Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

7260-AC experiencing dropouts with 16.6.0.8

PKiel
Beginner

Hi all,

I just bought a Lenovo T440s which I promptly did a clean install of Windows 8.1 on. The laptop has been preforming well, but the WiFi situation is another matter. I am experiencing frequent dropouts where the OS will still think it's connected to the WiFi access point, but packets will just simply stop flowing.

I've tried everything that has been suggested on other forums. Disabling power settings, changing preferred band to 2.4gig, setting the card to 802.11b/g mode only, etc. Nothing seems to help. I've tried disabling the bluetooth functionality both in BIOS and in device manager but I still experience dropouts.

This is very frustrating for two reasons: I am a consultant and go on-site to work with client equipment so having my connection die for no reason repeatedly is both unprofessional and awkward, not to mention disruptive if I'm working with a time sensitive issue. The second reason is that Lenovos have a wifi card whitelist so I can't simply replace this M.2 NGFF WiFi card with something that works better. I need Intel to address the situation with their drivers, or I need to resort to something ugly and hack-ish like an external USB wifi adapter which, quite frankly, is unacceptable having just spent $1400 on a new laptop.

I've religiously updated the drivers and software as recommended by both Lenovo and Intel and I'm still experiencing the frequent dropouts. Is there light at the end of this tunnel? I'd be happy with a glimmer of hope right now.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

I am really sorry for the issue you are experiencing.

A new driver version will be released soon, please stay tuned.

It is also recommended to update your AP's firmware.

We are looking for volunteers to help us testing and debugging drivers, in case you are interested please consider the points explained here: /message/208369# 208369 https://communities.intel.com/message/208369# 208369

0 Kudos
Jku2
Beginner

I am having exactly the same issue here, spent $2500 on my new Vaio Pro to find it can not do simple task like stay connected to the internet. WIFI cuts in and out, with web pages hangs and times out all the time. I am in real frustration here, and there is nothing Sony can do about it. I even purchased a new d-link WIFI-n router hoping it will resolve this issue, but apparently not... Please advise if there is a stable and compatible wifi router that we can buy to resolve this issue? I have done a lot of research online, and looks like there is no solution to this yet! I really wish the new driver will address this issue, and we need this update asap!!

0 Kudos
tvete
Valued Contributor II

intelkiwi wrote:

I am having exactly the same issue here, spent $2500 on my new Vaio Pro to find it can not do simple task like stay connected to the internet. WIFI cuts in and out, with web pages hangs and times out all the time. I am in real frustration here, and there is nothing Sony can do about it. I even purchased a new d-link WIFI-n router hoping it will resolve this issue, but apparently not... Please advise if there is a stable and compatible wifi router that we can buy to resolve this issue? I have done a lot of research online, and looks like there is no solution to this yet! I really wish the new driver will address this issue, and we need this update asap!!

You shouldn't be forced to get a new router unless all of your devices experience the same WiFi issue at the same time. Just wait for the next driver update. In the mean time, contact Sony for your free WiFi USB adapter as a temporary fix for your issues because Sony acknowledged that there's a WiFi problem with their Vaio Pros.

Jku2
Beginner

I've endlessly searching for a solution around this, the issue seems to points to win 8.1 upgrade. I am trialing one tip I found, to reset and roll back the intel driver to the factory windows one. Go to device manager > network adaptor > update driver > find files from my computer > find from list > choose driver supplied by 'Microsoft'.

Driver version of the windows one is: 16.0.0.62

The wifi is now connected as 130mbps, a little slower than the intel driver, but it seems to provide more stability to my wifi connection. Will test more and report back in.

0 Kudos
HSzos
Beginner

I have tried your method but on the top of slower connection (network speed is identified as 54Mbps, which equals G type) the same drop out occurs So far I'm extremely disappointed with Intel AC experience.

System: Windows 8.1, 64-bit

WiFi: Intel® Dual Band Wireless-AC 7260

Drivers: All possible including Microsoft 16.0.0.61 and Intel 16.6.0.8 (current) and 16.5.3.0

0 Kudos