Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Open GL not available always

idata
Employee

Hi,

I have a problem with Open GL support: when I start our application in my laptop (Asus U36SD) I can't see anything on the screen (there should be a video stream), When I connect an external display to my laptop's VGA connector the application works fine. Note I watch the application still on the laptop's screen. The external display is switched off. The problem is related to Open GL functions. Without the connected VGA cable the Open GL service is not available. The application works fine with with an almost similar laptop (Asus U31J).

My laptop has two display adapters: Intel HD 3000 and Nvidia GT 520M. I am using the integrated adapter = Intel.

Any ideas?

br,

Pera

0 Kudos
5 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

What happens to the application if you go to the Device Manager and disable the Intel® HD Graphics 3000 controller?

What is the operating system and driver version that you are using?

What is the name of the application you are having issues with? Is there a log file or debug log to indicate that the issue is in fact related to the video driver?

idata
Employee

Hi Diego

Thanks for responding.

Disabling Intel adapter is challenging: it reinstalls after the boot automatically. I did somehow manage to remove it las week but the result wasn't any better. Actually it was worse because the max resolution was only 1024*768.

Our application has been developed in Qt (origins in Linux). We have converted it to Windows 7.

Today I updated the driver version from 9.17.10.2932 to 9.17.10.3223. There was no change in our application or the test applications but the OpenGL Extensions Viewer run fine with and without the external display. I will rerun the tests but it seems now the problem is very probably in the development environment (Qt 5) or its libraries or the installation of my PC.

I will continue debugging and get back when I know more.

Sorry for bothering you. Let's put this issue in hold for a while.

br,

Pera

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Hi

I've tested some example applications, modifed them and also tested an application made with Visual Studio.

It seems OpenGL works when painting something containing 3D. Any 2D results in black screen. I also noticed GPU drivers (Intel 3000) doesn't support OpenGL buffering.

When trying to display something in 2D there is a runtime error for each of the following functions:

glActiveTexture

glCreateProgram

glCreateProgramObject

glCreateShader

glCreateShaderObject

glDisableVertexAttribArray

glEnableVertexAttribArray

glProgramParameteri

glUniform1i

glUniform2fv

glUniform3fv

glUniform4fv

glUniformMatrix3fv

glVertexAttrib3fv

glVertexAttribPointer

My conclusion is that the driver for Intel HD Graphics 3000 but when rendering 3D widgets Windows uses NVIDIA drivers that work.

br

Pertti

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Sorry for missing some words. The end should be as follows: My conclusion is that the driver for Intel HD Graphics 3000 does not support the right OpenGL version but when rendering 3D widgets Windows uses NVIDIA drivers that work.

br,

Pertti, again 🙂

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

You may need to check this directly on the software developer support community at http://software.intel.com/en-us/communities Communities | Intel® Developer Zone

0 Kudos