Wireless
Participate in insightful discussions regarding issues related to Intel® Wireless Adapters and technologies
7368 Discussions

WiFi Authentication issues/failed after Standby/Hibernate after Upgrading to Windows 8.1 with Intel 4965AGN on Dell XPS M1330 with Fritz!Box 7330

SIrge
Beginner

Before upgrading from Windows 8 to 8.1, everything was working fine on my computer. After upgrading to 8.1 yesterday, it happens, that my Computer does not re-connect to my WiFi after StandBy/Hibernate. I have to disable/enable the Adapter to connect to the WiFi again.

My Router reports that the "Autentication failed" for my adapter's MAC-Address. I have a Fritz!Box 7330 with latest Firmware. The error message is "WLAN-Anmeldung ist gescheitert: Autorisierung fehlgeschlagen".

The Network Adapter is a Intel® Wireless WiFi Link 4965AGN in a Dell XPS M1330.

I went through numerous threads on the forums reporting similar issues with Intel WiFi Adapters, but none of the suggestions fixed my Problem.

I posted the links here: http://how-i-fixed-it.blogspot.de/2013/10/wifi-authentication-issuesfailed-after.html http://how-i-fixed-it.blogspot.de/2013/10/wifi-authentication-issuesfailed-after.html

The Driver Version displayed for the Adapter is 13.3.0.137, dated 15.08.2010 by Microsoft.

Anybody else having similar issues after upgrading from 8 to 8.1? Any ideas, what else to try or how to fix it?

Stephan

0 Kudos
7 Replies
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Stephan, I would suggest contacting Microsoft* for driver support since this is a legacy product and we only have drivers available for older operating systems.

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-034561.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Intel� Wireless Products and Microsoft Windows 8.1*

http://www.intel.com/support/wireless/wlan/sb/CS-031641.htm Intel� Wi-Fi Products; Which operating systems are supported by Intel� Wireless Products?

0 Kudos
pevan2
Novice

Nice legacy excuse there.

Perhaps if you didn't build such a good wireless device, you wouldn't have to support it so long.

The 4965 has been one of my least painless wireless devices and it has provided years of problem free connectivity in this Thinkpad x61. It wasn't broken until I upgraded to 8.1

May I suggest you take a leaf from SONY's laptop collection and design stuff to die horribly 3 days after the warranty. Then you would have been able to abandon (sorry, relegate to steerage/ discontinue) support for them years ago.

I too have exactly the same problem with it not connecting after standby. Resetting the adaptor works, but your PORSET tools just sit there trying to connect and failing.

0 Kudos
KT_nn
Beginner

Hi

I experienced the same problem. I have the Intel(R) Centrino(R) Wireless-N 1000 with latest driver update (16.1.1 e64)

Only tried this once, but i found out that if i put the computer in flightmode by pressing the wireless on/off button on my computer before putting it in hibernation mode, it logged on the wi-fi again without problem after waking it up from hibernation and presseing wireless on/off button on my computer again.

Best regards

kartoenn

0 Kudos
Jose_H_Intel1
Employee

Is your operating system Windows* 8.1 too? Please note that we do not have a Windows* 8.1 driver for the Intel® Centrino Wireless-N 1000 at this time. Still, you can see if disabling the power management for the wireless adapter helps; the option is found in Device Manager, right click wireless adapter and choose Properties, disable "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" in the Power Management tab.

0 Kudos
CCole6
Beginner

I submit that I may have found a solution.

I had the exact same problem. Updated to Windows 8.1 on an old gateway p-6831FX laptop. Have the same Intel WiFi 4965agn card. When opening my laptop after it being asleep/hibernating, my wifi would have trouble authenticating (asterisk over wifi strength symbol). I went to device manager, right click on 4965 wifi card, chose properties, then power management tab, then de-selected "let windows turn this off to save power."

It has been working fine since then.

I am also running the intel proset wireless wifi software.

Good luck.

PAnto5
Beginner

Hi.

Thank you buckaxe for your post, I had the exact same problem (Amilo PRO v3205) and this fixed it. Now I am trying to understand what kind of impact this might have on the battery when the computer is in standby.

Cheers to everybody

0 Kudos
SPrak8
Beginner

Thank you for this solution. It solved the issues I was experiencing on a HP Pavilion DV6500 range (DV6522TX) computer after updating to Windows 8.1 and after upgrading to Windows 10. At random start ups it the wireless tray would say 'could not connect to network' and got stuck on authenticating networks it had previously connected to fine. The problem was guarunteed to occur when waking up from sleep. I had tried other power management options in the Power Options menu but these didn't help, nor did changing Wireless N connectivity in the driver control panel. Now it connects every time

0 Kudos