2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 25, 2015 12:44 PM by schoboat

SSHD vs Intel Rapid Storage Technology?

Kurt_S

I'm building a new system with an i7 4770K on a Z87 MB.  This combo offers Intel Rapid Storage Technology, where I could set up a RAID 10 of SSDs and HDDs for fast storage buffering and redundancy.  Sounds perfect, but Seagate makes an SSHD (integrated SSD and HDD) which appears to do the job in a RAID 1.

Desktop Solid State Hybrid Drive (SSHD) – HDD SSD Desktop Upgrade | Seagate

Can anyone recommend which way to go?  I think it will be slightly less costly to use the SSHDs, and certainly less difficult.  But what's the performance difference?

Thanks!

• 1. Re: SSHD vs Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
          Diego_Intel

Mixing SSDs and hard drives  may not be a feasible option to construct a RAID array.

The only feature that we have validated for using SSDs and hard drives is as cache using Intel® Smart Response technology.

This is similar to what hybrid hard drives like the one you mentioned offer, however you would need to check with your drives manufacturer to see if that type of drive are validated for RAID volumes.

From our side we do not evaluate the performance of the specific RAID configurations used. In this case, if you have concerns about the performance and data transfers on your computer, please refer directly to your hard drive manufacturer.

• 2. Re: SSHD vs Intel Rapid Storage Technology?
            schoboat

Having read Seagate and Intel to Demonstrate Solid State Hybrid Drive Capabilities at Intel Developer Forum 2012 (Seagate and Intel to Demonstrate Solid State Hybrid Drive Capabilities at Intel Developer Forum 2012 | Seagate), I thought that buying a Seagate SSHD would maximize compatibility and reduce anomalies. Would have thought the recognition of the Seagate SSHD would be a slam dunk. Despite not recognizing the SSHDs, they are working fine in a RAID1 configuration with Windows 7 loaded on them. Clean install loading the "F6" drivers during the Windows 7 install.