4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 16, 2013 2:24 PM by AleksSony

Problem with DH87RL and PCI-E graphics cards and resetting BIOS

karakal

Hello!

I have a problem with the Intel DH87RL and PCI-E graphics cards... (Two AMD Radeon cards)

The system was running fine with the internal graphics, when I decided to add the dedicated graphics card. Neither the motherboard nor windows did recognize the card. Switching out the card against an older model, that was working in another pc, didn't work either...

Both cards are in working order, as was tested in other pcs. The PSU is also okay, it is Haswell certified and has 630W ratings, so should be okay for a 4570 and a older mid-range graphics card.

After testing all output ports I decided to switch off the internal graphic in the BIOS by switching to "ICG always disabled".

Now I have the effect, that the system beeps twice when switched on and shows no picture neither on the Radeon nor the internal graphics.

I also had no success in resetting the BIOS to factory defaults. I tried the method with the USB stick and the bios-file, but no change was visible.

So two questions:

1) What is wrong with the board and why doesn't it recognize any graphic card? Should I return it?

2) How can I reset the BIOS? I am really disappointed in Intel's QA.. How is it possible, that such a crucial feature is not working???h

• 1. Re: Problem with DH87RL and PCI-E graphics cards and resetting BIOS
          sylvia_intel

Hello Karakal, we have seen this issue recently when customers are using W8.1. This was already sent to our Engineering team in order to find a solution for it.

You may want to try the following troubleshooting provided by a customer in this thread.  https://communities.intel.com/thread/44769

We were able to replicate every step in our systems, at the end after 8 to 10 hours without the CMOS battery, we turned ON the system and we were able to access BIOS and reset default settings.

If these recommendations worked for you, I would suggest you keep the integrated graphics "enable" while we got this issue fixed.

Please let me know which the current BIOS version of your motherboard is?

• 2. Re: Problem with DH87RL and PCI-E graphics cards and resetting BIOS
            karakal

Hello Sylvia!

I could solve the problem in another way.

I noticed, that the BIOS-security-jumper was in the "secure" position.

After rebooting once without the jumper, and then setting the jumper to "normal" position all my PCI-E cards started to work and I was able to access the BIOS afterwards... So there was no need to reset the BIOS....

But somehow it felt quirky...

• 3. Re: Problem with DH87RL and PCI-E graphics cards and resetting BIOS
              sylvia_intel

Great .!! I’m glad to know the problem was solved.

• 4. Re: Problem with DH87RL and PCI-E graphics cards and resetting BIOS
                AleksSony

sylvia_intel wrote:

Hello Karakal, we have seen this issue recently when customers are using W8.1. This was already sent to our Engineering team in order to find a solution for it.

You may want to try the following troubleshooting provided by a customer in this thread.  https://communities.intel.com/thread/44769

We were able to replicate every step in our systems, at the end after 8 to 10 hours without the CMOS battery, we turned ON the system and we were able to access BIOS and reset default settings.

If these recommendations worked for you, I would suggest you keep the integrated graphics "enable" while we got this issue fixed.

Please let me know which the current BIOS version of your motherboard is?

3.9.3 Power Button Menu The Power Button Menu can be accessed during power on if the user presses the power button and holds it down until three short beep sounds are emitted by the board piezoelectric speaker.  The BIOS will display the following prompt and wait for a keystroke:[F2] Intel® Visual BIOS or [F4] BIOS Recovery

This solution resolve my problem after 2 days trying to use yours...

1 of 1 people found this helpful