Server Products
Data Center Products including boards, integrated systems, Intel® Xeon® Processors, RAID Storage, and Intel® Xeon® Processors
4762 Discussions

2600GZ based server, bios issues, fan speed

BSmok
Beginner

We are basing an appliance on the intel , which is now 3 seperate components instead of a single sku:R2224GZ4GC, RMS25CB080 & RES2CV360

the bios that ships with the older R2224GZ4GCSAS sku has an incredibly quiet fan speed it defaults to, which is fine, because our appliance will only have low heat hybrid drives, or ssd's.

I have upgraded the bios on one of our test nodes to the latest available for download, which does fix some issues we had with pci bios memory posting errors, however it kicks the fans up to a much louder default speed, and no amount of adjusting settings in the bios is able to fix it.

what can i do to run the new bios, and maintain the fan setting from the shipped bios.

I'm concerned that the bios in the R2224GZ4GC will ship upgraded, and I don't want to have to downgrade.

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee
0 Kudos
BSmok
Beginner

this did not work, it still idles much faster than the shipped bios in these units. there may be an ever so slight improvement once it actually boots to vmware esxi 5.1, but nowhere near the quiet level that is on the shipped bios.

I just installed these files with startup.nsh

S2600GZ_GL_EFI_BIOS02010002_ME20107231_BMC1195018_FRUSDR111

Our use for this is an appliance, and the quiet was one of the reasons I liked the server. we'll be using laptop hybrids in our config, or ssd's so no need to have the fans spinning fast unless the cpu workload increases.

I downloaded the sel viewer for this system, but have never used it, is this a remote utility, or does it have to run local to the machine?

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=21003&keyword=sel&lang=eng SEL Viewer for UEFI/Windows*/Linux* for S1200/S1400/S1600/S2400/S2600/S4600
0 Kudos
Edward_Z_Intel
Employee

The SEL Viewer needs to be run locally. But since your system is configured with RMM4, you may also get SEL from RMM4.

Also try to change the BIOS settings below:

Advanced => System Acoustic and Performance Configuration

Choose Altitude for your location. Select "Acoustic" for "Set Fan Profile".

0 Kudos