6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 6, 2009 12:54 PM by browwi

dp45sg - all usb dead

browwi

I just fired up my new board, and everything is fine.  It boots up with Windows XP.  However, all USB ports (including PCI expansion ports) seem totally dead which means neither my kybd nor mouse will work.  Help!

• 1. Re: dp45sg - all usb dead
          unplugged_24

Hi there,

If it's a new board, try updating the bios to latest if you have not already done so.

You will not be able to use the express update method since your keyboard and mouse are not working on the os. So you could try either the recovery method or the iflash method.

Link to bios update: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&Inst=Yes&ProductID=2932&DwnldID=17617&strOSs=38&OSFullName=OS%20Independent&lang=eng

Read the instruction carefully: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/17617/eng/BIOS%20Update%20Readme.pdf

Make sure that you have installed all the drivers properly. Concerning the drivers for the board, you should always install the chipset (inf) drivers first and then audio then the remaining. Try using the latest drivers downloaded from the Intel Website. Latest drivers: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/Product_Filter.aspx?ProductID=2932

Is your keyboard working fine in bios?

Also check to see if there are not shot circuit between the board, the components and the pc case. If you have usb front panel connect, you can try disconnect it and see if it makes any difference.

Check that your power supply is powerful enough to satisfy the power requirements for all the components that you are using on the system.

Let me know how it goes.

Cheers

• 2. Re: dp45sg - all usb dead
            Aryan2411

Hello there,

To be honest, i have seen this issue only with not up-to-date windows and after installation of chipset driver i got this problem.

So here are what i have tried and it worked for me:

- enable usb port in the bios and enable usb legacy as well

- update the latest bios if necessary

- re-install the windows on the formatted drive
            - update the service pack.
            - install lan driver from the board download page.
            - update the windows.
            - then install the rest of the drivers from the board download page.

All the best,

Regards,
            Aryan

• 3. Re: dp45sg - all usb dead
              browwi

I tried the items you suggested.  Reloading the BIOS ran for an hour.  Nothing ever appeared on the screen and the CD reader was still working.  I stopped it and tried to start up normally, but got an "NVRAM Error"  It asked me to hit Enter to continue, but the keyboard is still not working.  I am running the BIOS restore once again.

• 4. Re: dp45sg - all usb dead
                browwi

The keyboard does not work in BIOS, so I cannot try your solution.

• 5. Re: dp45sg - all usb dead
                  unplugged_24

Hi there,

If the above troubleshooting step has not make any difference in the issue, please can you try downgrading the bios to a previous version and see if the issue remains.

Since you are not having access to the usb keyboard or usb devices, you will have to do the bios 'downgrade' by the recovery method. Follow the steps below:

Download the previous bios file from this link: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/license_agr.aspx?url=/17492/eng/SG0112.BIO&ProductID=2932&agr=Y&sType=&PrdMap=&DwnldId=17492&strOSs=38&OSFullName=OS%20Independent&lang=eng
                  Put the file on a blank cd, this should be the only file on the cd and the cd need not be a bootable cd.
                  Put the cd in the cd/dvd drive.
                  Power off the system.
                  Clear the cmos, by removing the motherboard battery and put it back after about 30 minutes.
                  After putting the battery back, remove the bios configuration jumper completely.
                  Start the system, it will boot automatically to the cd and will initiate the bios update.
                  When this finishes, it will prompt you to power off the system, put the jumper back to its normal position and then start the system.
                  See if the usb issue remains.

Let us know how it goes.

Cheers

• 6. Re: dp45sg - all usb dead
                    browwi

Things seem to be working now.  I did the following:

1)  Major upgrade to power supply (330 watts to 850 watts).  As part of my upgrade I had added a power hog graphics board.  I think the PS was probably the root cause of the problem, but by the time I got to fix that, I had screwed up other stuff.

2)  Reset the CMOS and downloaded a new BIOS per your suggestion.  It didn't install as smoothly as I might have liked (it churned away for 30 minutes before I killed the process), but it seems to have worked.

3)  I must have damaged my KYBD and mouse somewhere along the way, but when I replaced them things began working.

Thanks for you help.