2 Replies Latest reply on Sep 11, 2012 8:50 PM by c-cicle

Dell poweredge sc420 mainboard/processor

rbockman

I've been using the sc420 as a desktop for some years, it is all I require for now. I would like to upgrade the processor with a Pentium 4 670 3.8mhz, but this processor is 64bit and 2mg. The chipset model is e7221 according to Dell, the motherboard is model 0x3468, the present processor is a P4 2.8mhz, 32bit, 1mg. How can I find out if it will work? Thanks, Ron

• 1. Re: Dell poweredge sc420 mainboard/processor
          herbert_intel

Intel Motherboards with the same chipset work fine with that processor http://www.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/sb/cs-012690.htm

BUT... since this is an OEM system it may well be locked down not to use a particular series of processors. I tried to upgrade a dell workstation once with a faster processor only to find that the system booted fine, i could enter the BIOS and all  but showed a nice pretty message saying: "Using this processor is not a supported configuration" and didn't let me boot into windows or linux or whatever.

OJ

• 2. Re: Dell poweredge sc420 mainboard/processor
            c-cicle

That list of compatible Pentium 4 processors for the Intel® Entry Server Board SE7221BK1-E is not complete, ASSUMING the Dell version of the E7221 board indicates what would work in the Intel board.

I am using a 561 series cpu - 1MB cache and Intel 64 capable on a Dell Poweredge 800 with the same E7221 chipset.  That list specifies required Bios updates for the Intel board to use a 6-series cpu.

To add to that Intel list - 521, 531, 541, 551, 561, 571.

The Cedar Mill series 631 641 651 661 cpus prohibit ECC memory - see ark.intel.com Memory Specifications headings.