1 2 Previous Next 15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 22, 2013 10:19 AM by kevin_intel

Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP

spcxxx

I am owner of mainboard with INTEL P67 chipset and i'm spending weeks already trying to solve UNPLEASANT issue with intel AHCI drivers for windows XP....

PROBLEM:

Under latest XP SP3 prof. with intel AHCI driver installed the SATA ports 1 to 5 with attached HDD >2TB behaves very strange.

Drives are detected in device manager, but no drive letters are assigned (cannot read drive in event viewer)!!!

When using `hot plug` feature of AHCI and connecting the HDD after OS startup, the drive is detected, drive letter assigned and drive looks fine.

I can accept even this behaviour, but in this condition write performance is about 1/5 and even this after writing few GB drops to 1MB and causes stability issues (blue screens etc.)

THIS DOESN'T HAPPEN IF THE DRIVE IS CONNECTED TO SATA0 PORT -  this port is 100% functional, but i have two DATA >2TB HDDs so i can't use them both together.

SUSPICIONS:

-hardware and BIOS should be fine, because everything works great under W7 (both modes) or under WXP in SATA mode with build in microsoft driver used... with different types of hardrives the behavior is the same, so it isn't HDD caused issue.

-to use >2TB HDD with XP i need 3rd party software, i tried more of them (acronis, paragon...) and it doesn't help (same behavior)

-i tried more version of intel AHCI driver for XP (from last 11.2.0.1006 to old 10.1.0.1008), and the behavior is the same

-i tried other versions of XP OS if it isn't problem here

-i tried some registry tweaks mostly associated with AHCI power managment and nothing helps

->>> so it looks sure like strange DRIVER ISSUE (prove me if i'm wrong), even stranger because SATA0 port is fine

• 1. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
          kevin_intel

Hi spcxxx,

Are you using the IRST interface? If so, can you please post your system report from IRST here? If you are not using the IRST interface, may I know what is the bios version installed and the board model please?

• 2. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
            spcxxx

Thanks for your fast response... From the board manufacturer i still got no response for a month

I think i tried to install some `interface` SW listed on intel website at AHCI driver (i hoped it can show some settings i can try to manage) - it was probably IRST.

It is not installed this time but i can install it again if it helps to locate the issue somehow.

btw. intel rapis storage technology is related to RAID setup and management or i'm wrong?

The board i'm using is:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P67%20Pro/?cat=Specifications

with latest bios v2.20 from 6/2012

Setting related to SATA controller in UEFI BIOS are just mode (SATA/AHCI) and turning on/off `agresive management`

First thing i disabled any form of overclocking when trying to solve issue.

AHCI driver installed is called `intel desktop/workstation/server express chipset SATA AHCI controller`

for hardware device ID:

ven_8086 dev_1c02 subsys_1c021849 rev_05

Please let me know if some more information is needed...

• 3. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
              spcxxx

Thanks for your fast response... From the board manufacturer i still got no response for a month

I think i tried to install some `interface` SW listed on intel website at AHCI driver (i hoped it can show some settings i can try to manage) - it was probably IRST.

It is not installed this time but i can install it again if it helps to locate the issue somehow.

btw. intel rapis storage technology is related to RAID setup and management or i'm wrong?

The board i'm using is:

http://www.asrock.com/mb/Intel/P67%20Pro/?cat=Specifications

with latest bios v2.20 from 6/2012

Setting related to SATA controller in UEFI BIOS are just mode (SATA/AHCI) and turning on/off `agresive management`

First thing i disabled any form of overclocking when trying to solve issue.

AHCI driver installed is called `intel desktop/workstation/server express chipset SATA AHCI controller`

for hardware device ID:

ven_8086 dev_1c02 subsys_1c021849 rev_05

Please let me know if some more information is needed...

• 4. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                kevin_intel

Hi spcxxx,

Based on the problem description, It seems that the problem you are having is related to the board itself but not the chipset in your unit. The bios you have may not be working properly since it is not assigning letters to the drives meaning that this could be a problem while recognizing the drives during boot.

I am sorry but for this specific issue you have, will be necessary to install the latest chipset driver and update the other drivers but this software is provided by the computer manufacturer only. You can contact their support site at the following link:

http://www.asrock.com/support/index.asp

• 5. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                  spcxxx

- i'm repeating, under W7 with microsoft drivers installed EVERY PORT works 100% under AHCI, so i really doubt the BIOS has something with this.

btw. the OS is assigning the drive letters and not BIOS itself...

by trying to force assigning drive letter inside OS (the harddrive hardware is detected OK) it denies to `populate` -> it populates just after sata cable is disconnected and reconected again (HDD hot swap reinitialision)

- i tried drivers, even higher versions than manufacturer offers and nothing helps

Is there some other driver for INTEL P67 AHCI under WXP older than 10.1.0.1008 or newer than 11.2.0.1006 i can try?

- problem looks to be associated with initialision of intel SATA controller driver at startup, it sets up the controller on it's own and clearly something is going wrong on ports 1 to 5, just port 0 works OK even with >2 TB HDD

- critical combination is AHCI Intel driver + HDD > 2TB connected to port 1 to 5 built on mainboard chipset...

Are there some registry tweaks i can try for intel driver?

Or i have one idea - do you have some service software available that outputs all CHIPSET SETTINGS for INTEL P67?

Because port 0 is working fine, it is good way to solve the trouble by comparing chipset variables for every SATA port to see WHAT IS DIFFERENT on port 1

(port 0 and 1 are SATA3, 2 to 5 are SATA2)

thanks

• 6. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                    spcxxx

- i'm repeating, under W7 with microsoft drivers installed EVERY PORT works 100% under AHCI, so i really doubt the BIOS has something with this.

btw. the OS is assigning the drive letters and not BIOS itself...

by trying to force assigning drive letter inside OS (the harddrive hardware is detected OK) it denies to `populate` -> it populates just after sata cable is disconnected and reconected again (HDD hot swap reinitialision)

- i tried drivers, even higher versions than manufacturer offers and nothing helps

Is there some other driver for INTEL P67 AHCI under WXP older than 10.1.0.1008 or newer than 11.2.0.1006 i can try?

- problem looks to be associated with initialision of intel SATA controller driver at startup, it sets up the controller on it's own and clearly something is going wrong on ports 1 to 5, just port 0 works OK even with >2 TB HDD

- critical combination is AHCI Intel driver + HDD > 2TB connected to port 1 to 5 built on mainboard chipset...

Are there some registry tweaks i can try for intel driver?

Or i have one idea - do you have some service software available that outputs all CHIPSET SETTINGS for INTEL P67?

Because port 0 is working fine, it is good way to solve the trouble by comparing chipset variables for every SATA port to see WHAT IS DIFFERENT on port 1

(port 0 and 1 are SATA3, 2 to 5 are SATA2)

thanks

• 7. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                      spcxxx

.... or i can even better try to compare what's different set on PORTS 1-5 in XP AHCI (troubles) than W7 AHCI (100%).

• 8. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                        spcxxx

The `not working` HDD is after trying to populate reported in properties like:

type=unknown

status= unreadable

partition style= not applicable

capacity= 0

interesting is that on lover level (hd tune) i can test the drive and read speeds are fine, the `error scan` is working fine too...

First i suspected additional driver for using >2TB under XP, but i tried 3 different (3tb loader provided by MB manufacturer, ACRONIS manager provided by HDD manufacturer and PARAGON GPT loader) and they all behave the same...

• 9. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                          kevin_intel

Hello spcxxx,

Actually, since the board you have comes with a 6 Series chipset you can install the latest IRST driver that provides support for AHCI/RAID controller.

You can download the driver at the following link:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&ProdId=2101&DwnldID=23060&keyword=Intel+rapid+Storage+Technology+(Intel+RST)&lang=eng

It is important to mention that this version is for Win 7, 8 and 8.1 only. The latest version that support Windows XP is 11.2.

• 10. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                            spcxxx

Yes, but i have NO ISSUES under W7, problem is just under XP...

(so this advice and link is completely useless in this situation)

you mean probably ver 11.2.0.1006 which i already have as i mentioned - the higher versions are just `not supported` under XP or not installable at all?

So there is no utility to read 6 series INTEL chipset registers under windows OS to cross check differences in set values like i mentioned sooner?

• 11. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                              spcxxx

So i have MORE SPECIFIC INFO:

I installed under W7 the same driver as under WXP (INTEL AHCI 11.2.0.1006), under W7 it still works everything OK...

I installed IRST interface under XP too, so if you like to do me with it something it is possible now...

SOME MORE INFO USING diskcheckup software:

for example 4TB seagate HDD under following conditions:

W 7 intel driver 11.2 AHCI

Device Capacity:                                                   3815445 MBModel Number:                                                      ST4000DM000-1F2168
                                 Firmware Revision:                                                 CC52
                                 Partitions:                                                       
                                    E:         3815317 MB

ATA information:                                                     

Disk geometry:                                                    
                                    Cylinders:                                                      486401
                                    Tracks/Cylinder:                                                255
                                    Sectors/Track:                                                  63
                                    Bytes/Sector:                                                   512
                                    Total disk sectors:                                             7814037168
                                    Logical sector size:                                            512
                                    Physical sector size:                                           4096
                                    Media rotation rate:                                            5900 RPM
                                    Buffer size:                                                    0 KB
                                    ECC size:                                                       4 Bytes

XP intel driver 11.2 AHCI (hotplug inside OS)

Device Capacity:                                                   3815453 MB

Model Number:                                                      ST4000DM000-1F2168
                                 Partitions:                                                       
                                    G:         3815317 MB

ATA information:                                                     

Disk geometry:                                                    
                                    Cylinders:                                                      486402

XP intel driver 11.2 AHCI (after copying os few GB data the speed falls down to about 1MB/s and there is still some background writing activity on the drive)

Device Capacity:                                                   3815453 MB

Model Number:                                                      ST4000DM000-1F2168
                                 Partitions:                                                       
                                    N/A

ATA information:                                                     

Disk geometry:                                                    
                                    Cylinders:                                                      486402

XP intel driver 11.2 AHCI (there is no letter assigned to drive when connected at startup of OS)

Device Capacity:                                                   2097151 MB

Partitions:                                                       
                                    N/A

ATA information:                                                     

Disk geometry:                                                    
                                    Cylinders:                                                      4294967295
                                    Tracks/Cylinder:                                                1
                                    Sectors/Track:                                                  1

-----> as you can see, the letter in XP is not assigned at startup because the geometry is incorrect!!!

(just 2TB detected and not 486402/255/63)

-----> at hotplug there is one more cylinder detected in XP than in W7

(486402 vs 486401)

-----> after some GBs writing to drive the speed falls down to 1MBs and there is still DRIVELETTER assigned but DISKCHECKUP is not seeing it anymore

• 12. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                                kevin_intel

Hi Russ.Dill,

At this point I appreciate the information you provide on this matter. I will forward it to the corresponding department for future considerations. In the meantime, I am afraid that the driver 11.2 is the only for XP at this time. 

• 13. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                                  spcxxx

So i tried one more thing and i have results:

I forced the INTEL AHCI 9.5 driver (too old for 6 series chipset oficialy) to XP and

IT LOOKS THAT IT WORKS!!!!! (at least the harddrive is detected at startup of XP)

So i was RIGHT from the first moment - THE PROBLEM IS IN BUGGY INTEL DRIVER and there goes something wrong at transition from 9.5 version to higher....

everything you was able like INTEL SUPPORT  was:

-blame the MB manufacturer

-offer me the drivers for other OS

I tried to do my best and to specify the conditions of found issue as good as possible.

I hoped for the wise advices from men at the source of wisdom about INTEL products (drivers) and the reality is just sad

This support SUCKS and in this quality you can shut down it and save the money and there is no loss for customers!

have i nice day - i hope you will try to fix this (releasing fixed driver for 6 series chipset for XP), if the big reputable and essential company like INTEL doesn't care then i think the all IT industry is lost....

• 14. Re: Serious issue with INTEL AHCI driver under XP
                                    spcxxx

I can confirm, that after several reboots and about 200GB copied to drive the old driver 9.5.0.1037 (forced intel 5 series) looks to work fine and without described issues....

It behaves like under W7, there is very stable writing speed at the level like in W7 with 11.6

Is it OK to use forced 5 series driver for 6 series chipset?

1 2 Previous Next