4 Replies Latest reply on Nov 6, 2013 7:24 AM by Zorat

Help Swapping Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drives with WD Red in my Raid 5

Zorat

Gents,

I implore you for your expert advice.

I have a computer set up with a 128GB SSD and 4 3TB Seagate Barracuda drives. In the last year I have had all 4 drives fail at one time or another, and I am not comfortable with their product anymore, and am trying to swap them out with 3TB WD Red drives. I was hoping that this would be pretty easy.

I was expecting that I would pull the dead Seagate drive out, and replace it with the WD Red, and that I would be prompted to rebuild, but I can't seem to get that to work.

I have an ASRock Z77 Extreme3 Motherboard in the system. The SSD is hooked up to Port 0. The 4 3TB Drives are attached at 2,3,4 & 5.

Intel says that it should be as easy as: Going to the intel rapid storage technology application, and click rebuild, but that option is not available to me.

Can I do this from the Bios? And how would I do that?

What am I missing, or what suggestions do you have to help me out?

What other information am I missing that you need?

I have tried the Intel� Rapid Storage Technology (Intel� RST) — Rebuilding a degraded RAID volume after a failed drive is replaced

But I was not prompted to rebuild.

Thanks a bunch,

Z

• 1. Re: Help Swapping Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drives with WD Red in my Raid 5
          kevin_intel

Hi Zorat,

It is important to take in consideration the following:

- Make sure the disks do not have any format.

- Use same HDD capacity.

In the case that you have all this, can you please post your system report from the Intel® Rapid Storage Technology?

• 2. Re: Help Swapping Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drives with WD Red in my Raid 5
            Zorat

Thanks Kevin.

You said to "make sure the disks do not have any format". Does that mean not initialized, (I just initialized it as GPT after you mentioned this, as no initialization wasn't prompting, so I thought initializing it to the same as the RAID might help) Or do you mean that they should not have any partitions? (at this point the disc wasn't even initialized, let alone having any partitions)

They should be the same size. Again, a 3TB Seagate Barracuda, and a 3TB Western Digital Red.

As for the system report, I am sorry to ask, but is there a link as to how I get that?

Thanks again for your help, I really appreciate it. I know my way around most hardware and software, but this is taking me outside of my comfort zone.

Z

• 3. Re: Help Swapping Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drives with WD Red in my Raid 5
              kevin_intel

Hi Zorat,

The SSD that you use for acceleration should not have partitions or format. When I say format, I mean the SSD should be completely in blank and the space should be as unallocated.

You can get the System report from the IRST by doing the following steps:

1. Open IRST.
              2. Click on the Help Tab.
              3. Select System Report Tab.
              4. Click on Save.

After that you may open the .txt file that will be created and copy and paste the information here so I can check more about the current configuration you have.

• 4. Re: Help Swapping Seagate Barracuda 3TB Drives with WD Red in my Raid 5
                Zorat

Kevin,

I found out out the issue was related to the size of the drives. the Seagate drives are a few KB larger than the WD Reds. I ended up doing a back up, setting up a new RAID, and a restore.