12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 4, 2014 1:42 AM by ISiemers

Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active

chris_ti_an

Hi,

I have a problem with my DH87RL. It is running under Ubuntu 13.04 and is continuously rebooting if the WOL function is turned on in the bios settings. See also my and other posts in Re: Intel DH87RL continuously rebooting with 16 GB Memory

Please help,

Christian

• 1. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
          sylvia_intel

Christian, I need to inform you that Ubuntu or any other Linux flavors are not operating systems that we support. However would you please provide me the model number of the following devices?

Processor:

Memory

Bios version:

• 2. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
            chris_ti_an

Hi Sylvia,

Processor: i5-4570

Memory: 2 x 4 GByte Kingston ValueRAM (DDR3-1600/PC3-12800)

Bios version: RLH8710H.86A.0317.2013.0426.1724

Regards,

Christian

• 3. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
              sylvia_intel

Christian if you disable or turn off the Wake on LAN function on BIOS (WOL), are you able to use the system without problems?

Can try using another type of memory or only one stick of memory on DIMM #1? Please let me know the results.

• 4. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
                breezyrhino

Hi Sylvia,

I used the same instructions/components as Christian to build my PC (c't 19/13). In contrast to Christian I use:

Memory: 2 x 2 GByte Kingston ValueRAM (DDR3-1600/PC3-12800)

Bios version:

• original: RLH8710H.86A.0320
                • current: RLH8710H.86A.0322

1. I built the PC using BIOS v0320. With this version I was able to use the system without problems however with BIOS-activated WOL the system rebooted with every power off.
                2. After updating the BIOS to v0322 the problem still occured.
                3. After only using one stick of memory on DIMM #1 as you recommended the reboots did not occur any more
                4. After inserting the second stick of memory on DIMM #2 the reboots still did not occur!
                5. I tested some wake ups via magic packets
                6. Unfortunately the reboots have occured again after some tests. So I only can really use the system without WOL

Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Rhino

• 5. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
                  sylvia_intel

Rhino, are you able to boot using all sticks of memory but without WOL? Does the system continue rebooting?

Please let me in order to share that information with the engineering team.

Here is an article about the known issue  when using low-profile memory

Desktop Boards — System memory information

• 6. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
                    breezyrhino

Hi Sylvia,

Booting with all sticks of memory and without activated WOL my system never rebooted after power off.

I am using the memory sticks of Kingston ValueRAM DIMM 2 GB DDR3-1600 (KVR16N11/2).

After all the procedure described in my previous post improved the situation much. Since I updated the BIOS and removed/inserted the memory stick on DIMM #2 I had only two unwanted reboots after power off. I'm currently not able to provoke this behaviour anymore.

I suspect the removal/insertion of the stick solved the problem (perhaps in combination with the updated BIOS).

Thank you for your support.

Regards,

Rhino

• 7. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
                      sylvia_intel

Well Rhino, that is good to know. Thanks for sharing that with us.

• 8. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
                        chris_ti_an

Hi Silvia,

for me the Problem is not solved/answered. If WOL is turned of, the unwanted reboot does not occur - that is true. But if you want to use WOL you can not turn it off! It occurs with all different memory configurations I can test with my two 4 GB Kingston memory boards. I don't have others to test. In the meantime I update to the BIOS version 320 - no improvement of the situation. I also had the chance to start an Windows installation from a stick. Since I do not have a licence key, I could only choose shutdown in the installation menu: No reboot occurred. So I think it is a problem of the linux kernel, maybe in combination with some memory types and/or bios code... When I want to change the WOL settings with ethtool, it tells me, that pumbg are possible options. With BIOS version 317 I could try to change it from g to another letter, but it remained at the setting g. Now with BIOS version 320 I can change it to the other options (e.g. pum or b) but after reboot I have the magic packet option (g) set again.

Don't you have some experts working on the linux kernel?

Regards,

Christian

• 9. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
                          chris_ti_an

In the meanwhile I updated to bios version 322 - problem remains - and I checked with different memory: SK hynix 2GB 1Rx8 PC3 12800U (no low profile ram) - problem still remains.

• 10. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
                            tvs

Hi all,

I can confirm the problem as described by Cristian. Yesterday, I updated the UEFI from version 0322 to 0323, but the problem persists. For now it is not possible to use WOL in combination with Linux on this board. The configuration details: Linux 3.8.0-19-generic (Linux Mint 15), DH87RL revision 401, Firmware 0323, a kit of two Kingston KVR16N11S8K2/8 (2 x 4GB)

The memory I used is to the least detail on Intels compatibility list for this board.

To trigger the problem:

1. Enable WOL in UEFI or just load the defaults with F9, save.
                            2. With the OS booted up normally, let the system enter suspend mode (S3).
                            3. Wake up the system, the OS reappears normally.
                            4. Shut down normally.

The computer will then power off first--all LED on the case are off. Three seconds later it will power on, even without any attached network cable.

I understand that Linux is not officially supported for the DH87RL. Intel is known as one of the most supportive companies towards open source, and this board gained huge popularity in Germany through the c't magazine. By delivering support over the top of official terms and product recommendations, you will reach a most loyal community of IT experts and decision makers. Do the math with sales numbers for DH87RL in Germay, media-invoked by c't magazine. So, Thank you very much, Sylvia and Intel forum staff!

If that would be of any help, I can check with newer Linux kernel versions, Windows 7 or 8.1. I have access to different memory modules (mostly Kingston), as well.

@ Sylvia_intel: If my testing could help you in any way, please let me know!

• 11. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
                              ISiemers

Hi all,

unfortunately, I have the same problem (rebooting with WoL on) with

- DH87RL

- 4GB Kingston ValueRAM PC3-12800 CL11 (half height) (KVR16N11S8/4 as in C't magazine 2/2014)

- Intel Bios version 323

- core i3-4130

- Ubuntu 12.04 LTS (64-bit) (I am aware -> not supported)

Before I look for other RAM, are there any RAMs recommended (4GB) which probably will work? Or should I wait for BIOS update?

Thanks in advance!

• 12. Re: Intel DH87RL with Ubuntu is continuously rebooting when WOL is active
                                ISiemers

bad news - good news:

I changed RAM to KVR16N11S8H/4 (full height), however this did not solve the problem.

Then, I stepwise upgraded from Ubuntu 12.04 LTS to 13.10 and voila!  rebooting problem disappeared!

Workaround in the meantime (before upgrade): I applied the function 'rtcwake' which was surprisingly fine also with 12.04 LTS (with WoL on).