3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2013 4:35 PM by joe_intel

DH87MC

ShiningDragon

Hi!

Just one word before: english isn't my native language, so please excuse bad grammar by me. Unfortunately online translators are way to back to translate readable stuff.

I have a load of problems with the board above since i bought it.

- Yes, of course the used psu is compatible.

- The used Kingston RAM worked like charme in different Sandy Bridge systems.

Yes, i am an experienced pc user and built systems since the Intel 80286 AT (NEAT) era.

The problems with the above board raised since updating the bios to the current version of 0152.

System Specification

====================

Mainboard: Intel DH87MC // BIOS 0152

CPU: Intel i7-4770

RAM: 2x Kingston Value RAM (KVR1333D3N9K2/8G), JEDEC standard

dGPU: NVIDIA GEForce GTX 760

PSU: Antec TruPower 550

Display: HP w2448hc (HDMI connected to iGPU / DVI connected to dGPU) - not using softwarecrap like Lucid.

Low Priority

====================

1. The written versions in the bios readme are inconsistent. The summary on top doesn't reflect the versions within the description of the online-manual (VBIOS, GOP) http://downloadmirror.intel.com/23454/eng/MC_0152_ReleaseNotes.pdf

Medium Priority (since BIOS 0152)

====================

1. Wrong memory temperature: The mainboard is talking about 108 °C degree of the memory, which is totally wrong.

2. Not working limits for CPU-, Inlet- and Outlet-Fans anymore on Auto-Mode (it worked before the bios upgrade - for now i have to live with manual setting).

Medium Priority (since beginning)

====================

1. Haswell i7-4770 isn't able to use 4x Kingston Value RAM (KVR1333D3N9K2/8G) anymore. Using 4 memory slots leads to blackscreens after power on, freezes and reboots. The rams are fine anyway, i can exchange 'em as i want: 2 are fine, 4 are not working. The Haswell memorycontroller is a pain!

The same memory part's worked like charme on all of my i5-2500K (DH67BL) and i3-2105 (DQ67OW, DH67CF) and i3-550 (DH55TC) systems.

2. Using Native PCIe ASPM OS Management in Virtual BIOS leads to an extremely instable system. Freezing while working (not easy to reproduce) and freezing after standby (reproducable every time) leads to a non working system. The psu is well enough - it happen's even with C6 disabled and unpopulated PCIe/PCI Slots.

The both bugs before were so annoying that i already was thinking about sending the cpu and mainboard back to the reseller. It tooks HOURS to get the system running, even with placing recoverymode jumpers there were no picture available with used 4 ram slots.

High Priority (since HD Graphics Driver 10.18.10.3345)

====================

This is a special one, not many people will experience it.

I have connected my HP w2448hc display twice with my system. Via HDMI to the Haswell iGPU 4600 (including audio) and via DVI to the GEForce GTX 760 (excluding audio).

I like the QuickSync Feature and the power of 3D applications. The Haswell 4600 is a good one, but not comparable to a GTX 760.

Before upgrading the HD Graphics driver i could switch on the display between iGPU and dGPU without any problem. The active GPU was the primary one and worked fine.

After upgrading the driver (even a clean un-(install) in windows-safe mode) this didn't worked errorfree anymore.

- If i start with HDMI (iGPU) selected:

System starts up fine, Intel HDMI Audio is available, dGPU is as extended part available - this is perfect.

- If i switch to DVI (dGPU):

dGPU (GEForce GTX 760) is now the primary one, Intel HD 4600 (and audio) are disabled - this is fine too.

- If i switch back to HDMI (iGPU):

Although iGPU Video is available, the Intel HDMI Audio is NOT available anymore. The devicemanager shows an exclamationmark. It can't be started until rebooting the whole machine again.

This worked errorfree on the previous driver. Unfortunately a driver rollback doesn't work anymore, even after a clean uninstall. The new driver has something changed in the os which i can not identify.

Btw., the same new driver makes problems on hdmi / dvi connections on DH67BL, DH67CF and DQ67OW machines too. Installing this driver leads to a blackscreen. Only solution ist to replug the connection cable between machine and display. A driver downgrade via windows-safeboot doesn't help here, because the new driver is changing something, what it should NOT do (perhaps BIOS? system drivers? registry?).

--------------------

To be honest, i am very disappointed with the lack of support of the new generation of mainboards. While the x6x productline was an example for high quality support, the x8x line is a complete different thing.

I've planned to replace all of the sandy bridge and clarkdale systems to a haswell based one (10 pc's - i love those machines and home theater pc's, server services etc.) - but with my experiences until now i will not buy a haswell (refresh) based system anymore. Way too much bugs and way to bad support and driver quality now. I never experienced this with intel products anytime before - this is nearly amd style. -.-

PS: I don't think we have to "reproduce" any steps after this clear description and can inform the engineers directly. Do you agree?

• 1. Re: DH87MC
          joe_intel

My comments on the issues:

Versions written in BIOS readme file: I see what you mean and we will take a look into it.

Memory compatibility: We recommend using tested memory models listed here:

Intel´┐Ż Desktop Board DH87MC; System memory

http://www.cmtlabs.com/2012/mbSearchResults.asp?sManuf=Intel&sMem=DDR3&sMN=DH87MC&oSubmit=Search

Switchable graphics issue: This motherboard model was not designed with this specific feature in mind. There are other motherboards supporting this feature along with the Lucid Virtu software. Intel® HD Graphics was not designed to manage video output with third party graphics card, for that purpose there is Lucid Virtu on supported motherboards.

For the second generation Intel® processors (i5-2xxx) with 6 Series Intel® motherboards we recommend version 15.28.20.64.3347. For the i3-550 you may use 15.22.58.64.2993. The version ending in 3345 is compatible with third and fourth generation Intel® processors only. I guess you saw the list of motherboards there, but the graphics controller is in the processor. I know it may be misleading and I am sorry for that.

I will need more time to check on the memory temperature, fan speed limit, and PCI Express ASPM issues. I will keep you posted.

• 2. Re: DH87MC
            ShiningDragon

Hello joe_intel!

Thank you for taking a look inside these issues.

My memory is compatible, of course:

Memory Search | Kingston

http://www.kingston.com/dataSheets/KVR1333D3N9_8G.pdf  (K2 in my rams means: kit of TWO).

Switchable Graphics:

I am sure, that i've used the wrong words for this. I don't meant the behavior of an NV Optimus oder Lucid Virtu stuff, which btw. never works 100 % rockstable (i played enough on the DH67xx mainboards with this stuff and decided to remove this unstable softwarecrap).

The iGPU and dGPU are used simultanously. They're both connected to the same LCD (they've could be connected to 2 LCDs too, but this just would need more space and more energy and is for my working ambiente not neccessary).

It worked before and stopped after upgrading the graphics driver. A clean driverdowngrade doesn't work anymore (this was already before BIOS 0152) and i am not willing to reinstall the os because of this. It's a failure of the graphics driver.

I am not talking about the kiddie-generation which believes, that Lucid would be a good solution to combine iGPU / dGPU and play loads of games, transcode via QuickSync and virtualize the output of the iGPU via dGPU - this stuff never worked well, and to be honest: I don't think that this will work fine ever. But that's another story and not part of this issue to the DH87MC.

At the graphics-driver issue: I mentioned the DH87MC and the D*67** Mainboards - not the DH55TC with i3-550.

You can Google for it. "Black screen after Windows loads". Powering off / on systems doesn't help, reinstall / downgrade older drivers doesn't help.

The only solution is to power up the machine until windows has loaded it's drivers, unplug the connection cable between Intel iGPU and LCD and replug it. Then the holy ghost is coming and gives the picture back (in general Intel HD Graphics drivers have problems with DDI/DDC connection since ever - especially the combination with the hp w2207h and hp w2408hc tft's are sometimes painful. If it's working, don't touch it - otherwise it will break up.

The errors with memory temperature and fan speed limit belongs togeter. If i raise the MAX LIMIT of memory temp in the bios, i can take over control of the fans again. It seems to be a security function of the board to ignore limited fan settings, if a part ist way too hot.

So the fan problem should be resolved, if the wrong memory-temp reading was fixed.

I'll stay tuned and wait for your feedback. Thank you for your response!

• 3. Re: DH87MC
              joe_intel

All I am saying regarding the 6 series Intel® motherboards is that the driver version to be used depends on the processor installed. So, if you have a Sandy Bridge, the correct version is 15.28.20.64.3347. The driver version ending in 3345 is for Ivy Bridge or Haswell only.

In regards of the Intel® DH87MC, I may suggest a Windows* System Restore for the time being. I will report the issues you have described.