8 Replies Latest reply on Nov 29, 2009 10:13 PM by deckard

DHCP

d22710

Does anyone know how to turn off dhcp discover packets on new intel mother boards intel DG45ID?

With packet monitor the mac address request dhcp packets when booted up to ultimate boot prompt

with no network support. turned off boot off LAN in bios and still sends packets from the mac address.

• 1. Re: DHCP
          Cpt.Dogfruit

Hi d22710,

Unfortunately I don’t believe there is a way to turn off the dhcp discover packets. In theory they should switch off automatically when you disable the network boot. I can't confirm this but i don't think it does it on any of the 4 series boards.

• 2. Re: DHCP
            deckard

Is this why, even though I have set my IP to static, my machine is grabbing a DHCP address as well?

Using Look@LAN, I see 2 entries with the same MAC address. However, the DHCP address shows up as "NOT WINDOWS".

If  disabling boot from LAN doesn't fix this, would disabling WOL do it?

• 3. Re: DHCP
              racefanatic

Um can you start from the beggining an explain your setup and we might be able to help,,,are you running a server?,is this pc used as a gammer?,why do you need a static IP?..did you install a NIC also or are using the on board one,,,.your vague ? will get very vague answers and may not be what your looking for...just a little more info please...

• 4. Re: DHCP
                deckard

Hi. I was chiming in because this was the only thread that seemed to have anything to do with this issue.

My setup is Media Center 2005. All my machines are set to static because it's easier for me to manage everything that way.

Onboard NIC only. No other connections. All network settings in Windows only point to the single static IP, so I have no idea why this machine is also grabbing an address from my router's DHCP server. It's not a "problem" per say, just really curious as this is the first machine I've ever set up that is doing this.

Thanks.

• 5. Re: DHCP
                  deckard

I take it this is normal behavior then? Does the first response regarding DHCP discover packets explain why the board would be grabbing an IP during bootup/before the OS loads?

• 6. Re: DHCP
                    deckard

I take it this is normal behavior then? Does the first response regarding DHCP discover packets explain why the board would be grabbing an IP during bootup/before the OS loads?

Sorry for the double post. Said it didn't go through the first time, but apparently it did...

• 7. Re: DHCP
                      dimlaz

Hi. It's Intel® Management Engine BIOS Extension. Simple disable on bios.

• 8. Re: DHCP
                        deckard

Thanks for your suggestion but Intel ME is already disabled in the BIOS.

I disabled all "Boot from LAN" and WOL options as well. This machine is still grabbing an IP right at bootup.

I didn't see any other settings in the BIOS that appeared to be related.

If someone can tell me the BIOS settings they use where this does not occur it would be most appreciated.