Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7428 Discussions

Intel n2230 slow connection?

HDuan1
Beginner

When I look at the wi-fi status, I see that I have a 4 or 5 bar signal quality, but my connection speed ranges from 6 to 20 mbps.

Is there anything I can do about the slow connection? When I run a speed test I usually have a good ping, but sometimes it spikes up to 200, and the download and upload speed always remain around 1mbps.

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

We have to note that the results from an internet speed test can be deceiving since your internet connection may fluctuate; the best way to test it is within your wireless local area network.

If you still get poor results after a local file transfer you may want to update your wireless driver, update your router's firmware, verify if your router is in the best possible location, move away interfering devices and use the least crowded wireless channel. The article below may be of further help.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/4965agn/sb/CS-028449.htm Wireless Networking; How do I improve my 802.11n wireless performance?

0 Kudos
LKowa
Novice
Please ensure you have your router communicating on a non congested wireless channel. You can go to the Google Play store and search for the Amped Wireless Wifi Analytics tool>download it>it will tell you the least congested channels to use as well as other tools. You may also download the program called InSSIDer if you have a windows based laptop and it will also scan networks and provide the congestion data as well. From there you would go to the following Router Control Panel area (general example-yours may vary):More Settings>2.4Ghz Settings>Basic Settings>Select the channel that is the least congested>ApplyDo the same for the 5Ghz band as well.
0 Kudos
HDuan1
Beginner

I changed the 2.4 ghz band channel to 11 and it seems much more stable, but which channel width should I select: 20 Mhz or Auto (20mhz or 40 mhz)

I didn't do this for the 5 ghz band since I'm pretty sure nothing uses it.

0 Kudos
LKowa
Novice

I would set to 40 if there are not many APs nearby and 20 if there are.

HDuan1
Beginner

Still having problems. Whenever I try to play an online game my ping spikes up to 1000.

My old laptop did not have any problems like this before.

0 Kudos
LKowa
Novice

You've tried both those wireless modes right?

0 Kudos