Intel vPro® Platform
Intel Manageability Forum for Intel® EMA, AMT, SCS & Manageability Commander
2834 Discussions

reboot instead of shutdown using AMT

FGath
Beginner

Hello,

i'm using Intel AMT to connect to my HTPC and everytime I try to shut the pc down while being connected to the computer, the pc goes off just to turn on again after a few seconds. The solution is to let it reboot, use the Intel Management software to disconnect the AMT KVM connection and then to shut the pc down. OS is Windows 8.1, board is a DQ87PG. Is there a setting which deactivates this "feature"?

Many Regards

Florian

0 Kudos
12 Replies
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

Hi Florian,

I will try to reproduce this issue with my DQ87PG, but I have a couple of questions about your setup.

1. What active connections do you have to the computer when you turn it off (SOL, IDE-R, KVM)?
  2. Are you shutting the computer off from the OS, or are you sending a Power Off command?

3. Is the Intel Management software you are using the Intel vPro Platform Solution Manager? If so, what version of the software are you using?
  4. What is the version of your BIOS, and ME firmware?

Thanks.

-Alan

0 Kudos
FGath
Beginner

Hi,

1. I use the KVM connection using the Real VNC viewer Plus

2. The shutdown command from the OS and the Power Off command (graceful) seem to not work correctly. However the non-graceful poweroff works.

3. The Management Software I used to close the connection is called "Intel Management and Security Status" and came with the ME Drivers I used.

4. Bios PGQ8710H.86A.0036.2013.0702.1908, ME FW 9.0.2.1345, MEBx Ver: 9.0.0.0023, LMS Ver: 9.0.0.1323, Mei Driver 9.0.0.1287, Sol Driver 9.0.0.1287

Many regards,

Florian

0 Kudos
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

Florian,

Please update to the latest BIOS and see if you're still experiencing this issue.

Thanks.

-Alan

0 Kudos
FGath
Beginner

Hi,

the BIOS Update does not work :-/ It shows an error at "Flashing Image for Intel Management Engine Firmware.. FwUpdateFullBuffer [failed]"

Technical information: (0x8000000000000015, 1566)

Any help would be appreciated as the computer does show very very strange symptoms like not booting everytime, shutdown issues etc.

Regards,

Florian

0 Kudos
FGath
Beginner

Hello Alan,

i've tried to update, but the bios update crashes at the IME part with: ERROR FwUpdateFullBuffer

Technical information 0x8000000000000015, 1566.

The computer seems to be in a somehow unstable condition and does not boot correctly everytime. The AMT settings got cleared.

Regards

0 Kudos
Alan_A_Intel
Employee

Florian,

To update the BIOS do one of the following:

1. Download the .EXE version of the BIOS and run it from inside Windows.
  2. Download the .BIO version of the BIOS and put it on an empty USB flash drive. Then follow the steps in section 3.6 of the motherboard manual.
  3. Download the .BIO version of the BIOS and put it on an empty USB flash drive.
    1. Power off the computer and pull the power cable.
    2. Open the case and remove the BIOS Security Jumper (shown in section 2.3 of the motherboard manual).
    3. Plug in the USB flash drive.
    4. Power on the Computer.
    5. After the BIOS update completes power off the computer and replace the BIOS Security Jumper to the 1-2 position.

0 Kudos
FGath
Beginner

Hi,

I tried all 3 methods, with the same result, still the error message during the update. After the error the system boots with the old BIOS version.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

"Version 0121" (FLB8510H.86A) is from another MB DB85FL.

0 Kudos
FGath
Beginner

Hi,

I've tried it, but still no luck. After the reboot before flashing, a short message pops up, but only for a few ms. Then the screen turns black (DisplayPort, VGA) and after a minute the old BIOS boots up.

@addagger: I too wondered about this BIOS version, but it seems to be valid for the DQ87PG too and is listed for this board. Do you face the same problems?

Many regards

Florian

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Actually not the same issue. I just want to update BIOS because 0036 a little buggy for me.

It seems to me, the problem is in ME itself. Password protection or something like that...

Tomorrow I'll try to disable ME at all and then update BIOS again...

FYI http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-025681.htm Desktop Boards — BIOS update issues on Intel� AMT systems

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I just want to update BIOS to the latest one, because 0036 seems to be little buggy.

What if you try to deactivate EM first then update BIOS to 0139 ?...

0 Kudos