1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Oct 29, 2016 7:43 AM by decimal

Intel folders in the PATH variable

LesF

Are all these intel folders required in the PATH variable after driver installation has been completed?

A recent software installation failed because it found the PATH variable was too big, so I want to remove anything that is not required.

If these are all required, is it ok to create a short symbolic link to these longer pathnames, and just use that short name in PATH?

Alternatively, could I relocate the contents of "Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL" and "Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT" to a single folder with a short name?  Will the intel software still work?

(using Intel Core i7-4770 with Win7 64 bit)

PATH contains:

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\;

C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\3.0\bin\x86;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\OpenCL SDK\3.0\bin\x64;

C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;

C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL;

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT;

• 1. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
          sylvia_intel

LesF, all these are reference for the proper path for the application to run correctly.

I’m afraid these types of customizations are not supported by Intel. If any change is applied is under your own risk.

• 2. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
            sturner458

You know that the PATH variable is limited to 2048 characters. If it exceeds that, it won't work at all (and in fact breaks a lot of other variables such as WINDIR).

So by your own bloated use of the PATH variable you are risking breaking not only your own product but just about every other one as well. This happened to me - I lost a lot of my shortcut links. It took me several hours to discover that my PATH variable had been corrupted by your excessive use of it.

• 3. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
              ChongC

Same problem here.  Legacy apps like IBM Visual Age Generator cannot handle these long paths.  I need to find out what can be removed without affecting stability.

• 4. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                Night1505

So, several months go by, and other users bring it to your attention, and your answer is "just deal with it"? That's pretty bad customer service.

• 5. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                  mark_h_@intel

I'm not an expert in this area, but I sent some inquiries and got this feedback on the questions on the PATH variable. Here is my summary of the answer I received from the developer:

1. It may be possible for OpenCL to be removed if you're not using any OpenCL applications. 
                  2. You shouldn't remove/move/collapse the PATH variables.

Since I'm not an expert, here is exactly what was written by one of Intel's developers:

No, it is not safe for the customer to remove/move/collapse the entries in the PATH environmental variable.  Applications Intel and non-Intel alike add their relative locations to the PATH variable and rely on that information, if this is changed or removed improperly it will break existing path references and cause failures on systems. 

Applications regularly add their information to the PATH variable and as such it commonly grows to a very large size, however applications should do their own clean up on removal, OpenCL is a shared product so it may leave some entries behind. 

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  • 6. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                    firehaw

hello

you are welcome

this is long path problem and it can not be solved easily

first of all you have to short the path and to short the path you need some

technical knowledge if you don't have, use long path tool, it is easy and work well.

• 7. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                      kian

This post is a bit old but I thought I'd submit a workaround. It is possible to do what Java does and have a single PATH entry that points to a folder containing symlinks to the contents of all the folders linked by path. E.g. PATH={blah};C:\ProgramData\Intel\Path;{blah}. A bit hacky and Intel should implement this themselves but it works.

Here's the links I made - I didn't have an OpenCL folder so I'm afraid you'll have to do them yourself. Also this is for a 64-bit system - you'll have to do it yourself for 32 bit as the directories are different.

mklink "bhPlugin.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL\bhPlugin.dll"
                      mklink "cacert.pem" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\cacert.pem"
                      mklink "epid_paramcert.dat" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\epid_paramcert.dat"
                      mklink "EPIDGroupCertLegacy.cer" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\EPIDGroupCertLegacy.cer"
                      mklink "EPIDGroupCertX509.cer" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\EPIDGroupCertX509.cer"
                      mklink "iclsClient.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\iclsClient.dll"
                      mklink "iclsClientInternal.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\iclsClientInternal.dll"
                      mklink "iclsProxy.conf" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\iclsProxy.conf"
                      mklink "iclsProxy.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\iclsProxy.dll"
                      mklink "iclsProxyInternal.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\iclsProxyInternal.dll"
                      mklink "iha.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\iha.dll"
                      mklink "iha64.dll" "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\iha64.dll"
                      mklink "IntelWebAPIIPTActiveX.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\IntelWebAPIIPTActiveX.dll"
                      mklink "IntelWebAPIUpdaterActiveX.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\IntelWebAPIUpdaterActiveX.dll"
                      mklink "iptWys.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\iptWys.dll"
                      mklink "iptWys64.dll" "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\iptWys64.dll"
                      mklink "jhi_service.exe" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL\jhi_service.exe"
                      mklink "JHI.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL\JHI.dll"
                      mklink "JHI64.dll" "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL\JHI64.dll"
                      mklink "JhiSharp.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL\JhiSharp.dll"
                      mklink "libeay32.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\libeay32.dll"
                      mklink "npIntelWebAPIIPT.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\npIntelWebAPIIPT.dll"
                      mklink "npIntelWebAPIUpdater.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\npIntelWebAPIUpdater.dll"
                      mklink "oath.dalp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\oath.dalp"
                      mklink "SocketHeciServer.conf" "C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\SocketHeciServer.conf"
                      mklink "SocketHeciServer.exe" "C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\SocketHeciServer.exe"
                      mklink "SpoolerApplet.dalp" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL\SpoolerApplet.dalp"
                      mklink "ssleay32.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\ssleay32.dll"
                      mklink "teePlugin.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL\teePlugin.dll"
                      mklink "UpdateServiceCProxy.dll" "C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\UpdateServiceCProxy.dll"
                      mklink "UpdateServiceCProxy64.dll" "C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT\UpdateServiceCProxy64.dll"

There were some conflicts between 32 and 64 bit programs so I picked the 32 bit as it was earlier in the path.

EDIT:

If these are all required, is it ok to create a short symbolic link to these longer pathnames, and just use that short name in PATH?

This would definitely work but by symlinking everything fromone folder you can refactor all of the pathnames into a single one.

• 8. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                        billw2011

Yep having the same problem. If you can't fix this in your current software I hope you learned a lesson: stop with the stupid long path names (do you seriously need (R) in the path name? Is there some worry that we might not know Intel is a registered brand name when browsing our Program Files?). Oh well never mind I just found out its not critical so bye bye whatever it is.

• 9. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                          Paul DeRocco

There's no reason for an "Intel(R) Management Engine Components" folder name. It's contained in an "Intel" folder, and the PTO isn't going to yank your trademark if it only finds a folder name that says "Intel", without an "(R)" after it. The folders below it just have three-letter abbreviations, so just call that folder "MEC" and the problems will disappear, and the complaints will stop.

• 10. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                            Headsin

Same problem here: Intel is polluting the PATH variable, like throwing junks in the street. I would say there is no real software engineer in Intel.

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\iCLS Client\

C:\Program Files\Intel\iCLS Client\

C:\Program Files\Intel\WiFi\bin\

C:\Program Files\Common Files\Intel\WirelessCommon\

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL

C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\DAL

C:\Program Files (x86)\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT

C:\Program Files\Intel\Intel(R) Management Engine Components\IPT

• 11. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                              AannoyedAardvark

Just been trying to set up what was previously mostly a gaming PC with a decent development environment, and wanted to try and tidy things up as much as possible.

I actually went through the pain of registering on this community just to express my annoyance with this issue. 15 mins of my life I won't get back - but a quick rant will possibly make me feel a little better.

That's 342 characters of the PATH variable taken up by Intel. I can remember when the whole thing wasn't even allowed to be that long. I've never seen such a poorly thought out deployment policy. Even Microsoft aren't that bad at polluting environment variables - and they have far more things to link to than you do.

There are 27 files in total in the intel (x86) path entries and 19 in the (x64) directories. Why they can't all be put into one "Program Files\Intel\bin" directory per architecture and built to re-link to the other files correctly the totally escapes me. That's 281 characters less already. You're welcome.

Maybe there is a technical reason not to do this but a) I highly doubt it and b) I'm sure there's a clever way to work around it. There usually is. It just screams of not-joined-up-thinking.

There; I've wasted enough time on this complete mess. Guess I'll have to live with that. And the mess. On this basis alone my rating for AMD has just gone up a few notches.

• 12. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                                EstebanC_Intel

Hello All:

We are currently working on the investigation for this case.

As soon as we get an outcome regarding this, we will let you know.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 13. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                                  rguevara

Hello All,

I would recommend that for Intel Management Engine and CLS client you go to https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/intel-business-client-software-development

And for Open CL SDK go here: https://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/opencl

This forum is for General Discussion and I am guessing this post is not getting enough attention on this location, unfortunately I cannot move over and you would need to initiate a new discussion.

I hope this helps,

• 14. Re: Intel folders in the PATH variable
                                    decimal

Hi, Aardvark, I'm with you.

This problem of Intel eating up a huge chunk of the PATH environment variable is absurd, pathetic and inexcusable, IMO.
                                    A year later and it seems the problem still exists, or did I miss something?

1 2 Previous Next