1 2 Previous Next 21 Replies Latest reply on Jan 9, 2015 7:12 PM by wilson caro

Persistent sketch on Galileo Board

RemedioCino

Dear All, I 'm still trying to enable persistent sketch on Galileo Board, following the instruction (and other posts related to this topic)... unfortunatelly without result. Environment: I'm running the IDE on windows 7.  My micro SD card is 1 GB. What I did: LINUX_IMAGE_FOR_SD_Intel_Galileo_v0.7.5 on SD and unzipped it. SD in the socket and power-on the board. I upload a sketch via IDE and it runs correctly. But... as soon as I switch off the board, the sketch disappear. I'm sure the sketch is in the SD card since, following the instruction in this post "How to - Use Galileo Linux with only an Ethernet cable directly connected between laptop and Galileo…", I'm able to reach the /sketch directory. Can you help me ? BR Maurizio

• 1. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
          flummer

Hi Maurizio,

My guess is that you aren't actually booting from the SD card... maybe the card is formatted in a way that the Galileo can't understand or something, and therefor boots from the SPI flash.

If you log in via ethernet AFTER you rebooted (without uploading again), what is the timestamp of the sketch.elf in the /sketch folder? Are there even a sketch.elf file?

You need to have booted your Galileo from the SD card when you upload your sketch from the IDE and when you reboot, that of course also needs to be from the SD card.

My card is FAT16 formatted (it's a small 2GB card) and that seems to work as it should. Sketch starts up as soon as the boot process is done, which takes a bit.

/Thomas

1 of 1 people found this helpful
          • 2. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
            Intel_Glen

Here is how I setup my SD card:

• My SD card (2GB) is formatted FAT (same thing as FAT16).  All content was erased so it was a completely clean SD card.
            • I downloaded the LINUX_IMAGE_FOR_SD_Intel_Galileo_v0.7.5.7z file onto my Windows PC and unzipped it there using 7-zip. Note: this is different than the guide which tells you to put the zip file on the SD card and unzip it there.  I don't know if this makes a difference or not.
            • I then copied the following 4 folders/files that were unzipped from my Windows PC to my SD card:
              • boot (folder)
              • bzImage (file)
              • core-image-minimal-initramfs-clanton-cpio.gz (file)
              • image-full-clanton.ext3 (file)
            • These should obviously go into the top level of your SD card
            • I was then able to insert the SD card into the Galileo and boot from it.
            • You will know that it's booting from your SD card because you'll see the green SD LED blink and flash for about 40-60 seconds after applying power.  Then the blinking will stop.

Hope this helps!

1 of 1 people found this helpful
            • 3. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
              RemedioCino

Hi Flummer,

yuo are right,  I'm actualy not booting from SD.

I realized it since, in the answer received by Intel_glen, I got what should be the right behaviour of SD Led during boot process. On my board, SD LED dosen't blink for 40-60 seconds but just for few millisenconds.

I confirm the SD is formatted as FAT.

HW problem on my Galileo Board ?

I'm getting crazy...:-)

Thanks a lot

Maurizio

• 4. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                RemedioCino

Hi Intel_Glen,

thanks for your help.

Now I know the right behaviour during the boot process  (SD LED blinking and so on).

A step forward but I'm still not able to boot from SD (complitely clean SD card, 1GB, and then formatted FAT).

I'm really don't know....

Regards

Maurizio

• 5. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                  flummer

Hi Maurizio,

When I boot up on SD, it's not like the SD led is blinking all the time... I actually hadn't noticed it until Intel_Glen mentioned it and I went looking for it. On my board it takes about 50 sec. for a boot up from SD.

If you can log in through ethernet, try making a file somewhere, reboot the galileo and see if that file is still there.

Also... maybe try a different tool for unzipping the original file... maybe the built-in unzipping tool does something weird. 7-zip should be a good option.

/Thomas

• 6. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                    RemedioCino

Hi Thomas,

after having uploaded a sketch that allow me to access via ethernet (from the post I've mentioned in my original question), I've created a file in /sketch directory (just a simple file like  ls -l > myfile).

With another ls command I checked the precence of the files: sketch.elf and myfile are present (time stamp 01 Jan 00:02).

Then switch off the board, switch on again and uploading the same sketch for ethernet access, but the file "myfle"  is no more in the dicertory (only the new sketch.elf).

So the /sketch directory is for sure not persistent.

In the GettingStart document is mentioned that "the first time you boot the board may take several minutes". How long was your "first time boot" ? Since no SD LED blinking I can't understand if something happens. Currently I'm quit sure my board doesn't boot from SD.

As soon as I can I will try with another unzip tool.

I'm loosing the hope to see the board working :-)

Thanks a lot for your help

KR

Maurizio

• 7. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                      flummer

Hi Maurizio,

It seems like it's booting from the SPI... My guess is that the files or structures on the SD card isn't exactly as they should be... and it can't boot from it.

I made a serial cable so that I can follow the boot-up sequence... if you have a USB to RS232 adapter or a computer with a serial port, it's pretty simple to make that cable. Sergey describes how on his blog.

You could try with a different SD card, but I'm pretty sure that your Galileo board isn't broken, it's almost always small software stuff that doesn't work.

Don't loose hope, you will get it up and running! ;-)

/Thomas

• 8. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                        intel_jwm

Hi Maurizio,

I had a similar issue when trying to boot from the SD card. Turns out the issue was that after I formatted the SD card there was no boot partition on the card and that was confusing the BIOS when it trying to boot from the SD card. Here are the instructions I got to add the boot partition on a windows machine:

1. Open a cmd.exe as Administrator. 
                        2. Run diskpart.exe,
                        3. then these commands: 
                          1. select vol e (whatever drive letter the stick is); 
                          2. clean ;
                          3. create part primary;
                          4. active ;
                          5. format quick label="BOOTME";
                          6. exit

I was able to then boot from the SD Card with no issues. There is an SDIO LED near the power LED and it should be pretty active during boot. You can use this as an indication that you are indeed booting from the SD card.

Hope this helps.

John

• 9. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                          RemedioCino

Dear John,

yes... it works. Thanks a lot.

I think such kind of info should be present in the Getting Start document. In my case it was essential.

Thanks also to Thomas and Intel_Glen, very useful info received.

Kind Regards

Maurizio

• 10. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                            Zitt

I had problems with Persistent sketches as well. The problem was my board wasn't booting off of SD Card; instead it was booting via SPI eeprom due to older-out-of-date Firmware.

For me; I had to ensure that the Firmware was the same version as the sdcard image. To update the firmware; I followed the Get Started document where it gave details about loading the new Capsule via SDCard via the UEFI shell.

Once I had the correct Firmware on the board; it recognized the sdcard and booted off of it; enabling Persistent sketches via said SD Card.

• 11. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                              MarcIII

Warning: reformatting SD cards and USB sticks (or worse: repartitioning) slows them down and prematurely wears them out, see

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/How_to_Damage_a_FLASH_Storage_Device

The way galileo boots from SD (or USB for that matter) does not involve UEFI, so the "active" command in step 4. is pointless. Same for the "BOOTME" label, I wonder where did that come from? UEFI can certainly boot from USB/SD but not in the current Galileo software releases.

What makes galileo boots from SD/USB ("mass storage") is not UEFI but the grub code embedded in the 8M SPI flash memory. This code looks for a boot/grub/grub.conf file located on partition number 1 of your SD card / USB stick and loads it when it can find it. So the only thing you need to boot from SD/USB is too make sure you've copied the files to partition number 1. I've never seen yet any device formatted with a partition number different from 1, could you please report the exact model reference(s)? I'm interested in reproducing this issue.

Could someone maybe have messed up the factory formatting in the first place? That would explain such problems. In such a case stop using operating system tools and try the official formatting tool recommended by SD cards manufacturers: SD Formatter 4.0 for SD/SDHC/SDXC - SD Association Unfortunately no such tool for USB.

Here is some more (expert) info about this problem: https://wiki.linaro.org/Flash%20memory

• 12. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                                Ilthebest

I followed all the steps:

- I formatted the micro sd;

- I followed the steps in the guide "getting started" for the diskpart.exe;

- I inserted the card into Intel Galileo;

- I connect the microprocessor to the current;

unfortunately never lights up the LED on the card.

How can I resolve the impasse?

• 13. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                                  Clayton Hofrock

Several people have had issues getting the SD card to work. Here is a troubleshooting guide.

SD Card Issues — Clay and Galileo

• 14. Re: Persistent sketch on Galileo Board
                                    MarcIII

Clay, your page is missing a link to https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/ (at least)

1 2 Previous Next