1 2 Previous Next 27 Replies Latest reply on Sep 12, 2015 1:35 AM by mondo77

Temperamental video out on D54250WYK

mondo77

I have just received a D54250WYK and am having a lot of frustrations because I am getting no monitor signal at all about 90% of the time.

I assembled it with 8G of 1.35v Gskill RAM, a 256GB Adata SSD and Windows 8.1

The video path is:

NUC > mini Displayport male to DVID female converter (Dynamix brand)> DVI cable > monitor (Samsung 2232BW)

When I first powered it up to have a look at the boot menu prior to installing Windows the power light would turn blue, the fan would spool up but the monitor stayed in standby mode (due to no signal) even after about 5 minutes. I powered it down, checked the cables and tried again to the same result. I unplugged and re-plugged every cable and tried again and it worked about the fourth or fifth time.

Since then about 90% of the time when I start or re-start the system I get the fan and blue light but no video signal. But about 10% of the time there are no issues at all and on these rare occasions I have been able to install Windows 8.1, update drivers etc but this has had no effect on the video issue. 

I am on BIOS version 18 now and have tried to update it via the windows Express BIOS update but this failed. Also I selected fast boot in the BIOS and now I cant get into the BIOS at all because holding the power button down for 2 seconds when the unit is off does not give the three beeps, and even switching the BIOS configuration jumper had no effect.

Overall it loads to Windows perfectly 1 time in 10 but I cannot find any pattern to the times it works and the times it doesn't. I have spent a bit of time trying to see if there is any combination of power off/on, plug/unplug in case there is some auto-detect issue for the Displayport (like the HDMI audio to amplifier issue) but there is no reliable sequence which works.

1/ The problem is not Windows / drivers because the issue was present even before was installed.

2/ The problem is not the monitor because the monitor can identify when the cable is unplugged

3/ I have tried to find a mini HDMI to DVI adapter but these seem scarce and have not been able to source one.

I am starting to think it is a hardware / BIOS / Displayport out issue and I just got a dud unit unless there are other ideas.

Thanks in advance!

• 1. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
          joe_intel

Mondo, I am sorry for this inconvenience.

Please bear in mind that the cause of the issue could be related to the video converter since we do not get to test all variety of brands and models available. I would suggest testing a direct connection if possible.

• 2. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
            mondo77

Thanks fore replying Joe.

I initially suspected the adapter cable as well and started out with a lot of jiggling and flexing to see if I could get it to work when it was failing or fail when it was working, but nothing I physically did to the cable induced any change so I don't think it is a frayed cable or loose connector.

The timing of the video cutting in or out usually (but not always) corresponded to the boot. There were several occasions when the system was working and I was in Windows and when re-started the video would work perfectly through the Windows shutdown but not come back upon booting. Out of the 7 or 8 working / not working / working cycles all but two of the failures have been when booting. Once there was a random loss of video and once there was a random resumption of video after I had left the system running for a couple of minutes.  

So yesterday morning I tried to start it normally but had the usual blue light and fan start but no display. So I shut it down, unplugged the power cable, flipped the NUC upside down, shifted the BIOS security jumper from the 1-2 (normal) position to the 2-3 (lockdown) position, then plugged the power cord back in and hit the power button and it started perfectly. After a couple of successful re-starts and returning the BIOS jumper to the 1-2 position I put the cover back on and put it the right way up and it worked all day without a hitch during benchmarking and burn-in testing with the Intel Extreme Tuning utility.

Today started fine, but after about an hour of shifting files and general setup activity the video cut out randomly in the middle of doing nothing much. Again I unplugged, flipped opened and shifted the BIOS jumper to 2-3 and this worked again.

I have no idea why this fix has worked the last two times as none of these things should have any impact at all.

I have given it a good shake and cannot hear the rattle of anything loose like a screw or solder ball.

So while I have a rather unsatisfactory solution to the problem, I have still not been able to deliberately induce a failure. It is an intermittent problem which occurs every 1.5 days at the most and seems random although most of the failures occur when the system is working and is re-booted, but the most recent failure was not during restart. As I said earlier this problem pre-dates the installation of Windows so I really don't think it is an OS/driver issue.

This is really frustrating and I do honestly believe there is some sort of hardware/assembly fault with my unit but I am worried if I send it back under warranty without knowing how to induce a failure the unit may just have a good day and not fail when inspected by a technician and simply be returned as no fault found and I will be billed for their time.

• 3. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
              mondo77

So after a process of eliminaton if I lose video I can tip my NUC upside down and the video comes back ok....

I have tried to get the board out of the case to see if there is something loose on the top (CPU) side of the board but after taking out all the screws it seems pretty well wedged in there and I am afraid of damaging something if I force it so am just leaving it upside down for now.

• 4. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                joe_intel

Is it possible to connect the NUC directly to a DisplayPort or HDMI capable display with no converters involved?

• 5. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                  mondo77

My monitor only has DVI and VGA inputs. So for a direct connection I would need a mini display port to DVI male cable which I was not able to source when buying the parts ofor the NUC. I do have an HDMI TV but I would still need to source a mini HDMI to HDMI cable.

But so far the method of tipping the unit upside down has worked successfully a total of 5/5 times. Today I left the NUC running burn in tests all day and the results are below:

10am = started testing and left the NUC

11am = shaking the mouse successfully woke it from sleep and the tests had continued successfully and temps were all stable and left the NUC.

12 midday = shaking the mouse successfully woke it from sleep and the tests had continued successfully and temps were all stable and left the NUC.

1pm = shaking the mouse did not wake it from sleep, I twisted and jiggled the monitor cable and the converter cable for 30 seconds with no result. I gave the unit a gentle shake with no result. I tipped the NUC upside down and video resumed immediately. The burn in test graphs indicated that the NUC had been operating normally during this time and there had been no disruption to the tests and the temps were all stable. I returned the NUC to a normal uprght position.

2pm = shaking the mouse successfully woke it from sleep and the tests had continued successfully and temps were all stable and left the NUC.

3pm = shaking the mouse successfully woke it from sleep and the tests had continued successfully and temps were all stable and left the NUC.

7pm = shaking the mouse did not wake it from sleep, I twisted and jiggled the monitor cable and the converter cable for 30 seconds with no result. I gave the unit a gentle shake with no result. I tipped the NUC upside down and video resumed immediately. The burn in test graphs indicated that the NUC had been operating normally during this time and there had been no disruption to the tests and the temps were all stable. I have now put a couple of little rubber rings on my desk and the NUC now lives on these in the upside down position

Note the NUC is just sitting on a bare wooden desk in my home with nothing else interfering with it. I still cannot deliberately induce a failure, but it seems to happen randomly anywhere between 20 minutes and 10 hours. Tipping the unit upside down immediately resolves the issue and I have not yet had any failures while it is in the upside down position.

Question 1: Does this qualify as a warranty repair / replacement issue? I don't know if I should just live with this rather ridiculous solution or go through the time and hassle to go through the warranty process.

Just to complicate things further I looked up the Warranty Center but when I entered the Serial Number and the Stocking ID/Part number it said the product number I entered cannot be located in your records?

Question 2: Last time I tried to take the board out of the case to examine the CPU side I removed all the screws but seemed pretty well wedged and I was afraid to break something removing it. Is there a particular technique to getting the board out of the case?

Thanks.

• 6. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                    provo44

>>Is there a particular technique to getting the board out of the case?<<

Try expanding the outer case by creating a temperature differential between case and mother board. Like put the NUC in a 60 degree room for short period and then wrap your hands around it. There are more ways to create this differential like, placing it in a fridge, but this could damage the NUC. I don't know how much cold a NUC can handle but all our rooms go down to 60 degrees at night with no damage to any computers.

• 7. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                      joe_intel

This is probably a thermal/cooling issue. Please contact your local Intel® support team to request a thermal pad for the SSD. Contact Support

You may also want to monitor the temperatures in BIOS and increase the cooling response if needed.

• 8. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                        mondo77

I am sure it is not a thermal issue because:

1/ This is a brand new unit which already has the thermal pad between the SSD and the metal case. There is a good imprint of the SSD on the thermal pad indicating there is good contact.

2/ The CPU temperature as monitored by the Intel extreme tuning utility shows the CPU is idling at 36 degrees celsuis (97 farenheit) and this issue is till present when the NUC is not under load.

3/ This issue has occurred even from a cold startup in the morning.

4/ I don't have a wireless card installed so the SSD has no other hot components near it.

I just managed to get the board out of the case and could not find anything loose or obviously suspicious so I have put it all back together and it is behaving the same as always.

I will try to take some video of the issue and upload to Youtube so you can see what I am describing.

• 9. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                          jan_andersen

I would buy a mini HDMI to HDMI cable (doesn't cost much) and test the NUC with your TV.

Jan

• 10. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                            mondo77

So I have made the video below to demonstrate the issue to you. It shows 9 restarts, 6 of these were good, three lost the video out. Two of the three fails were resolved by tipping the NUC upside down and shaking it, one fail did not resume after upside down shaking and needed to be powered off and on via the power button then shaken upside down again ac second time which then worked.

• 11. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                              mondo77

If you don't want to watch the whole thing the timeline of events is:

startnuc working normally
                              0:15restart
                              0:26video output lost
                              1:05shake upside down, video output resumes, windows is loaded and running
                              1:27restart again
                              1:40video output lost
                              2:27shake upside down, video does not resume
                              3:53blue light shows NUC is on but no video out, use power button on the NUC to turn it off
                              4:00Blue light is out, NUC is off
                              4:05switch NUC back on via power button
                              4:20blue light shows NUC is on but no video out
                              4:33shake upside down, video resumes, windows is loaded and running
                              4:55restart again
                              5:05NUC BIOS logo appears showing a good re-start with video working
                              5:26Windows is ready to use
                              5:41restart again
                              5:56NUC BIOS logo appears showing a good re-start with video working
                              6:15Windows is ready to use
                              6:28restart again
                              6:43video output lost
                              7:15shake upside down, video output resumes, windows is loaded and running
                              7:35restart again
                              7:47NUC BIOS logo appears showing a good re-start with video working
                              8:08Windows is ready to use
                              8:17restart again
                              8:33NUC BIOS logo appears showing a good re-start with video working
                              8:54Windows is ready to use
                              9:05shut down
                              9:19power up using the power button
                              9:27NUC BIOS logo appears showing a good re-start with video working
                              9:48Windows is ready to use
                              9:55restart
                              10:10NUC BIOS logo appears showing a good re-start with video working
                              • 12. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                                mondo77

I can appreciate from a diagnostic / troubleshooting point of view it would be interesting to try a bunch of different adaptors and try the HDMI port to see what happens. But I really don't want to spend more of my own money in the vague hope that something will work - when the fundamental question of why does my unit work some times and not other times is still not resolved.

The reasons I don't think the fundamental problem is with the adaptor is:

1/ Most of the failures correspond to a restart

2/ Some of the failures are when the system is already operating well

3/ Jiggling / twisting / manipulating the adaptor does not resolve the issue

4/ Tipping the NUC upside down is the only solution which works but it is still only 80% of the time and sometimes a restart using the power button is also required.

If there was a problem with the adaptor the symptoms I would expect to see would be:

1/ System never working

2/ Failures at random times not corresponding to restarts

3/ Loose connection solved by manipulating the cable

4/ Failures after a certain period of use/heat buildup

But I am not seeing any of these symptoms associated with the adaptor.

I think I just have a faulty NUC.

• 13. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                                  mondo77

Also the windows DX diagnostic tool has correctly identified the native resolution and model of my monitor which makes me think the connection between the NUC and the monitor is good.

dxdiagnostic tool.jpg

• 14. Re: Temperamental video out on D54250WYK
                                    joe_intel

Most of the things you have written make sense. Plus I do not have any other suggestion.

You may contact the place of purchase or your local Intel® support team in order to ask for a replacement.

http://www.intel.com/p/en_US/support/contactsupport

1 2 Previous Next