1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2016 6:38 PM by Deeznuts

Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)

NexEvan

Dear Intel

I have a problem about Galileo when installed USBdriver on host system(win7/x64).

Following the "Getting Started Guide"(329685-004US), step by step to Section4 on my host side system(win7/x64).

That I can found the "Gadget Serial v2.4" under Other devices in Device manger when connected the USB cable with Galileo.

But I can't install the driver even if copied "usbser.sys" file to windows driver folder  the note said.

The error message is "Windows was unable to install your Gadget Serial V2.4" (Windows could not find driver software for your device)

Please help~ thanks

• 1. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
          Intel_Jesus

Hi NexEvan,

On the Gadget Serial Properties click on the driver tab. Click on update driver, you will have two options select "Browse my computer for driver software." You will be prompted for a path, it should look something like this

C:\arduino-1.5.3\hardware\arduino\x86\tools

Regards

• 2. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
            NexEvan

Hi Intel_JEspinoza

I did it following your recommand, but still can not install the driver successful.

Could you help to check the attached image, if there has any flowing mistake.

By the way, is there any other way to install driver on Win7?

Thanks for your kindly help

Regards

• 3. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
              AlexT_Intel

Just to make sure - I see you've used exactly the same path Intel_JEspinoza has provided - the path you're entering there should be the one where you've unpacked the Arduino IDE.

Have you actually unpacked it into C:\arduino-1.5.3?

If yes - please show what's inside of the C:\arduino-1.5.3\hardware\arduino\x86\tools dir.

If not - use the "Browse..." button on the screen number 4 on your last screenshot and point it to the actual directory the Arduino IDE is unpacked into.

• 4. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                NexEvan

Hi Alex

I can make sure that the path is extracted correctly and the driver file "linux-cdc-acm.inf" is existed.

But the message always show "Windows could not find driver software for your device" through as directory.

(C:\arduino-1.5.3\hardware\arduino\x86\tools )

Is possible the problem with Galileo which I get or something wrong?

Thanks your help.

BR

• 5. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                  AlexT_Intel

It doesn't look like a board problem to me, at least not yet. Most probably that's some Windows glitch :-)

Interesting to note that I have the same Win7 x64 and I didn't have to copy the usbser.sys anywhere and I didn't have any problems installing the driver.

Anyway, what I probably would recommend you is to try the whole thing over again.

1) In the Device Manager, right-click the device for the serial port and select "Uninstall device";

2) Power off the board, disconnect the USB cable

3) Proceed with the steps from the Quick Start guide, starting at step 1 ("If not done already, connect the 5V...");

Let's see if something changes. It would really help if you could capture a screen video when doing that, maybe there's some small thing that breaks it for you, which could be visible there. There are quite a few free and simple tools which can help you with that.

And one more thing - the screenshots you provide are really helpful, but they are also huge and take some time to load. If you're using Windows' standard Snipping Tool, I'd recommend you to save the screenshots in either PNG or JPG formats - that will make then a lot smaller and convenient.

• 6. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                    NexEvan

Hi Alex,

Please take a look the video that I uploaded to youtube website

There are 2 section as below.

[Video-1] http://youtu.be/bE1HDfvAveg

[Video-2] http://youtu.be/y77IjJD14ts

I still can not install driver done....

• 7. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                      Intel_Jesus

Hi NexEvan,

I followed the exact same steps from your videos. I installed the driver on a fresh copy of Windows 7 64bit without any problems.

Have you tried installing the driver on a differnet computer?

Regards.

Intel_JEspinoza

• 8. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                        AlexT_Intel

Hi Evan,

In addition to what Intel_JEspinosa has suggested, I've got two things to note:

1) There's some other "unknown device" listed in the Device Manager - do you know what's that? If not - try to uninstall it as well, together with the Gadget Serial one before trying to install the driver;

2) If the above doesn't work - you can right-click on the linux-cdc-acm.inf file in the hardware\arduino\x86\tools folder to install it manually - maybe then Windows will associate it with the device upon connection. This is rather weak option, but why not...

What I can see for sure is that your board is ok - because of the fact Windows detects the USB device and that's only possible if the board has booted its Linux properly.

• 9. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                          NexEvan

Hi Intel_JEspinoza

Yes, I already tried several computers, but the problem is the same.

Tks~

• 10. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                            NexEvan

Hi Alex,

For Q1,

Yes, I know the "unknow device" which is the ACPI of my host system. The problem is the same even if uninstall it.

For Q2, 
                            The file,linux-cdc-acm.inf, couldn't install by  right-click way. The message shows "Not support this method"

Tks~

• 11. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                              intel_jorge

Hi NexEvan,

If you feel you have to do a warranty on the board, you can start the process in this link:

Intel Support

Regards,

Jorge

• 12. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                                AlexT_Intel

That's strange. Probably you'd want to follow intel_jorge's advise and try the warranty process, but it still doesn't seem like a board issue to me personally.

BTW, you mentioned you've tried different computers, do you have any chance to try a different board with your computer? Or any chance to try it with Linux (not maybe for further work, but it would help you to understand if the board is ok)?

Looking at the Internet suggestions, I see there are some cases like yours reported, without any clear solution, other that some rants about Windows not always working fine with this (Linux) driver or rather inf file.

I'll see if i can find anything further. Examples of such cases are:

https://www.microchip.com/forums/m506236-print.aspx

https://developer.ridgerun.com/wiki/index.php/How_to_use_USB_CDC_ACM_and_MS_composite_Linux_gadget_driver

Message was edited by: Alex T Added links to similar reports with CDC-ACM devices and troubles installing the driver on Windows

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                • 13. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                                  AlexT_Intel

After researching some more it doesn't look like an inf file's fault - there are indeed some quirks associated to a generic linux-cdc-acm.inf file, but all the necessary workarounds have been implemented in Galileo one, so this shouldn't be a problem (see details e.g. here).

So I'm somewhat out of ideas, sorry :-) Except for trying another board or trying to install driver on Linux.

Another thing (but it's now a totally wild hunt for ghosts :-) is to check if the USB Vendor and Product IDs your Windows sees are indeed the ones expected by the driver.

When you connect the board and you have the Gadget Serial V2.4 device under Other Devices - right-click on it, select Properties->Details (or Advanced - the last tab to the right)-> then pick Device ID from the drop-down list. it should show you pretty much the same as on the screenshot below

correct_ids.JPG

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                  • 14. Re: Galileo install usb driver on host system(win7/x64)
                                    ilieviorelsorin

This is not an issue of the intel galileo  hardware. So this is NOT the correct answer.

I base this affirmation on the fact that:

I have the same problem on 8 windows 7 machines.

I tried installing the driver manually, uninstalling and reinstalling, changing usb ports, restarting board etc. NOTHING worked. The serial ports item from the tools menu is gray.

BUT using the same intelGalileo board

I have successfully installed the ide and tested the blink code on 2 macbooks with OSX, one XP machine and on a windows 8.1 machine.

For my distributed applications laboratory at the university of Craiova, Romania I need my Intel galileo boards to work with windows 7. Win7 being the OS installed on the 6 labs of 15 computers each.

PROBLEM SOLVED:

i simply searched for the linux-cdc-acm.inf file in the arduino-1.5.3 folder . It was in C:\arduino-1.5.3\hardware\arduino\x86\tools

I used the windows device manager to get to the Serial Gadget . Double click it . Update driver. browse my computer. Browsed to the path up there. Install. Accept. and it worked.

I now have a working blinker.Finally .

Message was edited by: Sorin Ilie

1 2 Previous Next