3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 22, 2014 9:49 AM by Clayton Hofrock

Don't leave the Serial console open when you power cycle the Galileo

Clayton Hofrock

I am using the Arduino IDE in Windows. I have noticed that if I leave the Serial Console open (the Serial Console launched from within the IDE) and I power cycle the Galileo board, I cannot ever see the Galileo listed in the Serial Port list.

The COM port for the Galileo is still seen by Windows, I can see it in the device manager, but it does not show up in the Arduino IDE. I have tried restarting the IDE, but that does not fix the problem.

The only thing that fixes it is by restarting the host machine. Which gets annoying after the 12th time of doing that.

I hope this can be fixed in the next revision, or that someone has a known work around for this problem.

• 1. Re: Don't leave the Serial console open when you power cycle the Galileo
          AlexT_Intel

Just tried and couldn't reproduce that. What I did was:

1) With Galileo connected to the power adapter and USB port open the IDE and serial port monitor;

2) Unplug the power adapter. Galileo happily continues to run on the USB power :-D Uplug the USB cable. Galileo switches off, Windows makes the sound notifying the COM port (USB device) is gone and it disappears from the Device manager;

3) Plug the power adapter back in, plug the USB cable back in - in a while Windows finds port again, if the number has changed - I'm able to select it in the IDE.

I've tried it several times and not always it continues to run on USB power at step 2 (confirming the documentation warning to have it powered through the adapter at all times), but that didn't change the effect on the IDE.

Care to describe it step-by-step to see if I could reproduce it? I think it would be easier to push this through as a bug if it's reproducible :-)

• 2. Re: Don't leave the Serial console open when you power cycle the Galileo
            IRCAnonymous IRCAnonymous

Which version of Windows are you using ? This is important in attempting to re-create the problem

Have you tried to use the device manager to scan for hardware changes, or deleting the com port in the DM ? These wouldn't be real fixes, but may make it a hair easier to deal with in the short term

• 3. Re: Don't leave the Serial console open when you power cycle the Galileo
              Clayton Hofrock

I have only used Windows 7 64-bit for my testing. I usually connect through a KVM (with USB) switch, that is connected to a powered hub (which does not have enough power to drive the Galileo). The rather unique hardware setup might be causing the problem?

There are two different failure modes I have seen with the COM port:

1. Windows can correctly see the device (meaning when you unplug the USB, the device goes away, and when you re-plug in the device, it shows up in the Device Manager) but no matter what you do, the IDE does not ever recognize the COM port.
                • This can be fixed by restarting the Host system, or by changing to another USB port (which will enumerate a different COM port).
              2. Neither Windows nor the IDE will detect when the USB is disconnected.
                • I have only seen this once, and I am not sure how it happened.
                • I was able to fix it by uninstalling the COM device driver, and then scanning for hardware changes (which will re-install the driver)