3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 22, 2013 2:15 AM by Fernando

Driver for Gigabyte-Board x58-Chipset wanted

mikeneuer

Hello,

I need help please, because I'm to stupid to find the latest

- Chipset-Driver

- Intel Rapid Storage Driver/Software

for my for Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD7 Rev 2.. :-(IRS

What I have to enter on the downloadcenter-page to get the driver?

I tried the automatic java driver finder too, but he says my old driver are "valid". May this is a bad translation to German. Sure, they are valid but for sure not the latest.

many thanks in advance and marry Christmas

Mike

• 1. Re: Driver for Gigabyte-Board x58-Chipset wanted
          Fernando

Hello Mike,

here are my answers:

1. You can use any actual Intel Chipset Device Software package ("INF Update Utility") for your X58 chipset mainboard. The newest set is v9.4.0.1027, the latest officially presented by Intel is v9.4.0.1022.

2. If you want to know the latest Intel RST driver for your X58 chipset system, you should tell us, which mode (IDE/AHCI/RAID) your Intel SATA Controller is running and which OS you have installed or want to install.

Regards

Fernando

• 2. Re: Driver for Gigabyte-Board x58-Chipset wanted
            mikeneuer

Hello Fernando,

thank you for your help!

1) Ok, I'll try the v9.4.0.1027

2) I tell you more about about my thought and my target.. Between Christmas Eve and New Year I want to rearrange all my data.

First of all, I want to install an new 512 GB SSD and setup a new dual boot system with Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64. This drive should operate in AHCI-mode.

On the same controller are 4 more 2TB "normal" SATA3 disk drives. At the moment, I'm not sure if I made

- 2 x RAID1

- 1 x RAID 5

- 4 x single drives

My pc is a home pc for private use only. I use it for software development and as storage for my private movies. The movies will be streamed to the smartphone, tablets and the tv in my LAN.

Now, the disk drives are connected to the several controller which are provided on the motherboard (Gigabyte, Marvell). I think, this was not a good idea. If I copy big movies from one drive to the next, sometimes it takes a long time and in the resource monitor I see a long disk drive waiting queue (I hope this is the correct translation).

I know, RAID is not a backup-feature! My backups I made to 2 external 4 TB USB3 disk drives. To improve the throughput, I want to setup RAID

Many thanks in advance and Marry Christmas

Mike

• 3. Re: Driver for Gigabyte-Board x58-Chipset wanted
              Fernando

mikeneuer schrieb:

First of all, I want to install an new 512 GB SSD and setup a new dual boot system with Windows 7 x64 and Windows 8.1 x64. This drive should operate in AHCI-mode.

On the same controller are 4 more 2TB "normal" SATA3 disk drives. At the moment, I'm not sure if I made

- 2 x RAID1

- 1 x RAID 5

- 4 x single drives

Now, the disk drives are connected to the several controller which are provided on the motherboard (Gigabyte, Marvell). I think, this was not a good idea.

Hello Mike,

if you want to run your new 512 GB SSD in AHCI mode and to keep your RAID arrays, you have to connect them to different SATA Controllers. You should check out yourself the best combination.

If you really want to stick with your RAID arrays and to run the SSD in AHCI mode, I recommend to use the Intel SATA ports for your RAID arrays. In this case you should connect your new SSD to one of the Marvell SATA ports.

By the way: According to my experience the best performing Intel RAID driver for the Intel ICH10R SATA RAID Controller is the RST v11.2.0.1006 WHQL.

Merry Christmas!

Fernando

1 of 1 people found this helpful