Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20598 Discussions

Intel Mobile 4 Series Express Chipset Screen Brightness On XP

idata
Employee

HI, i have an Acer-Emachines laptop.. and i have a problem with the screen brightness hotkey/shortcut

I cannot adjust the screen brightness through this setting (Fn+Left Arrow Key or Fn+Right Arrow Key).

But I can adjust my screen brightness from Boot to OS Loading.. i have tried to uninstall the Grpahics driver mobile intel 4 series and to my surprise.. i was now able to adjust the screen brighness. i downloaded the latest igraphic driver form intel and yet my problem has returned again. By the way, i'm using a dual boot OS configuration of Windows XP Pro SP3 and Vista Ultimate SP1.. i am able to adjust the screen brightness on my other OS configuartion, Windows Vista with the supplied driver of mobile intel 4. my problem is only on xp

The specs of my laptop are:

Emachines D725 (EMD725)

Intel Pentium Dual Core T4200 @ 2.00Ghz

2 GB or DDR2 800Mhz

160Gb Hitachi Hard Drive

Mobile Intel 4 Series Chipset 256 Mb of Shared Ram

Windows XP Professional Service Pack 3

Windows Vista Ultimate Service Pack 1

this really is a big problem for me since my eyes get stressed so easily by the high brightness of my LCD(i have eye defects)

though yes this laptop is working great except for this simple problem.

Thank you for your help.. contact me if you need more information.

all help appreciated.

Good day

0 Kudos
6 Replies
idata
Employee

i have emd725-421g16mn..i have the same problem when using windows xp sp3, but before i install the driver, i can still adjust the brightness screen, after i install the graphic driver it can`t. now i`m using windows vista ultimate sp1, i an adjust the brightness, and don`t have any problem. i think maybe the motherboard bios has problem with windows xp driver.

idata
Employee

yeah i think the driver for xp has a conflict.. i wish someone would post a solution. preferably a new updated driver with this problem fixed

am jus glad that i'm not the only one with the same problem.

Thank you

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

i suggest you tu use windows vista, or may be we can wait for windows 7.

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

dear jamapee.. i had the same problem with you...

you must update bios EMD725 with the last bios

you can download it from ftp://esupport:vImvF88@ftp.gateway.com/pub/hardware_support/drivers/notebook/D525_D725/BIOS_v1.08_DOS_WinX86X64.zip

just extract the files and execute bios.bat.

REMEMBER!! plug your ac cable and your baterai.

good luck

regard

eko

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

Thank you very much getslow

Pardon for my long reply. Got struck by two recent typhoons here in the Philippines.

Anyways, that solution fixed the problem, Downloaded the BIOS update, ran it, and I can now change display brightness on Windows XP SP3.

Again, thank you very much!

0 Kudos
idata
Employee

I encounted the same issue for my HP Pavilion DM3 notebook with integrated intel mobile 4 series experess chipset on WINXP. BIOS is Insyde 142E.

0 Kudos