1 2 3 Previous Next 75 Replies Latest reply on Nov 8, 2014 4:39 PM by philwo

D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive

dm

I have a new D34010WYK and I want to install Fedora from USB, but the nuc hangs when I'm trying to install from my Sandisk USB3.0 stick. A USB 2.0 stick was recognized properly. Same issue if I connect a USB 3.0 HDD. The NUC starts, scans for a drive and after a half minute it resets and the procedure starts again. After removing the USB 3.0 drive it start immediately whithout any issues. I've upgrade the firmware to the last available WY0021. Please fix this issue because I want to use the NUC as a powersave home server.

Thanks

Jan

• 1. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
          sylvia_intel

Jan, for this kind of behavior what we recommend customer to do is to check if you are running the latest BIOS available for the product.

Since we only support Windows flavors, here is the USB 3.0 driver that may need to be installed on the NUC https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23214&lang=eng&OSVersion=%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%09%0A%09%09%09%09%09%09%09&DownloadType=

You can also change the BOOT order on BIOS, leaving "boot from USB" as the second option or last option on the list.

• 2. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
            dm

Sylvia, as I wrote above I have already upgraded to the latest BIOS. And this have to be a BIOS issue. If you are only support Windows flavours, who is responsible for such BIOS issues? I think, the new NUC is really a big thing. I measured 4.4 Watts with mSATA drive and 4GB RAM at KDE-Desktop in idle-mode. Great. But the mSATA is not big enough. I need a second drive (2.5'') for my data. I'd like to use the SATA connector, but the case is not big enough. Are there some plans for a bigger one? So I have to use the external USB 3.0 for now. Therefore they have to work properly.

• 3. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
              Jamie

I have had exactly the same issue.

If I try and boot the NUC with a Sandisk Extreme 64Gb USB 3.0 stick installed, the machine displays the "Intel NUC" logo for ages, and eventually when you get control of the NUC, it won't allow booting off that stick.

If I start the NUC with no USB 3.0 stick installed, it brings up the boot prompt almost instantly when powering on.

As soon as you remove the USB 3.0 stick that you've inserted at boot time, the NUC comes to life.

So it seems to be hanging on USB 3.0 sticks.

As the original poster pointed out, no such problem occurs if you insert a USB 2.0 memory stick.

The NUC can recognise USB 3.0 drives/sticks only after start-up.  So if you have one installed at boot time, which you'd do when booting off the USB stick, then it will fail.

I have tried all the BIOS versions from September to November, and all have exactly the same problem.

• 4. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                crhendo

Add me to the list of people with this problem. External USB3.0 3.5" 3TB disk (under its own power) freezes during boot until the device is removed. If I reconnect after successful boot all is OK.

• 5. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                  Jamie

This issue caused lots of problems for me, as I only had a USB 3.0 stick handy, and I simply could not install the operating system on the NUC using that stick.

I had no choice but to buy a USB 2.0 stick and use that to boot off to install the operating system on the NUC.

Now the operating system is installed, attaching a USB 3.0 drive/stick works okay and it functions perfectly. However, I must make sure I remove all USB 3.0 devices when rebooting or powering on the NUC otherwise it will hang.  Then I can re-attach them after the NUC has booted up.  A big hassle of course.  I hope Intel fixes this.

• 6. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                    Wolfi

I can confirm that my DC53427 won't boot with my USB3-hub (and three external USB3-HDDs) connected. Freezes/hangs in or before the Firmware/BIOS gets to boot.

Somehow I got it to boot without freezing/hanging on boot:

• Make sure my connected USB3-Hub doesn't get external power from a seperate powersupply
                    • Use a "thicker" USB3-Cable to connect my USB3-Hub to my NUC (for making sure that the voltage drop between the NUC and my USB3-Hub is as low as possible)
                    • Disable all boot options except booting from the internal MSATA SSD

I also upgraded to the latest NUC Firmware/BIOS.

• 7. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                      JasonHoffman

Hi dm,

I contacted the NUC team about the issue and they recommended updating the BIOS to 0022.  They also mentioned the type of USB 3 stick can make a difference.  I can confirm this as I'm able to boot from some USB 3 sticks but not from others.

I hope this helps.

Jason

• 8. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                        richi

I am having a similar problem. HP Blueray Drive that is not detected at boot up. Also going to boot menu does not help.

Updated BIOS to 0022 but no difference.

I disabled the UEFI and put legacy. Activated but USB devices first. I looks as if only sticks are detected. Any USB storage device is not. Same applies for an USB 2.0 samsung flash drive.

The catch here is that I try to install Linux on the machine so any Driver update will not help me either.

• 9. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                          richi

OK. I solved this. Due to problems with Linux USB 3.0 I deactivated the legacy USB support. After that the USB stick and the USB cdrom were no longer visible at boot time.

Activating this option solved my problem.

• 10. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                            crhendo

I have spent some time on this now and have tried three different external (separately powered) USB3.0 enclosures all with 3.5" drives. I have installed the latest BIOS and reset all the defaults. In every case the NUC will not boot with just "Intel NUC" appearing on the screen and then it freezes. I accidentally discovered that if I remove the power from the external enclosure while the boot process is "frozen", the boot immediately continues and windows loads normally.

I have repeated this process on all three drives. I even left the NUC in its frozen state overnight to see if it would eventually time out and continue but the next morning there was no change until I removed the power from the external enclosure and the boot continued as normal.

I have also tried disabling the Legacy USB support as mentioned above but it made no difference.

There is definitely something wrong here. 

• 11. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                              BSalita

I'm having identical problems with my D34010WYK.

Issue:

The NUC freezes during boot up on the INTEL NUC screen. The "F2 to enter setup" line is missing. It doesn't even progress far enough to output that line. HEY INTEL ENGINEERS, THAT'S YOUR CLUE TO THE PROBLEM.

How to Reproduce Issue:

For my setup, the issue only occurs when more than one USB 3.0 device is attached. It can be reproduced by attaching more than one of any of four USB 3 devices. I only have four USB 3 devices to test with. I have one USB 3 hub and three different brands of USB 3 four drive bays. Any combination of two devices will reproduce the problem. All devices are powered by their own adapters -- none are bus powered. In all combinations, the NUC will always boot if I remove the USB 3 devices, power-cycle, and replug them in the moment the bootstrap process hands off to Windows (a matter of seconds after power-on). I can attach any or all USB 3 devices just after the hand-off to Windows and all devices will work fine. HEY INTEL ENGINEERS, THAT'S YOUR SECOND CLUE TO THE PROBLEM.

My Analysis:

I'm thinking that the issue is that there's insufficient current for more than one USB 3 device at BIOS bootstrap. Once BIOS hands off to Windows, available USB 3 current is stepped up. HEY INTEL ENGINEERS, I'VE JUST PINPOINTED THE PROBLEM - MAYBE, MAYBE. There are other possible explanations such as need for a brief delay or confusion when a bunch of USB drives (via 4-bay enclosures) are attached. I've dismissed the possibility that the NUC's adapter has insufficient current by testing with a much higher current laptop adapter -- same result. Please note, once Windows has begun to boot, I can load up the USB ports with all sorts of stuff and never have any blip of a problem. Therefore, I don't believe there's a USB current problem except at BIOS bootstrap.

PLEASE MAKE SURE THE APPROPRIATE ENGINEER SEES THIS POST. THEY WILL KNOW EXACTLY WHAT TO LOOK FOR.

• 12. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                                Hobbit

Hey All

I got the same problem with a D34010WYB

I can boot from my Kingston datatravler 32gb without any problems.

But when my Verbatim 1TB is plugged in it wont boot. It freeze in the start-up screen (Intel NUC) and nothing happens. If I unplug the USB it boot immediately, and then I can plug the device back when windows is running and it works fine.

I have BIOS ver. 0022 going from 0018 without any difference

Something is wrong here....

• 13. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                                  crhendo

Well, usually by now the Intel NUC people have admitted that a problem might exist and that it has been duplicated (which as you can see above isn't hard) and has been passed to engineering for attention. This time however there is an eerie silence that suggests one of two things:-

1. All of Intel has been having a fabulous Christmas and haven't had time to look at it

2. The problem is known and due to chipset limitations is insurmountable

Having been a contributor here since my first NUC "BY" Thunderbolt, I'm leaning towards 1. at the moment but please don't give me too much time to think about it before I lean to 2.

I told you that you shouldn't drop Thunderbolt!

• 14. Re: D34010WYK does neither boot from USB 3.0 nor boots with plugged USB 3.0 drive
                                    faiello

Have also the same problem with my new D34010WYK. Both ports on the rear side do not work at all. The log gives me a message as follows:

$ tail -f /var/log/syslog

Jan  1 23:58:29 hs001 kernel: [156336.131890] hub 3-0:1.0: over-current condition on port 4

Jan  1 23:58:29 hs001 kernel: [156336.339976] hub 2-0:1.0: over-current condition on port 3

Jan  1 23:58:29 hs001 kernel: [156336.548062] hub 2-0:1.0: over-current condition on port 4

Please give me a hint how to fix.

1 2 3 Previous Next