5 Replies Latest reply on Feb 8, 2014 9:07 PM by DAM

Where did my files go?

Clayton Hofrock

When I download a sketch to my Galileo which is booting off of the SD card, the sketch is saved to a file.

If I removed the SD card and plug it into my computer, how do I find that Sketch? The whole Linux directory structure seems to be hidden? Where does it go? Is there anyway that I can unzip it?

• 1. Re: Where did my files go?
          arduino_4_life

even when you're booting from SD, you can still mount the SD card and read/write files.

While the board is booted, mount the sd card

mount /dev/mmc* /media/card  (should be mmcblk0p1 or something like that)

copy the sketch file to the SD card

cp /sketch/sketch.elf /media/card

unmount SD card

umount /media/card

then you can stick the card in your PC and get the sketch.

• 2. Re: Where did my files go?
            Clayton Hofrock

So, if I understand correctly. If I need to access the files in the Linux root directory say for instance /home/root I would have to copy the files to the folder that contains the root for the SD card. In my case it is /media/mmcblk0p1    (multimediacard Block 0 Partition 1)

Is there anyway to access the files without having to boot the drive? I would like to manipulate files in the Linux root directory structure from my laptop.

• 3. Re: Where did my files go?
              AlexT_Intel

Galileo's filesystem is actually contained in the *.ext3 file you create during BSP build (or download from the intel.com). It's loop-mounted during the boot.

What arduino_4_life is referring to is the fact that you can mount the actual SD card and simply copy the file(s) there - and they will be visible in Windows too.

And I can tell you it's even simpler than that, because the default boot process mounts the SD card right away:

root@clanton:~# mount

<cut>
              /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/realroot type vfat <<< [Alex: This is the SD card]

/dev/loop0 on / type ext3 <<< [Alex: This is the loop mount for the *.ext3 file]

<cut>
              /dev/mmcblk0p1 on /media/mmcblk0p1 type vfat <<< [Alex: This is SD card again, but /media/realroot is more convenient]
              <cut>

root@clanton:~# ls -alF /media/realroot/

drwxr-xr-x    4 root     root          8192 Jan  1  1970 ./

drwxr-sr-x   11 root     root          1024 Jan  1 00:00 ../

drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          8192 Nov 28  2013 boot/

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       2051888 Nov 28  2013 bzImage*

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root       1700393 Nov 30  2013 core-image-minimal-initramfs-clanton.cpio.gz*

-rwxr-xr-x    1 root     root     314572800 Jan  1 00:00 image-full-clanton.ext3*

drwxr-xr-x    3 root     root          8192 Nov 30  2013 old/

So you can just run

mkdir /media/realroot/my_sketches

cp /sketch/sketch.elf /media/realroot/my_sketches

To get the sketch into SD card\my_sketches dir, which you should be able to see on any Windows machine.

More exotic way would be to mount the filesystem image file on Windows directly, but AFAICS (I didn't search too hard though) there's no nice and robust solution for that, all the drivers/utilities either unstable or have limitations.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
              • 4. Re: Where did my files go?
                DAM

I think that it is simpler to use

ls /sketch

to see the sketch files and go from there.

rm /sketch/sketch.elf

I also removed the .old file and the sketch directory all to no avail with multiple reboots in the process.

What did work for me was... powerring it down, backing up my Galileo subdirectory (ie all the files that I had put on the card) Erasing the card and re-copying the image to it.

• 5. Re: Where did my files go?
                  DAM

WinSCP will show you and allow editing of the files directly in the Galileo.