1 2 Previous Next 19 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 7:22 PM by el-ricardo

DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown

el-ricardo

Hi,

I'm trying to diagnose a problem and wondering if anyone else has come across the same thing.  I'm using an Intel DX58SO motherboard with one of the new i7-975 processors.  I'm using four Western Digital WD20EADS 2TB drives off SATA port 0-3 and created a RAID5 volume, port 5 has a BD-ROM attached to it.  It seems when I shut the machine down, instead of doing a reboot one of the drives comes up as degraded and the RAID5 volume is rebuilt (slowly).  I've left the smaller volume (boot) and deleted the data volume to try and diagnose this a bit quicker since the rebuilds take a considerable amount of time (out of interest the format of this data volume at 5.3TB takes about five days).  I'm using the latest BIOS available off the Intel site.

Has anyone come up against this before?  Is it possible these drives are incompatible with the Storage Manager?  Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks.

• 1. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown

I seem to be having a similiar problem like yours. I have two 250GB drives in a RAID 1 and 3 500 GB drives in a RAID 5 configuration. If the machine is shut down and then restarted it starts back in a rebuild state. I hope someone answers your question and maybe mine too.

• 2. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
            el-ricardo

This is what I have done.  I've purchased another motherboard/processor/memory and run the same configuration with no issues.  The board I was having the problems with I have put four 1TB Seagate drives off it and so far it has not exhibited the same issues.  I've rebooted the new config several times and have not been able to reproduce the problem.

I know that probably isn't useful to you but try the latest BIOS and see what happens.  Interestingly enough IDCC no longer functions but I'm wondering if this is more to do with Vista SP2 or the latest BIOS but I have uninstalled SP2 and still the XTU service refuses to start.

• 3. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
              el-ricardo

Unfortunately the same problem is now happening on the second system.  I have swapped out the hard drive that was "supposedly" faulty and then another one fails, sometimes without a reboot.  I'm wondering if there is an incompatibility with the 2TB drives.

Someone else must be using something similar?  Anyone else any comments?

• 4. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                el-ricardo

I've been in contact with Intel support, Paul has been very helpful.

When I first put the system together I used an online power calculator, with the components I've used it came to around 300W so I bought a 600W power supply thinking this would be sufficient.  Intel has informed me that they believe with the four 2TB drives I should be using a 850W power supply which surprised me but I've gone out and put a 850W power supply into the unit.  So far for the past day it has been stable and the RAID set has not degraded with many reboots and cold starts.  I'll keep an eye on it over the next few days and let you know if this is indeed what has fixed my original problem.

IDCC is still not starting up on a fresh Vista x64 SP2 build.

• 5. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                  el-ricardo

Have done a quite a few restarts while I built a fresh Vista x64 with SP2 build and unfortunately the larger power supply has not rectified the problem, one of the reboots the RAID array is set as degraded and then rebuilds once the OS is loaded, same problem unfortunately.

• 6. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                    defecta

Hi Guys,

I too am having a similar problem. The really frustrating this here is its a standard system build that we do with the exception of the RAID1 (normally RAID0) and the BD-ROM (normally DVD writer). Here are the specs.

Intel Core i7 920 (2.66Ghz/ 8MB/ 4.8GT QPI/ Quad Core)

Intel DX58SO X58/ATX/DDR3/LGA1366/QPI/3xPCIex x16/GIGA LAN/RAID/FOR i7/ Retail Box

Corsair TR3X6G1333C9 6GB (3x XMS3 2GB) PC-10600 (1333MHz) XMP DDR3 RAM, 32x240-pin DIMMs, Triple Kit, Non ECC Unbuffered, 9-9-9-24

2 x HIS HIS-HD4650-E2-V2 ATI HD4650 PCI-E 2.0 512MB 128-bit GDDR2,  600/800MHz,  Dual Link DVI,  HDCP,  HDTV,  Fan

RAID1 with 2 x Samsung HD103UJ 1TB HDD - 32MB Cache - 1,000GB SATA II 7200rpm

Samsung HD103UJ 1TB HDD - 32MB Cache - 1,000GB SATA II 7200rpm

Pioneer BDC-S02 Blu Ray Combo Drive, Blu Ray Reader & DVDRW, Black

Corsair CMPSU-620HX 620W ATX Power Supply, 120mm fan, Dual PCI-E Graphics Card Connector, 8 SATA Connectors, Universal AC input 90~264V

Microsoft Windows Vista Home Premium 64bit DVD OEM with Service Pack 2

I have already replaced the motherboard and the HDDs as it has already been causeing too much of a delay to my customer but the problem has persisted. I have been getting consistent rebuilds when waking the system from sleep. After a bit of research I think I have found the cause.

I have left the Pioneer drive disconnected over night and it has not had the same issue since. Use of BD-ROMs is something in common with another poster in this thread. Its not conclusive yet as I have only just observed it but if other people could also try this potential fix I would appreciate the feedback.

Cheers.

• 7. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                      el-ricardo

Thanks defecta for taking the time to post this.  I am indeed using a Pioneer BDC-S02 running 1.07 of the firmware so will try disconnecting the drive and see what happens.  I have had the machine work for two day's before forcing a rebuild so finger's crossed it's as simple as the BD-ROM causing it.

I have also logged a call with Intel support so will inform them of the outcome.

• 8. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                        defecta

See this link for what prompted me to try disconnecting the BD-ROM.

http://www.intel.com/support/chipsets/imsm/sb/CS-025783.htm

I realise its referring to an older issue that should no longer be present but I thought it was worth a shot.

I was also seeing some errors in the windows logs that pointed the SATA port that my BD-ROM was connected to.

A change was made by Microsoft* in the Windows Vista setup process. The result of this change is that the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager LPM registry settings that were intended for mobile installations are added for desktop installations as well. These LPM registry settings are added for both the Intel® Matrix Storage Manager RAID driver on the Windows Vista installation disk, as well as for any drivers added during the installation process.

Various desktop Serial ATA devices such as hard drives and CD/DVD drives have been reported that do not comply with the Serial ATA LPM device specification and display erratic behavior when LPM is enabled.

Because the setup change means that LPM is enabled by default for all Windows Vista platforms, using a device that does not completely follow the specification may result in one of the listed issues.

A list of these devices is not available at this time.

I really hope this works because it taken me too long to diagnose and solve...

• 9. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                          el-ricardo

I do have a second system running RAID0 with two Seagate 1TB drives and a BDC-S02BK which doesn't exhibit the same symptons.  I was hoping the newer 2TB WD drives was what was causing the problem but I'll rebuild the machine tonight with a RAID5 array and leave the BDC-S02BK disconnected after being built and see how it behaves.

I agree it's taken a long time to diagnose but Intel are being very helpful and it's not the easiest of problems to fault find unfortunately.

• 10. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                            el-ricardo

Hi defecta,

I rebuilt the machine with a RAID5 array again yesterday, after the OS was built with the latest drivers and all MS updates I left it copying large amounts of data to the large partition but left the Pioneer BDC-S02BK disconnected.  Unfortunately overnight the array degraded and marked a drive bad so unfortunately in my case this hasn't solved the issue.  I now have a fresh event log showing the drive timeout's that I will forward to the technician at Intel.  Personally I think the new WD drives is what causes the issue for me as I do not get the same issue with 1TB Seagates.

• 11. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                              defecta

Late yesterday I realised that I have another system almost identical to the first with the exception of the video cards that I hadnt observed the same issue with as yet.

I put that on the bench along with the original and left them both running 3DMark06 (3DMark06 allows up to 99 passes, unlike Vantage) overnight as i did in the past.

The first system had the BD-ROM disconnected. The second, which I had not observed the fault on while it was on the bench previously, was as per normal with the BD-ROM connected.

Coming into work this morning the first system was showing the 3Dmark score and the RAID was intact! HOORAY!

The second system had recovered from a BSOD as indicated by the error message on the screen and the usual windows that showup on startup and low and behold, the RAID was broken and 15% of the way through a rebuild.

It doesnt get any more conclusive than that. Im going to change to Gigabyte motherboard that has second SATA controller that I can use to isolate the BD-ROM if the customer is happy with that option.

How did you go el-ricardo?

• 12. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                                el-ricardo

As you can see from my reply above this wasn't the case for my system, disconnecting the BD-ROM made no difference to the array degrading and I still suspect it's the WD drives.  I've passed on further information to the Intel technician so will await his reply.

PS By the way, overnight isn't always the case, I've had the system stable for two day's before the problem occurred so I would be wary of that .

• 13. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                                  defecta

el-ricardo wrote:

Hi defecta,

I rebuilt the machine with a RAID5 array again yesterday, after the OS was built with the latest drivers and all MS updates I left it copying large amounts of data to the large partition but left the Pioneer BDC-S02BK disconnected.  Unfortunately overnight the array degraded and marked a drive bad so unfortunately in my case this hasn't solved the issue.  I now have a fresh event log showing the drive timeout's that I will forward to the technician at Intel.  Personally I think the new WD drives is what causes the issue for me as I do not get the same issue with 1TB Seagates.

hmm, thats interesting. OK so my results may not be that conclusive after all. Im going to keep these 2 systems on the bench today and see what happens. I might try a different brand drive.

• 14. Re: DX58SO Using WD20EADS Degrades RAID Volume Upon Shutdown
                                    el-ricardo

Intel have come back and agreed with Western Digital that the WD20EADS drives should not be used in a RAID array, I have ordered the enterprise version of the drives but until they arrive there isn't a great deal I can do, please refer to the following article.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=1397&p_created=1131638613&p_sid=VjgPHrDj&p_accessibility=0&p_redirect=&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTAsMTAmcF9wcm9kcz0yMjcmcF9jYXRzPTE4NiZwX3B2PTEuMjI3JnBfY3Y9MS4xODYmcF9zZWFyY2hfdHlwZT1hbnN3ZXJzLnNlYXJjaF9ubCZwX3BhZ2U9MSZwX3NlYXJjaF90ZXh0PURlc2t0b3AgZWRpdGlvbg!!&p_li=&p_topview=1

I know that doesn't really help in the current situation but I believe it does explain why I am specifically having problems with this model of HDD.

1 2 Previous Next