Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20495 Discussions

4:3 resolutions don't scale properly on 16:9 laptops

TIvan1
Beginner

I have an Acer Aspire 5349 laptop, using Intel HD Graphics 2000. Screen resolution is 1366x768.

However, when I try to play a 4:3 aspect ratio game (such as Diablo 2 with its 800x600 resolution), there's something wrong with the aspect ratio. Althogh the aspect ratio is maintained (black bars on the sides), the screen looks more like 5:4, rather than 4:3 aspect ratio (it's somewhat distorted horizontally).

It also happens with every 4:3 resolution I try (for example 640x480). Strangely, when I try using centered aspect ratio (1:1 pixel mapping), the game looks fine. But I don't like it, as it's rather small then. Long story short, 4:3 resolutions look too ''squarish'' on the 16:9 display, and they are squashed horizontally to a small degree.

Try it. If you have only Intel HD Graphics (without any dedicated GPU) run any 4:3 fullscreen game on your 1366x768 laptop, while maintaining aspect ratio (black bars on the sides). Doesn't look quite right, eh?

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

Hi TMHKR,

This problem seems related to lack of updated video drivers. I would recommend updating to the latest graphics drivers; you can test your computer by loading our generic drivers off the link below:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000/2000&ProdId=3319&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39 https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=2nd+Generation+Intel%C2%AE+Core%E2%84%A2+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics+3000/2000&ProdId=3319&LineId=1101&FamilyId=39

Make sure to select your operating system version and try to install that driver when it finishes downloading, to verify that your system will accept it.

Thanks

Allan

0 Kudos
TIvan1
Beginner

My processor is Intel Celeron B815. Driver's Readme file indicates that only 2nd generation Core, Pentium 2xxx, and Celeron 9xx processors are supported. Should I download it anyway?

I was looking here, but there are no available downloads:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=3523&DwnldID=23162&ProductFamily=Graphics&ProductLine=Laptop+graphics+drivers&ProductProduct=Intel%C2%AE+Celeron%C2%AE+Processors+with+Intel%C2%AE+HD+Graphics&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng Download Center

0 Kudos
TIvan1
Beginner

EDIT: Problem solved by installing the latest drivers. Many thanks, now my 4:3 resolutions are displayed properly.

0 Kudos
JTerr5
Novice

This is honestly the most annoying bug in the software. Any time you create a custom resolution at 4:3, you have NO OPTION to maintain aspect ratio. It's complete crap. The driver always decides to stretch full screen.

Please make this the # 1 thing to fix. Make it so we can MAINTAIN ASPECT RATIO for custom resolutions.

I'm purposely bumping all aspect ratio questions so you programmers know how serious of an issue this is.

Also fix the limited 60hz problem for monitors that can go to 120hz. That's another huge bug.

0 Kudos
Allan_J_Intel1
Employee

This problem has been reported here:

Allan.

0 Kudos