1 2 3 Previous Next 148 Replies Latest reply on Oct 16, 2016 3:06 AM by cieelak

Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77

PeRRo_RoJo

I'm getting a shutdown bug on a Z77 Chipset. (Gigabyte g1 sniper 3)

Before my computer is shutting down i hear my harddrives just spinning on again before my PC is going off.

They do not start completely again, they are being interrupted by the shutdown then.

I tested these versions:

With the original version of windows instalacion (12.0.1.1019), this bug not appear.

I updated Orom of the Main Board to 12.7.0.1936 but some error appear of shutdown.

In Bios, Sata it´s configured at RAID mode

Windows 8 or 8.1 - OS makes no difference. Fresh instalation to test diferent version drivers.

x2 SSD M4-CT128M4SSD2 RAID-0

x2 HDDs ST500DM002 RAID-0

x2 HDDs ST3250620AS

Can help me?

A Greeting

PS: 12.8.0.1016 (the release offered officially by the motherboard manufacturer, already double-checked this file (SetupRST.exe) matches the one downloaded from downloadcenter.intel.com)

El mensaje fue editado por: Ra·l E. Added more information. PS

• 1. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
          Fernando

Hello PeRRo_Rojo,

I suspect a problem with one of your connected drives and doubt, that your shutdown issue has anything to do with the IRST drivers v12.x.x.xxxx.

Please check all your drives, that means unplug them all one after the other (except the system drive with the OS).

Good luck!

Fernando

• 2. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
            PeRRo_RoJo

Hi, thanks for your answer.

With all disks disconnected, unless the system (SSD Disk), I can not check the error.

I tried with windows 7 and driver versions 12.x.xxxx and no problem with shutdown.

All tests clean installation of windows 8.1. Only Chipset and IRST driver are installed. After rebooting. After shutdown and error appears. If I do not install IRST, hard drives off correctly.

• 3. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
              Fernando

PeRRo_RoJo schrieb:

With all disks disconnected, unless the system (SSD Disk), I can not check the error..

I did not recommend to unplug all drives at once, but one after the other.

Additional question:

When you installed the different Intel RST versions, did you install the complete package (drivers+software) by running the .EXE file or did you just install the driver manually from within the Device Manager?

• 4. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
                Diego_Intel

I believe that what Fernando means is to test each drive separately, plus the system drive in this case, as the operating system is installed in the SSDs RAID volume.

So try using each of the drives that are not part of the RAID 0 (the ST3250620AS drives) one at a time to see if this behavior is seen.

• 6. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
                  PeRRo_RoJo

I tried unplug one after the other. Problem dosen't disappear.

Also test individual units with system raid. Problem persist.

But i watched one thing in test. If hard Disk doesn´t any member raid, doesn´t fail.

That will check tomorrow with other discs and comment.

I tried install complete package (exe)

I tried update inf with device manager after S.O. Install.

I tried installer inf before S.O. install, in harddisk selecction.

In all cases driver Intel Rapid Storage 12.x.x.xxxx cause this anomaly.

Disabling Hibernation dosen´t solution in my case.

• 7. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
                    Diego_Intel

Alright, keep us posted on the outcome of your new tests once you are done.

• 8. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
                      PeRRo_RoJo

Well, these are my results.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AidOkaKBgFIpdF9fTTZxX3ZUN3BmdF92eVM0ZXV6Q2c&usp=sharing

This night more test and update the table. But it's clear... Drivers fails.

I format one time to test each different version.

Some idea?

• 9. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
                        Fernando

Another idea:

Enter the "Power Options", choose "Change Power Saving Options" (or similar) and then "Enhanced Power Saving Options"..

There you should find an option to manage the power-off time of HDDs. Set it to "Never" and look, what happens.

• 10. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
                          PeRRo_RoJo

This option is the first to disabled after windows install and hibernation (powercfg /h off) and monitor suspend... Always set to: Max power. In BIOS of Main board, all energy saver are disable.

In all sceneries, if one of hardisk is in raid or part of raid, shutdown fails. shutdown only work correctly, when system disk is raid o single non raid and any more hardisk. But if to these system in raid, add another group raid, the shutdown problem appears.

I Tested with another hardisk.
                          I Tested with another power supply.
                          I Tested with another main board.
                          I tested with another cable sata.
                          Even I tested with another main board model.

I don't know how more test.

SOrry my bad english. Google translator help me

El mensaje fue editado por: Ra·l E. Created raid with Orom version 11.6 or 12.7 it´s indiferent, correct?

• 11. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
                            Fernando

Which Intel SATA ports are you using for the RAID0 array and for the not Raided HDDs?

Which of the Marvell SATA ports are you using resp. which drives are connected with the Marvell SATA ports?

• 12. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
                              PeRRo_RoJo

I tested system raid0 on intel ports:
                              0 and 1 (sata 3) - no fail
                              2 and 3 (sata 2) - no fail
                              4 and 5 (sata 2) - no fail

Combinations system Raid0 and data Raid0:
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 2 and 3 - fail
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 4 and 5 - fail
                              System 2 and 3 - Data 0 and 1 - fail
                              System 2 and 3 - Data 4 and 5 - fail

Combinations System Raid0 and data non raid:
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 2 - no fail
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 3 - no fail
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 4 - no fail
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 5 - no fail
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 2 - Data 3 - no fail
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 4 - Data 5 - no fail
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 2 - Data 3 - Data 4 - no fail
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 2 - Data 3 - Data 5 - no fail
                              System 2 and 3 - Data 0 - Data 1 - no fail
                              System 2 and 3 - Data 4 - Data 5 - no fail

Combinations Sustem Raid0, data Raid0 and data non raid
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 2 and 3 - Data 4 - fail
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 2 and 3 - Data 5 - fail
                              System 0 and 1 - Data 3 and 4 - Data 5 - fail

Marvell Sata ports are empty.
                              Some time, connect DVD to install Windows but now, for testing, I use USB

I formated my disk 75 times or more. Shutdown my computer more to 200 times. I´m boring and desperate.

• 13. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
                                Fernando

PeRRo_RoJo schrieb:

Marvell Sata ports are empty.
                                Some time, connect DVD to install Windows but now, for testing, I use USB.

Please connect the 2 HDDs, which are not members of a RAID array, to Marvell SATA ports, then install the latest Intel RST drivers v12.8.x.xxxx and retry your test.

• 14. Re: Hard Disk Shutdown bug which drivers 12.x.x.xxxx in Z77
                                  PeRRo_RoJo

Ok. More news.

I tested:

Default windows 8.1 driver (12.0.1.1018)
                                  Intel system raid 0 + marvell single disk non raid - non fail
                                  Intel system raid 0 + marvell two single disk non raid - non fail
                                  Intel system raid 0 + marvell single disk with broken intel raid - non fail
                                  Intel system raid 0 + marvell two disk with intel raid - non fail
                                  Intel system raid 0 + data raid 0 + marvell single disk non raid = non fail
                                  Intel system raid 0 + data raid 0 + marvell two disk with intel raid = non fail
                                  Intel system raid 0 + data raid 0 + marvell two single disk non raid= non fail
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + marvell single disk non raid = non fail
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + marvell two single disk non raid = non fail
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + marvell two disk with intel raid = non fail
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + data raid 0 + marvell single disk non raid = non fail
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + data raid 0 + marvell two single disk non raid = non fail

Last intel Driver (12.5.0.1066)
                                  Intel system raid 0 + data raid 0 + marvell single disk non raid = fail
                                  Intel system raid 0 + data raid 0 + marvell two disk with intel raid = fail
                                  Intel system raid 0 + data raid 0 + marvell two single disk non raid= fail
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + data raid 0 + marvell single disk non raid = fail
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + data raid 0 + marvell two single disk non raid = fail

Other intel driver (12.8.4.1000)
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + data raid 0 + marvell single disk non raid = fail
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + data raid 0 + marvell two single disk non raid = fail

Another intel driver (12.8.6.1000)

Windows 7 sp1 x64:
                                  Intel drivers (12.8.6.1000) & (12.5.0.1066)
                                  Intel system raid 0 + data raid 0 + marvell single disk non raid = non fail
                                  Intel system raid 0 + data raid 0 + marvell two disk with intel raid = non fail
                                  Intel system raid 0 + data raid 0 + marvell two single disk non raid= non fail
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + data raid 0 + marvell single disk non raid = non fail
                                  Intel system single disk non raid + data raid 0 + marvell two single disk non raid = non fail

More information:

In devide manager / Intel(R) Desktop/Workstation/Server Express Chipset SATA RAID Controller / Driver / Driver Detail... see these archives:

Windows 7 sp1 (12.8.6.1000): IastorA.sys & IastorF.sys
                                  Windows 8.1 default driver (12.0.1.1018): IastorAv.sys
                                  Windows 8.1 (12.8.6.1000): IastorA.sys

All test, I installed the driver manually from within the Device Manager.

1 2 3 Previous Next