7 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2009 10:36 AM by lental

DP45SG boot failure - PXE-E53 error code

lental

I have a four-month-old computer with an Intel DP45SG MB and an Intel dual core processor. It has been running well.

After attempting to install a secondary hard drive, my computer would not power up. I unplugged the drive but it still would not power up. Apparentlt in pushing in the sata plug to the MB, the pressure caused the MB to short on the chassis. I then pullled the MB away from the chassis and the computer started but would not boot. It gave me the following message:

Client MAC ADDR: 00 1C 99 9F FB    GUID: CDF1BD72 A171 11DD B9DE 00 E0188501 F7

PXE-MOF: EXITING iNTEL BOOT AGENT

BOOT FAILURE

Press any key to continue

Following the keypress the following message appeared:

PXE-E53: NO BOOT FILENAME RECEIVED

Press any key to continue

A visit to the Intel tech support was practically useless and attempts to contact tech support led me around in circles.

Can anyone tell me what that error code means in lay terms and what I have to do to fix it. I will reinstall the battery per Intel's instructions but it would help to know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks

• 1. Re: DP45SG boot failure - PXE-E53 error code
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi, are you trying to boot from the network or you HDD? You system cannot find a bootable device basically....

• 2. Re: DP45SG boot failure - PXE-E53 error code
            lental

I'm trying to boot from HDD. Also understand that it can't find a bootable disk but the HDD is running. Could it be a BIOS or CMOS problem?

• 3. Re: DP45SG boot failure - PXE-E53 error code
              Cpt.Dogfruit

It is hard to say right now.

Is it a Sata HDD, and is it recognized in the BIOS correctly?Can you hear it spin up at all when you boot the system?

If i were you i would do a cmos clear, then see if the HDD is recognized in BIOS, if it is and it is still not booting, i would try booting form a cd or a usb drive, if this works fine then it is time to reinstall windows.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: DP45SG boot failure - PXE-E53 error code
                pim

PXE is a mechanism to load the boot image from a network image server. You can switch this off in the bios.

I suppose you want to boot from the harddisk. Have a look at the boot sequence in the bios.

Set boot from harddisk at the top of the boot list.

• 5. Re: DP45SG boot failure - PXE-E53 error code
                  Javed Lodhi

Hi Lental,

Please do the needful as advised by Pim.

From within the BIOS, change your boot order priority setting HDD as primary and disabling PXE boot to skip network boot.

In case you still encounter problems, feel free to contact us.

Thank you, have a great day!

--

Warm Regards,

Javed Lodhi

Intel Go Green, Save The Environment!

• 6. Re: DP45SG boot failure - PXE-E53 error code
                    lental

Thanks to all who responded. By removing and replacing the battery I was able to get to the34 CMOs and found that all of my SATA ports were unavailable. The chassis on this computer has stamped-in standoffs but apparently they do not provide sufficient clearance so that a slight depression of the motherboard, such as would be expected when plugging in a SATA cable, will allow wireends on the bottom of the board to contact the chassis causing a short. In this case the SATA port wireends shorted and cauesd the port(s) to fail. Regular standoffs will not work because it would force the MB too far out and prevent the PCI and PCIe ports from being usuable. My solution is to place insulating material under the entire MB to prevent the wireends from coming in contact with the chassis, assuming that necessary grounding of the MB will be made through screw contaqcts between the chasis and the MB.

Again...thanks to all who responded.

• 7. Re: DP45SG boot failure - PXE-E53 error code
                      lental

As a follow-up to my last post: My new motherboard arrived and after switching out the prcessor from the old board, I installed it with a polymer sheet (similar to rubber) under the board insulating the entire board from contacting the chassis. I connected all drives including the old HD with a SATA adapter and the new SATA drive. The machine booted immediately. I then formatted the new drive then cloned the old drive and rebooted to the new cloned drive. I ran the system for a few days on the new drive with the old drive discoinnected to make sure all files tranferred properly to the new drive. Once I was satisfied, I reconnected the old drive and uninstalled virtually everything but Windows XP and Windows-related files. I want to keep windows in order to be able to boot to the old drive if the new one should fail at some time in the future.  Is this a good idea? I realize I can create a bootable disk which I will do as well but I'm not sure if it is a good idea to have two complete sets of Windows. Is there a possibility of conflicts? Would I be better off to simply format the old drive and start off clean?

One additional problem has occurred with the new board installation. When I attempt to restart my computer, Windows will not shut down automatically but must be shut down manually from the Task Manager. Once it shuts down, it will not reboot until the reset button is pushed. If I turn the machine off,from the off/on power switch,  it usually, but not always, reboots without pressing the reset button. A friend suggested that I should try reversing the +/- connectors on the motherboard. However, it seems to me that this might be a Windows problem rather than a MB problem.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks