3 Replies Latest reply on Dec 5, 2013 6:50 AM by JasonHoffman

D34010WYK - SATA HDD

mbrazdil

Hi all,

I have a question. Can I connect 2.5" SATA HDD to Intel NUC Kit D34010WYK ? I noticed that the motherboard is led SATA data and power connector.

• 1. Re: D34010WYK - SATA HDD
          JasonHoffman

Hello,

Yes you can. You'll want to be sure to use the correct SATA power cable.  Here's one that works: http://www.microsatacables.com/15-pin-sata-female-to-female-power-cable/

Keep in mind that in that case you won't be able to attach a SATA drive and still have the case closed.  The taller NUC case (coming out this month) is designed to allow for an internal SSD, but the smaller case doesn't.

I hope this helps.

Jason

• 2. Re: D34010WYK - SATA HDD
            mbrazdil

Thank you for your response. At home I have Intel SSD 530. Will be able to close the case NCU, when I removed the cover from the SSD?

PS: How much will the more powerful variant of the NCU with Intel i5 fourth generation?

• 3. Re: D34010WYK - SATA HDD
              JasonHoffman

It's unlikely it would be able to fit.  The NUC is made to be as small as possible and that means the case is a very tight fight. Also, if you did manage to fit it, you'd probably run into heating issues.  The SATA port is really meant to be used in the taller NUC case or an after-market case.  The reason it's there in the smaller case is that the same board is used.

The performance difference going from the i3 to the i5 depends on what you're doing with it.  If you're browsing the web or doing word processing, for example, you won't see much of a difference.  But if you're playing games or doing relatively CPU-heavy tasks the difference is noticeable. The big jump I noticed was in graphics performance. The i3 uses the Intel 4400 HD GPU which is no slouch.  But the i5 uses the Intel 5000 HD GPU and it makes a difference.