5 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 12:57 PM by Nightshade

Is the DX79SR LGA 2011 socket compatible with the i7-4960x? PLEASE HELP

Nightshade

I'm building my 1st pc and I'm so excited!  I just recently bought the i7-4960x LGA 2011 chipset thinking it would be compatible with my motherboard DX79SR because it stated on the link Intel® Desktop Board DX79SR

At product launch, this Intel® Desktop Board DX79SR supports:

Because of that, I assume it is compatible to any chipset that is LGA 2011.  But then I found this website, http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-034539.htm

in which I was heartbroken.  Is this processor compatible or not?  Even the the representative from TigerDirect found that two different Intel links are contraindicating with one another and unable to tell me for sure because his experience was that all LGA sockets are compatible with all LGA chipsets.  I hate to attempt to try it because I don't want to run the chance of ruining my motherboard.  I'm so saddened but would be grateful someone can tell me for sure especially someone from Intel.  I spent over a grand for this latest chipset but I'm going to cry if this isn't compatible.  Why Intel?  I have always been behind your products.

Sincerely,

Sue Ann

• 1. Re: Is the DX79SR LGA 2011 socket compatible with the i7-4960x? PLEASE HELP
          kevin_intel

Hi Nightshade,

I am going to verify with the corresponding department to confirm with them if the board is compatible with those processors. I will be back with more updates about this.

• 2. Re: Is the DX79SR LGA 2011 socket compatible with the i7-4960x? PLEASE HELP
            Nightshade

I really appreciate your assistance.

Well, I talk to a rep via chat.  He saw the discrepancies on the links that I gave.  He said it wasn't compatible but I'm really not happy with his answer because he visited a compatibility link on the website and it said no.  My question is that a reliable answer.  When you have three different Intel links, one saying pretty much "

At product launch, this Intel® Desktop Board DX79SR supports:

and another link saying it's not, ""Intel® Desktop Boards DX79TO, DX79SI, and DX79SR do not support these processors:

• 3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition
            • Intel® Core™ i7-4930K Processor
            • Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Processor"

Those links are a contraindication with another.  I would love a true response from a GENUINE INTEL Expert to confirm this issue and have them correct it on the website or something.  It's very MISLEADING.  Because of the rep, I went ahead and sent my CPU back to TigerDirect because I'm time limited in returning such items. Even the TigerDirect Rep thought it would be compatible based on the LGA 2011 socket on my motherboard DX79SR.  Therefore, that is why I bought it in the first place.  I spent over a grand on that chip. plus I had to pay return shipping with insurance!  I am so disappointed and heartbroken.  I felt that I was mislead.

• 3. Re: Is the DX79SR LGA 2011 socket compatible with the i7-4960x? PLEASE HELP
              kevin_intel

I am sorry you feel that way. I will confirm this for you as soon as I have the information.

• 4. Re: Is the DX79SR LGA 2011 socket compatible with the i7-4960x? PLEASE HELP
                kevin_intel

Hi,

On ark.intel.com we have a link from the board page that can show compatible processors. Here is that link for this board: http://processormatch.intel.com/Processors/CompatibleProcessors?componentName=DX79SR

The DX79SR does have a LGA 2011 socket. But it is not compatible with those processors as there is not bios for the board that will support them.

These processors are backward and forward compatible if the board manufacturer provided a BIOS update with the processor microcode updates:

•         2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-39xx Processor Extreme Edition

•         2nd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-3930K and i7-3820K Processors

•         3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition

•         3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4930K and i7-4820K Processors

Intel® Desktop Boards DX79TO, DX79SI, and DX79SR do not support these processors due to missing microcode:

•         3rd Generation Intel® Core™ i7-4960X Processor Extreme Edition

•         Intel® Core™ i7-4930K Processor

•         Intel® Core™ i7-4820K Processor

So in other words, that board does not support those processors. Also, the information in the page will be modified to be clearer.

• 5. Re: Is the DX79SR LGA 2011 socket compatible with the i7-4960x? PLEASE HELP
                  Nightshade

Thanks though.  *Sniff Sniff*  I had already sent back the CPU several days ago just waiting for a credit unfortunately I had to pay for the return shipping.  - Depressed