10 Replies Latest reply on Dec 18, 2014 2:45 AM by ProblemChild

Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue

Reed_Nelson

Recently I purchased the retail DH87RL.

Issue is that during BIOS the internal graphics is sending a signal on DVI and HDMI that is incompatible with my monitor.  Monitor (LCD, Dell, probably 5 years old), gives a message indicating there is a signal, but that either the resolution or timing is incompatible.  So the monitor is blank until Windows finishes loading and shows the loaded Windows screen.

I tried getting it to work by plugging it into my receiver (for my HDTV) and had the same issue (again receiver/HDTV are about 5 years old).

I took it into my group's lab in Jones Farm 2 and found that it displayed correct on the two monitors I tried in the lab. 

I've tried looking at the product documentation and Googleing to try to find what resolution it is trying to use that isn't supported by the monitor, but I've been unsuccessful.  The monitor supports a fairly high resolution (2048x1152 @60 Hz) so I'm baffled at why there is a disconnect in what the BIOS is sending and what the monitor can support.

I'm fairly disappointed that such an essential element of the board has such an issue.  I appreciate the advancements being made in the visual BIOS, but it shouldn't come at the cost of basic functionality.

Background Details:

- I tried both DVI and HDMI ports on the Dell SP2309W monitor, without success.

- Tried receiver Onkyo TX-SR606 / TV Samsung LN46A-550, without success.

- A third party graphics card will work when plugged into the PEG slot

- Two monitors Dell & Asus worked in the JF lab

- Using the latest posted BIOS (as of 10/20/2013).  Which is RLH8710H.86A (10/3/2013)

• 1. Re: Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue
          sylvia_intel

It is very important to make sure you are running the latest Graphic drivers available according to the operating system you are using.

You may want to try your system on save mode just for testing and also try to access the BIOS on maintenance mode (BIOS jumper on position 2 and 3)

The following link will provide you the list of tested peripherals with that specific motherboard http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/db-dh87rl/sb/CS-034268.htm

• 2. Re: Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue
            Reed_Nelson

Perhaps I wasn't clear enough in my original post, but the problem is during BIOS.  Because BIOS operates *before* an OS is called, having the latest drivers for Windows would change exactly nothing with the issue I'm having.  As a side note I already have the latest graphics drivers, but that's irrelevant because it works just fine when Windows has loaded.

So to summarize, during BIOS the screen is blank because the internal graphics is displaying either a resolution or refresh rate that is incompatible with my monitor.  Once Windows finishes loading it display just fine.  Obviously the monitor *can* work with the internal graphics, because it works when Windows is loaded.  My issue is that during BIOS boot up it is doing something strange that causes it to not be able to display.

I have also tried booting in BIOS recovery mode.

Apologies if I wasn't clear in the original post.  However, I found your response to be rather presumptive and perfunctory.  It appears as though you simply gave it a brief scan and saw Graphics issue and Monitor and immediately jumped to a response that didn't fit with the context of what I had wrote.

-Reed

• 3. Re: Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue
              spearson

Reed,

All of the 8 Series boards support Microsoft's Seamless On-Off Experience initiative. A tenet of this initiative is that the primary monitor must be operated at its native resolution. The BIOS queries the monitor for its native resolution by reading its Extended Display Identification Data (EDID). It then initializes for this resolution and goes from there. Bottom line, the BIOS is outputting exactly what the monitor is telling it to output. If this is incompatible with the monitor, then the monitor is providing incorrect data in its EDID. I suggest that you get a tool that can dump the EDID data and see what it is saying about the monitor...

...Scott

• 4. Re: Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue
                Reed_Nelson

I had gotten the following from Intel support:

Regarding the Dell SP2309W monitor issue, we are checking the BIOS POST behavior on vBIOS mode. The GOP mode will use monitor native resolution per Microsoft Win 8 WHCK. The default is legacy mode/vBIOS mode, which control monitor through video BIOS. To change to GOP mode, you could disable “Legacy boot” in boot tab. But you had better change it when you have  workable monitor with IGD. Most external graphic card not include GOP.

So from my understanding of the above, you can either use the new GOP mode which will use the monitor's native resolution or you can use "legacy mode/VBIOS mode".

I went into BIOS and disabled "Legacy Boot" as noted from support.  This had two very interesting effects:

1) My monitor now worked during BIOS/Boot.

2) It could no longer find my SATA SSD to boot.  It kept looking for a network to boot from.  In BIOS Legacy boot displays my SATA SSD, but when I disable it, the UEFI can't detect my SATA to boot.

If the solution is to use GOP (disable legacy) which allows the monitor to work during boot, then I need to know how to get my SATA SSD detected so it can boot to it.

• 5. Re: Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue
                  Reed_Nelson

Updated info on the SATA SSD drive disappearing:

You need to install your O/S in the mode that you intend to operate it in. If you installed the O/S while in Legacy Mode, then you will not be able to use this installation once you switch to UEFI mode. Vice-versa also applies. Bottom line, your HDD disappeared from the boot list because that is supposed to disappear...

• 6. Re: Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue
                    Reed_Nelson

Updated info on Legacy vs UEFI:

Regardless of whether you are running with Legacy enabled or disabled, the handling of the screen remains the same; we always run the monitor at its native resolution (as defined in the EDID). Only when the BIOS completes POST and Visual BIOS starts executing will the resolution be changed to something else (1024x768). If this is when things are going wrong you still would have seen the splash screen ahead of this. Bottom line, we are back where we were before. I suggest that you check out what is included in your monitor’s EDID information.

• 7. Re: Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue
                      Reed_Nelson

After the details above I looked again at the UEFI mode to see if I could reload Windows 8 to circumvent the problem by using UEFI mode permanently.  Apparently UEFI is very picky as my Windows 8 DVD froze halfway through its load at the same place each of the two times I tried to boot from DVD.  The Windows 7 DVD failed to even register as boot discs.  Both worked fine in legacy mode.  So I don't feel that using UEFI permanently would be a good idea.

Also, based on the feedback about how the screen should run in native resolution either way, I retested the video in both modes.  Method:

1) Latest BIOS loaded (Dec 4th, 2013).  Reset to Default setting via F9.

2) With no PEG card try using DVI and HDMI cable to monitor.

3) Both times the monitor registered there was a signal, but noted that it wasn't compatible and eventually the monitor went to sleep because it couldn't display anything.

4) Plug in a PEG graphics card so that I can see BIOS to make changes.

5) Unselect "Legacy" for boot.

6) Change the HDMI or DVI cable over to the integrated graphics (If the PEG card is still inserted upon reboot, it is ignored (I think it is incompatible).

7)  Confirmed that it correctly displays using the integrated graphics during the Boot screens.

8) I tested this several times with the same exact results every time.

I've been asked a few times about the EDID for the monitor.  Here it is:

EDID.jpg

• 8. Re: Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue
                        Reed_Nelson

Further searching with Google revealed that the early bootable DVDs generated by the Windows 8 update tool were not UEFI compatible.  The later generation of generated bootable discs *are* bootable with UEFI.

• 9. Re: Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue
                          Reed_Nelson

This is now resolved for me.  The latest BIOS resolves the display issue.  I had also switched to using the UEFI boot in the mean time so I was covered either way.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: Intel DH87RL Boot Video Resolution Issue
                            ProblemChild

I have the same SP2309W monitor & a Gigabyte H81 chipset based board, I had the exactly the same issue. I pointed Gigabyte support to this thread & they have provided me with an updated BIOS that solved the issue. Thanks for paving the way Reed_Nelson & for anyone else expereincing this problem with other vendors boards I suggest you point them here too.

1 of 1 people found this helpful