14 Replies Latest reply on May 31, 2015 6:43 AM by kumar.hs

Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K

Nestor Leal Jr

Hi guys,

I've never really used the Grey Marvell SATA ports, but now I wanted to add another HDD and decided to and cannot for the life of me get them to work. Is there anything I need to do?

I have secondary SATA enabled in BIOS. And when I go to BIOS to see my sata ports, it only shows my Intel SSD connected to SATA 0 and doesn't show any of my connected drives.  It also does not show my grey SATA ports in BIOS?  Only shows SATA 0-5

Blue SATA 0: Intel 520 240gb SSD

Blue SATA 1: Seagate 1.5tb Barracuda HDD

Black SATA 2: 500gb Seagate Barracuda HDD

Black SATA 3: 1.5TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Black SATA 4: DVD Burner

Black SATA 5: Bluray Drive

Grey SATA 6: 3TB Seagate Barracuda HDD

Grey SATA 7: Empty

I'm using:

Motherboard: Intel DZ77GA-70K

BIOS Version: 0066

BIOS Mode: UEFI

Any help would be much appreciated as I want to get my new 3TB HDD working. Thanks

• 1. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
          sylvia_intel

Hello Nestor, make sure you install the Marvel SATA driver located on the following link Download Center    

Let me know if it worked for you.

• 2. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
            Nestor Leal Jr

Every time I click on your link, it just sends me to this post. But I had already installed the correct driver i think?

Marvell (RAID) SATA Driver version 1.0.0.1062

10/25/2013

• 3. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
              Nestor Leal Jr

I guess I should have said that even with driver, my hard drive connected to the Marvell grey SATA port is not being recognized.

• 4. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                Nestor Leal Jr

So I had some free time and decided that I wanted all my drives to work! Started troubleshooting and doing lots of Google searches.  I finally got the Marvell SATA ports to be recognized and work by doing two things.

1.  Secure Boot has to be DISABLED

2.  The "Legacy Boot" option has to be ENABLED and all three Fast Boot options have to be DISABLED.

Definitely sucks because I liked having Secure boot on and now computer takes considerably longer to boot up. But at least I get all the SATA ports to be recognized.

Anyone else experience this or have a fix?

IMG_20140103_174355_685.jpg

• 5. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                  Faust

Hi,

I have some different problem with the same Controller in the same Desktop Board.

And i found sollution by my self,just by downgrading the bios from 0066 to 0064 version (and older).In older versions it works to.

My problem was by hot plug function with Marvell (Sata Grey ports),which you can't control in bios.

In 066 bios version this function just turned off,until you plug in the hdd before turning on the pc.

I think is the bug of 0066 firmware by changing some invisible options,which you can control over bios.

With 064 and older all works fine.Fact is,that some changes with Marvell controller is maked in bios over 0064.

You can try,maybe it helps you to.

I hope it helps

Good luck.

• 6. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                    sylvia_intel

Guys thanks a lot for the information. I already provided feedback about the issue with  the Marvell SATA port to the Engineering team. You may want to check the following thread  DZ77GA-70K Bios Updates Suggestions..

I really apologize for all this inconvenience.

• 7. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                      Submariner

With BIOS 066: Secure Boot, UEFI Boot

Windows 8 Device Manager; Storage controllers: shows one Marvell Controller, which is for the eSATA

Viewing SATA devices in BIOS shows no devices attached to any of SATA ports (primary and secondary).  No boot devices are attached in boot priority, but it does boot into windows.

With BIOS 066: UEFI Boot, Legacy Boot

Viewing SATA devices in BIOS show all the devices attached to the SATA ports (primary and secondary).  Shows multiple boot devices in boot priority.

Windows 8 Device Manager; Storage controllers: shows two Marvell Controllers, one is for the eSATA, the other shows hard drive and optical drive.

With BIOS 064: Secure Boot, UEFI Boot

Windows 8 Device Manager; Storage controllers: shows two Marvell Controllers, one is for the eSATA, the other shows hard drive and optical drive.

Viewing SATA devices in BIOS show no devices attached to any of SATA ports (primary and secondary).  But does show the UEFI boot devices in boot priority.

With BIOS 064: UEFI Boot, Legacy Boot

Viewing SATA devices in BIOS show all the devices attached to the SATA ports (primary and secondary).  Shows multiple boot devices in boot priority.

With either BIOS 064 or 066, will not boot from the secondary controller devices, by either selection with the F10 key or moving the device to top of order in boot priority.

• 8. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                        Nestor Leal Jr

Any word if we are ever going to get a BIOS update for the DZ77GA-70K?

Running Legacy mode makes me sad

• 9. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                          Goshzilla

I'm having the same issue with Marvell ports not recognizing under secure boot under legacy mode works fine. Running BIOS rev. 66 and I have tried different ways of installing the Win 8 OS. Intel 6g ports seems to work just fine with secure boot. Even tried installing the OS under legacy mode in the marvell port. Installation went well, boots up, windows running, but once I switch over to secure boot the marvell ports isn't there in bios. So there is no way for me to boot up under secure boot. When I finally got the OS to run with secure boot under intel 6g ports the harddrives in the marvell ports weren't recognize. Device manager shows the driver is there.

• 10. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                            Nestor Leal Jr

I was able to get all my SATA ports working. Here is my configuration:

System Model: DZ77GA

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-3770K CPU

BIOS Version/Date: Intel Corp. GAZ7711H.86A.0064.2013.1822, 3/13/2013 (aka BIOS 064)

BIOS Mode: UEFI

Secure Boot State: On

OS Name: Microsoft Windows 8.1 Pro with Media Center

Version: 6.3.9600 Build 9600

I was NOT able to get it all to work in BIOS Version 0066, so rolled back to 0064 to get everything working.  Try that, hopefully it helps

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                              sylvia_intel

Thanks for sharing the information with us and other users.

• 12. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                                kumar.hs

I believe this problem was reported before active support for this board was stopped. Do Intel plan to fix this bug ? When can we expect an BIOS fix.

In general what is the position of the Intel about the bugs reported *before* active support for this board was stopped.

• 13. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                                  hansb_intel

HI kumar.hs

Please let me know what is the issue that is you having exactly and what ‘bug’ are you referring to? First we need to clarify whether or not your issue is related to this thread or  if it is addressed somewhere else. please be specific and add your system intergration information.

• 14. Re: Marvel (Grey SATA Ports) not working on DZ77GA-70K
                                    kumar.hs

If you read the thread, you will notice that 'Nestor Leal Jr' pointed the problem on 04-Dec-2013. Subsequently "sylvia_intel" on 08-Jan-2014 acknowledged the problem and forwarded it for analysis to engineering team. To summarize the problem for you:

1. Marvell SATA is totally broken/unusable in 066 Bios with SecureBoot enabled. The disk is not visible in 'explorer'
                                    2. Disabling the Marvell SATA renders system un-bootable. Black screen after Post, then nothing further.
                                    3. There is workaround: downgrade Bios to 064. This workaround has following problems

1. Breaks Win 8 installation with blue screen (this was fixed in 066)

2. Marvell SATA cannot be selected as bootdisk. Anything connect to Marvell SATA won’t appear in boot drive list. I guess someone forgot to include it as boot source list.

Since the problem was reported long back and workaround proves Intel broke some code between 064->066 I was hoping that Intel maintains professional commitment to fix the bug.

Let me know if you require further info.

My second part of question was more general FYI question : In general what is the position of the Intel about the bugs reported *before* active support for this board was stopped.