6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 9, 2013 3:45 PM by williw14r

DH87RL no beep, no BIOS, no signal from on Board Video

williw14r

Hello.

I was building a new system with

Intel® PC-Mainboard DH87RL

Core i5-4570

2x Kingston KHX1600C10D3B1/8G acc. to tested memory list (3 other types tested before without success)

Samsung SSD 840 250 GB

Enermax ETL 300AWT

Monitor HP LP2475w

The long lasting story was published first in the heise forum in German (they suggested this low energy system). You can find the discussion here.

I will summarize as short as possible.

- At first start up there was no beep, no BIOS visible

- Started testing different memory types from local dealers without success

- Sent back the board to the supplier for exchange

- After new rebuild the same situation: no beep no BIOS visible

- Again new memory from local dealers and finally new order of memory from the tested memory list (see above)

- Still no success but I could see that the keyboard seems to get a signal from the board as the LED was switched on

- As the system was connected to the monitor via KVM switch I now tested it with the direct connection via DVI and also HDMI

- I could see that the monitor recognized the active connection to the PC but still no video signal came from the board to the screen

- Finally I plugged in an old MSI R4350-MD512H graphics card and now I got a video signal!

Now I could at first time step into the BIOS and also install the operating system and all the Intel drivers requested. To get rid of the old graphics card again I made the following changes in the BIOS:

- Changed "Integrated Graphics Device" from "Enable if Primary" to "Always enable" (did not solve the problem)

- Changed "Primary Video Adaptor" from "Auto" to "Int. Graphics (IGD)"

The system now boots without an additional graphics card but when you leave the system for 10 minutes and the monitor shuts down (due to energy savings settings) it will again wake up no more. You can log on "blindly" but this also does not wake-up the monitor. The only solution is to press the switch-off button to reboot the system. A non acceptable situation.

I would really know what needs to be done to get the system working correctly. At the moment it seems that the on board video is still unable to provide a correct signal for the HP LP2475w monitor. What help can you provide me after my long and deep analysis.

Wilhelm

• 1. Re: DH87RL no beep, no BIOS, no signal from on Board Video
          sylvia_intel

Wilhelm, the issue could be related with the power supply you are using?  Have you tried to use a different power supply?

On the following link I was able to see that Enermax ETL 300AWT is not a Haswell ready power supply. http://www.enermax.it/power-supplies/triathlor/    

You can also try some basic troubleshooting such as testing the system out of the chassis with minimal configuration. (Motherboard, processor, power supply, 1 memory stick)

Remove the CMOS battery and leave the system without it for about an hour. Then put it back on and restart the system. http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/desktop/sb/CS-028780.htm?wapkw=clear+cmos+battery#datetime    

Just in case, remember that low profile memory is not supported by this motherboard.

• 2. Re: DH87RL no beep, no BIOS, no signal from on Board Video
            williw14r

Thank you Sylvia for your first reply. I need to order a new "Haswell ready" power supply first and make these tests. This will last a few days.

But why did I not get a video signal from the on board graphics device to the monitor at the very first start up? Why must I plug in an old graphics card first for being able to enter into the BIOS at all? This should not be related to the power supply I think.

Wilhelm

• 3. Re: DH87RL no beep, no BIOS, no signal from on Board Video
              krikkit

@sylvia_intel: the Enermax Triathlor ETL300AWT does support intel Haswell processors, read the page carefully!

http://www.enermax.co.uk/triathlor

Intel® Haswell ready!

Supports the C6/C7 energy-saving functions of the latest Intel® CPUs incl. the forthcoming Intel® Haswell™ generation.

...without exception, so power-supply should not be the problem!

• 4. Re: DH87RL no beep, no BIOS, no signal from on Board Video
                williw14r

Thank you krikkit. Within the text information it is clearly stated without any exceptions. What possibly me and Sylvia confused was the figure, where an exception was made. But this seems to belong to the red box and not to the blue one (see may screenshot below).

Now we need to go back to start. Tested two boards, tested differend types of memory and now using the suggested from the intel list of tested memory, the power supply is also excluded as root cause but the system only starts with the manually BIOS settings from my first post and the monitor will not wake up again after he was going to sleep. At the moment I switched off all the energy saving settings in Win7 (never go sleeping) but this should not be the final solution. Is it possibly a driver problem. Installed is HD Graphics 4600 9.18.10.3257 and it seems that this is the latest one.

Haswell_ready.png

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DH87RL no beep, no BIOS, no signal from on Board Video
                  sylvia_intel

Williw14r, thanks a lot for the clarification about the power supply. It was confused.

In regards to the issue you are experiencing, we already duplicate it and we are not getting the same results.

Would you please try the following?

• Go to BIOS and run default settings. We have seeing that when we change something on BIOS, the board start giving video problems. This was already sent to the Engineering Team so they can find a solution.
                  • Once you are on Windows, could you please go to control panel and access the power options, go to “change plan settings”.

power options1.JPG

• Please change the “turn off the display” from 10 minutes to 20 minutes and you may want to change the “put the computer to sleep” to never.

power options2.JPG

Let me know the results.

• 6. Re: DH87RL no beep, no BIOS, no signal from on Board Video
                    williw14r

Following the steps above the system seems to work as expected:

- Monitor is going to sleep after 20 minutes

- Computer was going to sleep after 30 minutes (my settings)

- Power LED started blinking

- System was able to wake-up correctly --> see below

Now I tested to change the "Primary Power Settings" (all the rest was still default settings). When I've set to "Custom" and "Low Power" I could reproduce the failure that the monitor was not able to wake-up but I could log on "blindly" and shut down the system using "alt/F4" (as I did before). When I set the"Primary Power Settings" to "Energy Efficient Performance" and "Balanced" the system again worked as expected.

So it seems that the system is unable to handle the "Low Power" setting correctly.

Nachricht geändert durch Wilhelm Kleinoeder: After some further days of testing I experienced that also with the default BIOS settings the monitor is going to sleep forever (thats the reason to strikethrough some text above).