1 2 Previous Next 16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 4, 2013 2:01 PM by TCurts

No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL

TCurts

Hi,

how can i see the cpu fan speed without going into the bios?

I tried several proigramms, but even the Intel® Desktop Utilities can't show the CPU fan speed.

I use Win7 x64.

Best regards

• 1. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
          kevin_intel

Hi TCurts,

From our side the only application that we have available to monitor the fan rpms from windows is the Intel® Desktop Utilities but I am afraid that it is not possible to manipulate the settings of this fans from there.

I recommend you checking on the web for any third party software with this capability.

• 2. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
            spearson

TCurts,

Intel(R) Desktop Utilities most definitely displays the CPU fan speed. Are you having a problem finding the display? Invoke the GUI (using the shortcut supplied or by double-clicking on the sensor gauge icon in the system tray), and then click on the "Hardware Monitor" tab. The summary display includes the CPU fan speed. You can also click on the "Processor" tab if you would like to see this presented in gauge form...

...Scott

• 3. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
              TCurts

Hello I tried several programms. None of them seems to be able to monitor the CPU fan speed.

Below you can see in the screenshots that even the "Intel Desktop Utillities" can't show me the fan speed.

Best Regards

NoSpeed1.JPGNoSpeed2.JPG

• 4. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                spearson

Do fan speeds show up when you are in Visual BIOS?

If they do, then, within Intel(R) Desktop Utilities, click on "Options" then "Set Sensor Thresholds" and then on "Fans Redetect". Reboot your system and check the Intel(R) Desktop Utilities display again. This should restore the display of the fan speed(s)...

• 5. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                  TCurts

Unfortunately neither the speed is shown in the visual bios nor your tip worked. I don't think that it is a problem of the fan itself because it already was attached to a Asus Board and there everything worked well.

• 6. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                    spearson

Yea, if they aren't working in the BIOS, resampling them at runtime isn't going to make any difference.

I need more information to diagnose further. What fans do you have plugged into the board? Have you tried plugging them into different headers on the board (even temporarily) and checking in BIOS? Have you tried plugging other fans into the board? Is the CPU fan a stock heatsink-fan unit from Intel? If not, (a) what brand is it and (b) does it have a 4-pin connector or a 3-pin connector (and, if it's a 3-pin connector, does it have wires going back to the fan for all three pins)?

Are the fans that are plugged into the board changing speed? Unplug the system (or turn off power using switch on back of power supply if there is one) for ~15 seconds (at least until power LED on board goes out) and then plug it back in (or turn on power) and press the power button to start it up. The fans should start at a higher (louder) speed and then slow down (get quieter) as the BIOS initializes the eSIO. Do you hear this change?

...Scott

• 7. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                      TCurts

Hello,

I have only a Scythe Kubuto plugged into the Board. So it is not the one from Intel. The Board and the fan have a 4-Pin connector.

The CPU fan changes the speed if I change the minimal speed in the BIOS to 100% or if I plug it of and on again.

I'll try other fans and connector soon.

Best Regards

• 8. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                        TCurts

Hello,

so pluging the 4-pin CPU fan tu the front fan input works, and pluging a 3-pin fan to the CPU input and the rear fan input works to.

After changing the CPU fan back to the CPU input and the 3 pin fan to the front input the RPM of the front fan is submitted, but not the RPM of the CPU fan.

Seems like if the fan and the input don't like each other.

Best Regards

• 9. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                          TCurts

Does anyone has a clue, why I am encountering these problems?

• 10. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                            daveyg

I have an older Intel Z77 board and had issues with Corsair AF140s not showing their RPM, but both the Visual BIOS and the Intel Utilities Tools showed the headers and reported 0 RPM. It seems strange that you have no readout, I would expect it too at least show 0 RPM.  If that was the case I would diagnose an incompatibility between fan and motherboard header, like my Corsairs.

The fact you have not fans showing in the utilities is very strange.

Explain again what you see in BIOS?

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                            • 11. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                              spearson

First of all, some background comments...

1. The return signal from all fans (3- and 4-wire) is a tachometer signal. Typically (there area few exceptions), two tachometer pulses are sent per revolution. The monitoring device may work in a number of ways, but the net result is that it determines the number of revolutions per minute for the fan.

2. A monitoring device cannot detect the difference between a fan that is not spinning, a fan that is broken and a fan that is not present. In all cases, all the monitoring device sees is no tachometer pulses being returned.

Now, to address daveyg's comment, there is nothing strange going on with Intel(R) Desktop Utilities (IDU)...

IDU was designed to that it will not report that a fan is failing unless that fan has been seen to have worked properly previously. At the point where IDU is installed (or when a Redetect Fans operation is initiated by the user), it must presume that all fans connected to the motherboard are working properly. It (then) determines which fan headers have (working) fans connected to them by sampling to see which headers are currently receiving tachometer pulses from the attached fans. Support for monitoring the fan headers that do not have fans connected to them is disabled. If it is determined that no fans are present, the entire section of the summary display for fan speeds will not be included in the IDU display.

When attempting to determine what is going on in a case like this, the best bet is to use the scene in BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS) that displays fan speeds. It will display 0 RPMs if no fan is connected to a header (or is stopped or is broken).

Ok, to TCurts issue. For some reason, the board's monitoring device is not receiving any detectable tachometer pulses from this fan. There are many, many possible reasons for this, but they all fall into only a few categories, (1) incompatibilities between the fan and the board's monitoring device (very doubtful), (2) failures in the fan or (3) failures in the monitoring device. The easiest way to detect which category the issue falls into is to do the following:

1. Plug a different fan into the CPU header (this can be any 3- or 4-wire fan that you have; it doesn't matter for this experiment). Turn on the system and boot into BIOS Setup (Visual BIOS). If a non-zero fan speed is seen in the display, then a hairy finger is pointing at the Scythe unit. If the fan speed is zero, on the other hand, then a hairy finger is pointing at the CPU Fan Header.

2. Plug the Scythe unit into a different fan header on the board. If a non-zero fan speed is seen, then a hairy finger is pointing at the CPU fan header. If the fan speed is zero, on the other hand, then a hairy finger is pointing at the Scythe unit.

If only one has hairy finger(s) pointing at it, we will know that this is the unit responsible for the issue. If both have a hairy finger pointing at them, then we know that there is an incompatibility between the two.

If the culprit is the CPU Fan header, then contact Intel customer support by chat or by phone to arrange for the motherboard to be replaced...

...Scott

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              • 12. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                                TCurts

Hello, thank you for information.

As I said above (perhaps a bit crypted):

-CPU fan works on front pin properly

-3 pin fan works properly on the CPU input

So we have two hairy fingers...

• 13. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                                  spearson

Yes. Hairy fingers pointing in both directions mean an incompatibility issue. Your choices are to replace the board or replace the cooling solution. If you have (or can borrow) another 4-wire fan - and this fan works in the CPU Fan Header - I would say replace the cooling solution. If this 4-wire fan also fails, then get the board replaced. Easiest thing to check is one of the heatsink-fan units that we ship with our boxed processors. Did you receive one originally?

...S

• 14. Re: No CPU fan speed availble with dh87rL
                                    TCurts

Hi,

I tested it with a old 4-pin fan. The scythe seems to be the problem.

As I don't want to buy a new fan I have the following question. Should there be any problems connecting the CPU fan to the front input and vice versa?

Best regards

1 2 Previous Next