1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 27, 2009 2:06 AM by Aryan2411

Can't combine OCZ and PNY DDR2 memory modules in DG45ID - No memory error on POST - 3 beeps

caligirl626

Ok guys, someone said adding memory should be as simple as plugging it in.  I guess I'm missing something here because I'm getting an error.

I have an Intel DG45ID motherboard, Bios version: IDG4510H.86A.0077.2008.0725.1734, System Memory Speed in BIOS is set to 800MHz by default. I'm running Windows 7 64-bit.

My system came with 2 memory modules, each PNY  2G DDR-800 SDRAM, total of 4GB.  One is installed in the blue  DIMM 0 Channel A, the other in the blue DIMM 0 Channel B.  It works fine with those.

I purchased a "Dual Channel Kit", 2 OCZ memory modules, each 2GB, DDR2-800 (PC2 6400) 2.1V.   Installed them in the two open DIMM 1 black slots, hoping the 8GB beast would roar, but nope, got the 3 beep code (no memory installed) upon startup.

Removed the original PNY, installed the OCZ's, and the computer works fine with those two 2GB sticks.  Then tried all combinations with the OCZ and PNY's together, 3 beeps everytime.  Even with just one PNY and one OCZ, in all DIMM slot combinations. No go.   They just don't like mixing together, but work fine with there own type (make). 

I need help.  Hate to return the new OCZ's, or did I just get the wrong ones?

Thanks,

~Tina

• 1. Re: Can't combine OCZ and PNY DDR2 memory modules in DG45ID - No memory error on POST - 3 beeps
          Aryan2411

Hi there,

From this link, you will see that the main features of the memory required for the board to work fine are:

http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/dg45id/sb/CS-029147.htm

System Memory Features

• Four 240-pin Double Data Rate 2 (DDR2) SDRAM Dual Inline Memory Module (DIMM) connectors with gold-plated contacts
          • Non-ECC, 1.8 V, DDR2 800/667 MHz memory
          • Serial Presence Detect (SPD) memory only
          • Unbuffered, non-registered single- or double-sided DIMMs (except double-sided DIMMs with x16 organization)
          • Up to 2.0 GB utilizing 256 Mb technology
          • Up to 4.0 GB utilizing 512 Mb or 1 Gb technology
          • Up to 8.0 GB utilizing 1 Gb technology
          • A minimum of 512 MB of total memory is required

Note that: 2.1V memory modules are not supported, even though that it is working fine, it may be a problem in the future and this vois warranty when using non-recommended memory modules.

Also note that Intel does have a tested list for memory module, it is best to go for these modules in the future.

So now in your case, the best thing to do is to get memory of the same features that meet the above requirements.

All the best,

Regards,
          Aryan