11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 14, 2010 1:42 PM by FLaureys

PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board

dcvanduyn

Hi,

Can someone tell me if it possible to utilize a (SSI compliant) power supply without a 5 pin "Power Supply Signal Connector" connector (e.g. Corsair HX850) i.c.w. a S5520SC WS board. If this is indeed the case, would there be any "negative" consequences.

Thanks

- Dave

• 1. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
          herbert_intel

It will work fine. This is not a power connector but rather a data connect from the PSU to the IPMI compliant board management controller to gather information such as temperature, consumption, redundancy status etc. It is also used by this motherboard S5520SC to identify which Intel Chassis its connected to so that the SDR update for the board can configure the fans properly. Without this connector, the SDR update will say : "cant detect chassis, please choose which chassis you are using from the list below" or whatever which is really what you want since you're not using an intel chassis.

OJ

• 2. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
            herbert_intel

just as a side note, does this psu provide the 2 x 8pin 12 v CPU power connectors. Most power supplies only provide one and you'll probably need an adapter of some sort to connect to the other one.

OJ

• 3. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
              dcvanduyn

Hi OJ,

Thank you very much for your reply.

Regarding your side note: the Corsair HX850 does not, however, the HX1000 has two 8 pin CPU connectors. As have many other "high-end" consumer PSUs, however I have not come across one with a PMBus connector, sadly.

Do you also happen to know, whether regardless of the chassis you choose, the S5520SC WS board will actively regulate the chassis PWM fans depending on the thermal load.

From the Intel documentation I get the impression that unless the board unambiguously detects an Intel chassis, the FANs will always run at full speed, which seems a bit strange.

Thxs

-Dave

• 4. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
                herbert_intel

here's how it works.

Since this is really a server board modified to run into as a workstaion board (the server equivalent is the S5520HC which doesn't have pciexpress x16) it includes all the goodies that comes from servers, one of them is the good server manageability.

The fan monitoring (as well as other sensors such as temperatures, voltages, memory and processor presence detected sensors, and a whole lot of other aroun 110 different sensors) is not done by the bios, it is done via a dedicated component called the BMC (baseboard management controller). The BMC is the one tha makes the decisions whether to speed up a fan or whatever. the only think that has to take place is that the BMC must be programmed with instructions (in addition to these, the bmc has its own software which is kinda like the 'bios' of the BMC). these instructions are the SDR (sensor data records). you can download this at the board's support site (it comes in a package, board BIOS, bmc and sdr updates).

When you run the FRUSDR update it will first ask you if you want to update both the FRU and SDr or just either independently. choose just the SDR, fru is not important. it will try to detect what chassis you have based on the power supply managemet cable, since you don't have it it will then ask you what chassis you have from a list, it will list lots of intel chassis and the last option will say 'Other'. choose that one. it wil then ask you which fans you have connected to the system and some other questions. It is important that you say yes to whichever fan you have connected. for example if you have a pwm (4pin) fan connect to header Fan 1, then say yes you have fan one. if you don't have fan 2 connected say no to fan 2. if you say yes to fan 2 without any fan the board will monitor that sensor and, since you don't have a fan connected, it will assume that the fan is broken since its not detecting the fan and will speed up all other fans to compensate.

You just have to make sure the board is programmed to monitor the correct sensors and then the fan regulation will work fine.

OJ

• 5. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
                  dcvanduyn

Hi Oj,

Do you know whether the Intel 1000W or 670W PSUs that come with the S5650WS and S5600BASE server cases are PMBus compliant (do not have the 5 pin PMBus connector). I believe PMBus compliance is only the case for the redundant PSUs from Intel. If this is the case, I am wondering how the MB can detect the chasis.

Thxs

- Dave

• 6. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
                    herbert_intel

Both chassis power supplies have the connector.

OJ

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    • 7. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
                      dcvanduyn

Hi OJ,

Thanks for your help, much appreciated.

Perhaps a stupid question, but does that also mean these PSUs implement the PMBus protocol. In the Intel docs I could only find the redundant PSUs to be explicitly mentioned as PMBus compliant.

Another question, is anything known about the noise and efficiency specs of the Intel 1000W PSU in the SC5650WS case (type FXX1000WPSU). I could not find any info about this.

Thxs

Dave

• 8. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
                        herbert_intel

i would say that they do implement the pmbus protocol but with some limited functions (no redundancy for example).

about the efficiency, my guess is that only intel support would be able to answer that because i couldn't find any information either.

OJ

• 9. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
                          herbert_intel

nah... no need to contact support. the information is in the technical specs.

http://download.intel.com/support/motherboards/server/chassis/sc5650/sb/e39531_002_sc5650_tps_rev_1_0.pdf#page=92

OJ

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                          • 10. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
                            dcvanduyn

Found it, you have been a great help. Thxs a lot.

Rgds

Dave

• 11. Re: PSU without 5 pin Power Supply Connector icw S5520SC WS board
                              FLaureys

I have a workstation mobo intel s5520sc with psu corsair HX750. All power supply connectors (also processor1 and processor2) are connected. The 5-pin power signal connector is not connected, the psu don't have one. The mobo will not startup. What could happen? Are there any modifications necessary? I readed the mobo will work with the corsair HX850 (equivalent on HX750). The intrusion connector is intended to startup? Someone an idea, please??

Thanks in advence,

FLaureys