3 Replies Latest reply on Jan 16, 2014 3:32 AM by mlauss

DB85FL: UEFI does not find any bootable entries

mlauss

Hello,

I have a DB85FL with latest bios/efi release.  SSD is attached to channel 0.

UEFI does not find any bootable entry.  I've repeatedly create various entries

using Linux' efibootmgr, the ESP seems okay.

I _CAN_ boot if I manually launch the linux kernel or GRUB binary from the EFI

shell!   I can also create/delete boot entries, and change boot order with efibootmgr,

but the firmware flatly refuses to follow these settings.

fi

Is this one of those stupid uefi bioses which only boot windows? and is there a

way around this gross limitation?

Thanks!

M.L.

• 1. Re: DB85FL: UEFI does not find any bootable entries
          mlauss

After half a day of doctoring around I finally figured it out:

The EFI System Partition _MUST_ have a directory "Boot" (case-sensitive!) with a "bootx64.efi" file (again, case must match *exactly*) in it.  Then, and only then will the bios setup screen list and boot _ONE_ entry in the EFI database, AND even find ESPs on USB and optical media!

Please please please fix this!  What use is EFI when it's hardcoded to just boot windows?!?

• 2. Re: DB85FL: UEFI does not find any bootable entries
            gusnz

Posting in this topic as I have a DB85FL on the latest 0123 BIOS and its UEFI support is very broken.

A Samsung 840 SSD has a 512mb FAT32 partition marked as EFI System. It is not detected by the UEFI page in BIOS (states no boot device found). Opening the UEFI App explorer dialog will display the content of "fs0:" (the ESP). Clicking on the "EFI" folder within it does not display any content (I have a "Boot" folder within containing "bootx64.efi", neither of which are visible). Browsing other folders works but even right-clicking on the Intel Tianocore EFI shell placed in the root of the ESP as "shellx64.efi" and choosing "Launch Application" results in nothing happening.

I can update the BIOS with a file saved on the ESP, so it's clearly readable by the BIOS.

Intel: Is there anything I am doing wrong? If not, given that your company largely wrote the UEFI spec, could you please ship a BIOS update that will implement booting your own EFI shell in a working fashion?

• 3. Re: DB85FL: UEFI does not find any bootable entries
              mlauss

There is an option in the "Boot/UEFI" tab of visualbios to enable the built-in EFI shell, and from there you can launch arbitrary efi apps.

On my board bios 0123 won't even find the ESP in the application explorer, but it still boots.  The current EFI

implementation on intel bioses is very very very broken for everyone who doesn't want windows...