Please take a look at this thread: https://communities.intel.com/thread/46288
Some of the symptoms you mention look similar to those listed there and there's a solution in the thread.
Feel free to post if you have any further problems or if that solution doesn't work for you.
The link, you provided, is really useless.
Today, working with a very knowledgeable friend at Microcenter, we determined that there is a Windows 8.1 driver problem. The PC can see the Galileo, in the driver manager, but does not know what to do with it. The Galileo, probably needs the firmware updated BUT you cannot update the firmware without the serial working FIRST. We tried hours get the driver to work on two computers with Windows 8.1 and was not successful.
Intel should really make startup driver instructions explicit and detailed to each windows version!
I was able to install the drivers for windows 8.1 64-bit with no issues.
can you provide some details on the steps you took to intsall the driver.
Here is the path of the archive folder where i found usbser.sys
I installed it exactly, along with another Microcenter expert, per the Intel doc ... Galileo_GettingStarted_329685_004.pdf . We followed it to the T.
Then we spent two hours trying every known trick to have the computer recognize the driver to no avail.
Again, if you read my topic, I found the usbser.sys at the same archive folder location that you did!!!!
Please note: The computer in which the drivers was installed on was a virgin/new/pristine computer with windows 8.0 with 8.1 upgraded from Microsoft.
We think it could be one of three problems:
#1. Bad Galileo board
#2 Galileo board does not have the proper firmware on it.
#3 Driver problem with 8.0/8.1. <----- Note: Windows 8.1 came out after Galileo was made.