6 Replies Latest reply on Jan 25, 2015 2:04 PM by peterst10

Boot problem Ubuntu on NUC D34010WYK

krille

Hi,

After installing Ubuntu successfully from USB the machine won't boot into Ubuntu.

I only get message: PXE-E61 Media test failure, check cable. PXE-M0F Exiting Intel Boot Agent.

Do I have to partition the disc in some special way before installing Ubuntu in order to get it to boot properly?

• 1. Re: Boot problem Ubuntu on NUC D34010WYK
          JasonHoffman

Hi Krille,

The PXE message indicates it's trying to boot from the network, not the hard drive.  Take a look at your bios settings and make sure the boot priority is set correctly.  Make sure the hard drive is set as a bootable device. If you're not planning to boot from your network I would turn off network booting to speed the boot process.

I hope this helps.

Jason

• 2. Re: Boot problem Ubuntu on NUC D34010WYK
            trooy

Hi Krille, Jason,

I spent about a day unsuccessfully trying to install Ubuntu 13.10/12.04 in both UEFI and legacy BIOS mode. In UEFI mode, the hard drive is not detected and in legacy mode, the kernel hangs. I figured regardless of whether UEFI or legacy mode is used, there's going to be an extra step involved, so I decided to stick with UEFI mode.

This website should help:

UEFI - Community Ubuntu Documentation

Basically, I followed the website and left Fast Boot and Intel Smart Response Technology disabled. The system booted the LiveUSB drive with secure boot enabled. Also, ensure that UEFI is checked/enabled in BIOS. Then install Ubuntu in UEFI mode (website has information on how to identify whether LiveUSB is booted with legacy or UEFI mode). After install, reboot using the LiveUSB drive and select "Try Ubuntu". Follow the instructions in the section, "Converting Ubuntu into EFI mode" to download/install the Boot-Repair utility and use it to separate the /boot/efi partition. Afterwards, the UEFI firmware was able to detect and boot Ubuntu 13.10 from the mSATA drive.

• 3. Re: Boot problem Ubuntu on NUC D34010WYK
              provo44

Hi,

I have ISOs of Xubuntu 13.10/12.04.3 on 4 flashes, only one flash works. I have only run that one live.

I decided to install Windows 8 instead.

>>tThe hard drive is not detected and in legacy mode, the kernel hangs. I figured regardless of whether UEFI or legacy mode is used, there's going to be an extra step involved, so I decided to stick with UEFI mode. <<

I think UEFI is for Windows OS's. I didn't recognize an extra step.

This is all I did. I went to Legacy and pushed the Flash to load first and then clicked the flash and up came the choice either to install or run without installing. I choose the latter. My guess is that if you click on the flash the positioning makes no difference.

I have tried 3 different web sites for downloading Linux. Have had problems with all. I sometimes could operate a flash live for a few times and then it would fail. I have an old XP machine in which I have installed Xbuntu 12.04  and its been as stable as a rock for over a year.

• 4. Re: Boot problem Ubuntu on NUC D34010WYK
                Vilis

Hi, Krille!

Recently I experienced the same problem.

Actually you should follow only this link: UEFI - Community Ubuntu Documentation

(and a few further links from this site).

// I did partitioning manually (<ubuntu> Allocate drive space -> Something else), and made the EFI partition 200MB as recommended. I am not sure the Ubuntu automated installation can manage creation of that special partition automatically (I'm a newbie:) )

Good look for everyone!

Vilis

• 5. Re: Boot problem Ubuntu on NUC D34010WYK
                  peterst10

I had the same problem after I installed Ubuntu 14.10 x64 from 4GB USB onto an Intel 530 120GB mSata in D54250WYK.  All I had to do  is to create a 400MB  "EFI partition" when creating the partitions and setting the mount points. However I think I could have done it without reinstalling the whole OS , just creating the EFI partition. Somebody try it out.

After the first failed boot I googled and read the uefi-ubuntu documentation.   After the install the system booted without any problem. I think the legacy boot was/is also enabled. The mSata SSD has GPT partition style , partitions in order are (1) EFI partition (2) swap area (3) system-files /

as @Vilis stated...

Actually you should follow only this link: UEFI - Community Ubuntu Documentation

(and a few further links from this site).

Creating an EFI partition

If you are manually partitioning your disk in the Ubuntu installer, you need to make sure you have an EFI partition set up.

• If your disk already contains an EFI partition (eg if your computer had Windows8 preinstalled), it can be used for Ubuntu too. Do not format it. It is strongly recommended to have only 1 EFI partition per disk.
                  • An EFI partition can be created via a recent version of GParted (the Gparted version included in the 12.04 disk is OK), and must have the following attributes:
                    • Mount point: /boot/efi (remark: no need to set this mount point when using the manual partitioning, the Ubuntu installer will detect it automatically)
                    • Size: minimum 100Mib. 200MiB recommended.
                    • Type: FAT32
                    • Other: needs a "boot" flag.