1 2 Previous Next 29 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2012 6:25 AM by elidon

SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?

rgnsupport

I have a SS4200-E with 4 1 TB drives as a RAID-5.  it had been running fine for about 6 months.

I shut it down and powered it off over  a weekend.  when I powered it back on, all 4 drive LED are amber and I can;t access the dashboard.  trying to access it freezes the web interface.  upon boot up, there is some activity on the drive activity light but then it stops.   in the web interface, the drives have an exclamation mark next to them.

i don;t think it;s likely that all 4 drives could have failed at the same time.

could these drives be read on a regular PC running Windows XP or 2000/2003 server?

any help would be appreciated.

• 1. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
          herbert_intel

looks like the system isn't recognizing that the 4 HDDs you have have a raid configuration and is not assembling the raid properly.

Unfortunately only Intel tech support can help you there.

OJ

• 2. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
            rgnsupport

so it turns out that doing a full factory reset to defaults got the unit recognizing the drives.  fortunately, I did not lose data.

• 3. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
              herbert_intel

what reset method did you use?

OJ

• 4. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
                rgnsupport

holding the reset button in the back and power on the unit.

it restored the unit back to the software revision that was originally on the system.

• 5. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
                  slouko

Hi !

I'm now facing the same problem with two drives only.

I have got a SS4200-E with two drives mirrored and it has been working fine last year.

But unfortunately due to longer loss of power (yes, UPS exists but didn't last long enough), both drives are now failing.

I'm using Seagate drives and i was almost sure about their bug in firmware causing drives getting unrecognized by SS4200 BIOS.

But no, i took drives off the box for just checking them on a linux machine. I ran read-only badblocks check also and drives are fine.

But with SS4200, both of drive-leds are amber and i cannot access the dashboard at all. Trying to do so, entire WebUI hangs.

I noticed that the device does detect and identifies correctly both of the drives, and they do exist in device settings page,

but both of them are having a warning /!\ sign that hovers message: "disk has been replaced with a disk containing data from another system.".

So, is it safe to reset the SS4200 without losing the data stored on the disks?

/sami

• 6. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
                    slouko

No success so far :-(

I did reset the storage device, and connected using storage manager software.

I set the password and names again, just trivial things, but it still doesn't let me into dashbord.

It tried to do something to disks, don't know what but HDD led lit maybe a minute.

I managed to access the settings again, and drives are still in the same condition than earlier.

Any suggestions, anybody?

/sami

• 7. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
                      bandesnatch

I'm having the same problem - 4 1Tb drives in RAID-5 array. All drives faulted at the same time. All of them are having a warning /!\ sign that hovers message: "disk has been replaced with a disk containing data from another system" which , of course is not true. System propose to erase this information, but I afraid this is dangerous for my data. Hard reset didn't work for me.

Did you try to contact Intel support?

• 8. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
                        slouko

Yeap, I opened a case in Intel technical support.

No reply from there yet, so we have to wait.

• 9. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
                          Pseudo

I had this and managed to recover from it.

http://communities.intel.com/message/70720#70720

I beleive there is a bug in the software that wrongly reports all drives failed instead of a single disk under some conditions. The bad news is if you do as it says and do a rebuild, you will lose everything.

Hopefully it may work for you.

• 10. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
                            slouko

This is not exactly the same condition, because I cannot access dashboard at all.

Entering the dashboard will hang the user interface, and i have to turh the device off by pressing power button.

/sami

• 11. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
                              bandesnatch

My situation is a little bit different. Initially my device was under 1.1.11.32736 firmware when the error occurred. Dashboard said "4 disks on your storage device have incorrect data on them. Data on the storage device is available but may be lost if another disk fails. Click here to authorize overwriting existing data", all 4 drives were marked with /!\ sign. So it was no clear what drive failed and what data needed to be overwritten. All status leds were solid orange. I performed hard reset which made my device operating under, 1.0.6.xxxx firmware. Under this firmware devices still showing all drives failed with the same error message. One thing changed - after reset one of the drives status led was orange while other were blue for ~10 seconds during boot process. (that was drive 2) . So, reset just helped to identify which drive failed. I installed  brand new drive which differs from existing one only by firmware version, but no luck - same error. I tried to follow Pseudo's advice - changing disks one by one - no luck. When i replace drive 1 or 3 or 4 with new one system says that system status is "Failed", not "degraded". and that all for drives contain data that needs to be overwritten. When I replace drive 2 with new one system says that data exist, but in danger and system  status is "Degraded", it also suggest to overwrite data...

So it is likely a bug in software...

BTW, I checked my brand new drive after I used it as a replacement for the old one in my another computer. Windows indicated that this drive contain one big partition of drive size( it was originally unpartitioned )  I.e. storage system tries ( I believe) to rebuild RAID, but fails for some reasons. It at least allocate partition on new drive, but...

I'm pinging support once a week with no luck - they are not responsive. I hope they are looking for solution.

• 12. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?

I have a SS4200-E with 4 Seagate 1TB HDD. Suddenly when I turn it on this morning, all 4 drive LED are amber and I can't access the dashboard getting a message that the device is unavailable. I have no access on my shared folders and on the web interface I get a message "Disk has been replaced with a disk containing data from another system."

Does anybody can tell me if I can access my data by using HDD on a Windows based PC?

• 13. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
                                  bandesnatch

Well.... welcome to the club .
                                  I tried to contact Intel support 2 times with no luck. In first tine they advised to reset device. They also collect all the information and than just disappeared.

I tried second time. Same advices with final conclusion that something happened at raid level and system just cannot re-assemble it.

That's it. I tried reset/rebot with and without drives. No progress at all. Device still claims that somebody replaced drive with drive from another system.

I noticed one thing - device under firmware 1.11.3726 is trying to prepare storage volume all the time, but fails - this can be see by looking at Event log - there are multiple entries about that once device is powered on. I tried to replace faulty drive ( i don't know if it is faulty, but system believes it is) with brand new. System shows for the first time that new drive is good, while other drives marked as "from another system", but in few minutes, after am attempt to rebuild (reassemble) RAID array device also mark this drive as "from another system".

What do you have in your system?

BTW, if you find a way to restore your data - please let me know - because I'm still trying to get mine data back.

• 14. Re: SS4200-E all 4 Drives failed at the same time?
                                    worthmining

My 4 1.5 TB seagate drives all failed at the same time too.  I have it in "Parity" mode (RAID 5 I guess). I purchased the SS4200E from newegg 3 month ago, never had a problem until I accidentally pull the power plug from the wall, it boot up with amber flash light reporting all disks faulted.

After reading this thread I went to reset the box (I did authorize the orverwrite disk in the dashboard before I found this thread,hope it won't damage the data), now the box came up with all drives in green showing "degraded", also a message: "Data will be unavailable unitl the file system has been prepared. The file system preparation is 31% complet", looks like the raid is rebuilding.  Will this wipe out all my existing data?  Or am I going to loss some.

Where is Intel support staff on this board?  Is this supposed to be an Intel support board?

1 2 Previous Next