2 Replies Latest reply on Dec 2, 2013 1:24 PM by Daneel3001

NUC D54250WYK - event logs reporting frequency limited by firmware

Daneel3001

Hi

Been running my new NUC D54250WYK to act as both Plex Media Server and XBMC client and I am really enjoying it, still busy customizing the lot.

I've installed 16GB DDR3 + 256GB Sandisk MSATA on mine running Windows 8.1 x64, using latest drivers throughout (including more recent Intel HD drivers from November 2013 pack) and as I was investigating issues re sleep I noticed some odd entries in Event Log stating that the CPU couldn't go to 100% speed due to firmware.

I am running Balanced mode power scheme and using some of the CPU ID tools to monitor CPU frequency I only ever see it hitting 2.2GHZ, never the 2.6GHZ.

I will come back and bring the exact event log message.

The NUC runs inside an AV cabinet and is completely unobstructed.

• 1. Re: NUC D54250WYK - event logs reporting frequency limited by firmware
          sylvia_intel

Hello Daneel3001, first of all it is very important to understand that in order to reach 2.6 GHz you need to have Intel® Turbo boost technology enabled on BIOS. Usually this feature comes enabled by default.

In addition to that, Intel® Turbo boost is engaged automatically depending on processor’s load, voltage, power and temperature. Therefore the processor may reach 2.6 GHz, only when it is needed.

Something very important is that only 1 core will be capable to reach that speed.

I would recommend you to test the NUC using only 1 memory stick and check the performance of the device. Also, remember that memory needs to be 1.35V.

There is a utility named Processor Diagnostics Tool that you may want to try to install. This tool will verify the functionality of your processor. https://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&keyword=Processor%20Diagnostics%20Tool

There is third party software that you may also want to try named CPU-Z.

Please reply with the event logs you are getting.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: NUC D54250WYK - event logs reporting frequency limited by firmware
            Daneel3001

Hi

The kind of event I get is as follow:

The speed of processor 0 in group 0 is being limited by system firmware. The processor has been in this reduced performance state for 86399 seconds since the last report.

I will get 4 of these in quick succession for each of the 4 cores.

I haven't checked but I'm pretty sure Intel Turbo Boost is enabled in the BIOS.