14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2013 4:29 PM by JasonHoffman

'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?

jphorx

Well it's now December (OK, just barely), do we have any more detail on the expected taller NUC models that will support a 2.5" drive?  I'd really like to know what CPU flavours we'll see and when they'll be available. 

I'm also curious if anyone has seen 3rd party enclosures for the bare boards that might already accommodate a 2.5" drive or even an optical drive.

• 1. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
          niksus

I've been expecting this for a long time too. I think the new cases will have the same boards inside, just added 2.5"drive space. You can see what Intel answered to the ETA question a few threads below.

There's only one 3rd party case so far that supports 2.5" drives and it costs almost as much as the NUC itself. Look for LGX ML320.

edit: Ok it seems the price is changing between 139$ and 249$ within a few days. Not that it matters, the case is still not really available.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
            JasonHoffman

The taller cases will, as niksus said, have the same boards as the shorter cases. That's why when you open the smaller case Haswell units they have the sata connectors on the board, even though you couldn't actually connect anything to them and still be able to put the case back on. It's the same board for both.

The last update I received said "mid-December".  Whether that means they'll magically appear at the halfway point or they'll start showing up sometime this month I don't know.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
              jphorx

Hi Jason,

Can we expect only i3 and i5 variants for these taller models? Or will there be Celeron and i7 versions as well? 

I'm also considering modding/building my own enclosure.  Do you think that the power supply in the NUC would be sufficient to power an optical drive plugged into to the SATA power/data ports?

• 4. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                JasonHoffman

There should be Bay Trail, i3, and i5 models.  As far as I know there are no plans for an i7 NUC, but I'll double-check that and reply again if I learn something new.

I checked with the team about the optical drive question.  Here's what they said: "As long as the
                optical drive does not require 12V then it should be okay."

When I ran my tests I used an external power supply for the bluray drive because I didn't have the right power cable to connect it to the motherboard.

• 5. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                  JasonHoffman

Ok, I was able to confirm there are no plans for an i7 NUC.

• 6. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                    niksus

jphorx, please post some pictures of your modded/custom enclosure, once you're done.

About the power requirements, I was scouting info about the possibilities, so I think it will not be a problem.

Here are some data about the models I picked:

WD Green 1.5/2TB: 5W spin-up (peak) and 1.7W read/write average

Samsung Spinpoint M9T 1.5/2TB: 5W spin-up (peak) and 2.3W average

Hitachi Travelstar 5K1500 1.5TB: 5W spin-up (peak) and 1.8W average

• 7. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                      jphorx

I've done some more research and unfortunately a custom or modded enclosure will be beyond my resources and skill level.  I guess for the near term I'll have to settle for a standard NUC with a USB-attached optical drive. 

I've searched high and low and haven't found any enclosures for NUC boards that incorporate a space for an optical drive.  For me, that would have made an already great platform perfect as a fully self-contained HTPC.

• 8. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                        jphorx

I'm sorry to hear that there won't be an i7 variant.  Does this mean we'll not see a NUC with Iris Pro graphics to compete with the upcoming Gigabyte Brix 2 Pro?

• 9. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                          niksus

There is one more NUC case released with 2.5" drive support: Akasa Tesla H is official now.

• 10. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                            jphorx

@JasonHoffman

Hi Jason,

Can you tell us what the model names are going to be for the taller kits?  It will help a lot to find them in online stores.

• 11. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                              JasonHoffman

Hi jphorx,

The model numbers for the taller cases will be the same as the smaller cases, with an 'H' tacked on. (the 'H' stands for 'hard drive').  So the i3 Haswell in the taller case will be D34010WYKH and the i5 Haswell in the taller case will be D54250WYKH.  I learned yesterday the units will start shipping in approximately 3 weeks, so they should be available via retail shortly after that.

I hope this helps.

Jason

• 12. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                                jphorx

Hi Jason,

It's unfortunate it will be available too late to be a Xmas present to myself.  Hopefully they're available in Canada before some competing platform gets shown at the 2014 CES show and makes me want something else.  Ah technology!

• 13. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                                  mushoss

Jason,

Can you check if Intel will offer a tall "enclosure only" for those of us who went ahead and purchased the new nuc.

• 14. Re: 'taller' Haswell NUC models and ETA?
                                    JasonHoffman

Hi mushoss,

That's something I asked when they first told me about the taller models.  I have the shorter model and would love to buy just the case.  Unfortunately there are no plans to sell the case by itself.  One of the reasons is that it's a very tight fit and even in the lab they've accidentally cracked the IR receiver window taking the board out of the case.

I would have loved to "upgrade my Haswell with the taller case, but it's not meant to be.

Jason