4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 25, 2013 10:51 AM by Diego_Intel

NUC DC3217BY & high resolution displays.

MarkPan

How can I connect my Dual-DVI (only) 2580*1600 display instead of there are only 2 HDMI full-HD ports on NUC?

Is there some use of Thunderbolt or something else? If it is - please tell how.
      Thank you in advance.

• 1. Re: NUC DC3217BY & high resolution displays.
          Wolfi

Hi MarkPan,

according to the Technical product specification sheet ( http://downloadmirror.intel.com/21958/eng/D33217CK_TechProdSpec04.pdf ) your DC3217BY does only support a maximum resolution of 1920x1200:

See page 23:

1.6.1.3 High Definition Multimedia Interface* (HDMI*)

[...]

The maximum supported resolution is 1920 x 1200 (WUXGA).

Connecting a Display which supports higher resolutions than 1920x1200 via HDMI is possible, but you can't display more than the maximum resolution of 1920x1200 on that screen according to the Technical product specification sheet.

Page 25 of the Technical product specification sheet:

1.9.1 Thunderbolt™ Technology Interface

[...]

The Thunderbolt controller connects a PC and other devices, transmitting and receiving information for both PCI Express and DisplayPort* protocols.

According to that you might be able to connect a DisplayPort-enabled screen to your NUC, but the maximum resolution of that configuration is not stated in the Technical product specification sheet.

What screen model do you want to connect to your NUC?

• 2. Re: NUC DC3217BY & high resolution displays.
            Linflas

http://www.amazon.com/HDMI-Adapter-Plated-Connector-Female/dp/B000FUVNX8/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1382624017&sr=8-4&keywords=dvi+to+hdmi+adapter

Do not have any of those monitors, but I have used the adaptors in the past for dvi/hdmi, I am not sure if dual link displays split the load for 1/2 the pixels on each connection, or switch load between each mhz of refresh.  If 1/2 load this might work, if the other and your mini pc does not go above 19x12, not sure what to do.

• 3. Re: NUC DC3217BY & high resolution displays.
              nnellans

I have the same NUC model.  I have a monitor that does 2560 x 1440 resolution.  I connect my NUC's ThunderBolt port to my monitor's DisplayPort connection.  Doing it this way, I can achieve the full 2560 x 1440 resolution.

However, using a DisplayPort to Dual-Link-DVI cable to connect to your monitor ... I don't know what will happen.

• 4. Re: NUC DC3217BY & high resolution displays.
                Diego_Intel

Thunderbolt would work as a mini-Display port which should support in theory 2560x1600; however in this system the maximum resolution that has been tested and certified is 1920x1200 as specified in the technical product specification (TPS) for HDMI.

Now, the usage of adapters may prevent this from working properly, as you may know, adapters may or may not work, this will completely depend on the adapter or converter itself, hence you can use them under your own discretion.