2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 27, 2013 11:49 AM by Tobias_Claren

Power Consumption: DH87RL vs DH87MC? / Most efficient Motherboard?

Tobias_Claren

Hi.

Is there a difference in the power consumption between DH87RL and DH87MC?

The c't magazine has build a 10W PC with the DH87RL:

Intel DH87RL

Intel Core i5-4570

8GByte (PC3-12600)

SSD Samsung 840 250 GB

Enermax Triathlor EWL300AWT

Will I have the same energy consumption with the DH87MC?

It offers more upgrade options (Slots).

Is there a motherboard that consumes even less energy?

Thanks,

Tobias Claren

• 1. Re: Power Consumption: DH87RL vs DH87MC? / Most efficient Motherboard?
          sylvia_intel

Tobias, definitely an ATX motherboard will consume more power than a Micro ATX since it has more chipsets and memory DIMMs included on it.

The difference between the two devices is not significant; it will depend on the additional components that are being installed on the board itself, like the processor, memory, video card, hard drives or SSDs.

The following information can be found on the TPS of both motherboards  (page 56 or 57)

• For example, for a high power system consisting of a supported 95 W processor (see Section 1.3 on page 16 for a list of supported processors), 4 GB DDR3 RAM, one high end video card, one hard disk drive, one optical drive, and all board peripherals enabled, the minimum recommended power supply is 460 W.

• For example, for a low power system consisting of a supported 45 W processor (see Section 1.3 on page 16 for a list of supported processors), 2 GB DDR3 RAM, integrated graphics, one SSD, one optical drive, and no extra onboard peripherals enabled, the minimum recommended power supply is a 320 W.
          • 2. Re: Power Consumption: DH87RL vs DH87MC? / Most efficient Motherboard?
            Tobias_Claren

No, I mean by the same configuration.

Only the boards withe the same "Intel Core i5-4570" CPU, two 4GB RAM, and without additional cards.

Only onboard grafic and sound.

The whole computer with DH87RL mainbaord needs (including SSD Samsung 840 250 GB hard disk) only 10.3W.

I mean only the idle :-) .

Only at idle pays to compare.