Processors
Intel® Processors, Tools, and Utilities
14403 Discussions

Laptop CPU upgrade from T7100 to T9500?

PPete9
Novice

Hi all,

I'm going to upgrade my laptop CPU just to give it a bit more power. I've currently got a T7100 installed in my MAXDATA ECO4511IW.

Current Specs:

OS = Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate x86

CPU = Intel Core2Duo T7100, 1800 MHz (runs at 1v - 1.175v, temp < 55 deg C)

M/B Chipset = Intel Crestline-GM GM965

Southbridge = Intel 82801HBM ICH8M-DO

RAM = 1 x 4 GB DDR2-800 DDR2 SDRAM (set to 5-5-5-15 @ 333 MHz, 1.8v)

3D Accel. = Intel GMA X3100

HDD = SAMSUNG HM160HI ATA Device (160 GB, 5400 RPM, SATA)

I've compared other similar CPU's using http://ark.intel.com/compare/33917,33918,29759,29762,31729 Intel's web site; including the T9500, T9300, T7700 and the T7800.

However I am uncertain if I can put the T9500 in. I'd like to be able to if I can but am confused about my options. The laptop was released and manufactured before the release of the T9500 and T9300. In my manual (found http://ftp.maxdata.de/MAXDATA%20Notebooks/Archive/Manuals/MAXDATA%20ECO%204511%20IW/ECO_4511_IW_ENG.pdf here - PDF), under specifications it states "Intel® Core™2 Duo Processor up to T7700 (up to 2.4 GHz), μFC-PGA package (Socket P), Intel® 965GM & ICH8-M".

From the information provided by the Intel Site; is it possible to have the T9500 for my laptop or should I stick with what the manual states around only installing as far as the T7700?

Thanks for your help in advanced,

Pete 8)

Changed forum bb code to this forum formatting ...

0 Kudos
1 Solution
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi charityalbumman,

The processors you mentioned are similar and it may work in your system; however, it is very important to say that the processor compatibility list for your computer is provided by the manufacturer only.

As I mentioned before, the processors are similar but that does not mean that the chipset in your computer can support it. My best recommendation is to contact the computer manufacturer and confirm with them the compatibility between the components.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
Kevin_M_Intel
Employee

Hi charityalbumman,

The processors you mentioned are similar and it may work in your system; however, it is very important to say that the processor compatibility list for your computer is provided by the manufacturer only.

As I mentioned before, the processors are similar but that does not mean that the chipset in your computer can support it. My best recommendation is to contact the computer manufacturer and confirm with them the compatibility between the components.

0 Kudos
RTitt
Novice

Hi, I too have struggled over the years with cpu compatability questions but have found usually if the cpu FSB speed and the chipset FSB speed match, as well as the socket it is usually a match. In your case everything lines up correctly . You should be very happy with the increase in performance you will achieve. The T9300 is also a very good match for you. A link that may help you follows http://forum.notebookreview.com/hardware-components-aftermarket-upgrades/209284-intel-mobile-processor-compatibility-guide.html Intel Mobile Processor Compatibility Guide Good luck to you...dustt57

PPete9
Novice

Hi,

To inform it has installed perfectly fine has the T9300.

RTitt
Novice

Great ! I'm happy for you. I've used the T9300 a couple of times in upgrades and it is a great little processor. The only other thing I would suggest is a high quality thermal paste and always replacing thermal pads also. I use Gelid Extreme or Mx4 for best results. Good Luck to you...

0 Kudos
PPete9
Novice

I've always used Artic's MX4 paste on desktops and laptops. Is it alright replacing the thermal pads with paste?

0 Kudos
RTitt
Novice

I have in instances where it is heatsink to die contact but haven't where it's contact with ram or memory module material (chips). TIM pads are relatively inexpensive on e-bay...I prefer Laird T-FLEX 750 thermal pads from rnrcomputer (r n r) or ThermFlo T 725 pads from questtech....both on e-bay. Heat and dust are the worst enemy of laptops so you can never go wrong with replacing old TIM material when servicing your laptop. Good luck to you...

0 Kudos
PSing26
Beginner

Hi I myself looking for up-gradation of my laptop. It has T7100 core 2Duo processor.

Due to my novice in this field I went for looking directly for an i3 processor but soon realized it won't go along with my current motherboard limitness.

so now that I know that it's not that simple to upgrade it to any available processor. I would like to know will T9300 and T9500 processors cause any problem.

as charityalbumman stated, T9300 is working fine then in Jan 2014. Is it still going fine..

Also where to buy these processors, thermal paste, thermal pads (those referred above) I live in India.

And is there any heating problem caused till now.

please reply....
0 Kudos
PPete9
Novice

Prabhat1389 it was and sorry for the serious delay in reply. I no longer use that laptop.

0 Kudos