Graphics
Intel® graphics drivers and software, compatibility, troubleshooting, performance, and optimization
20456 Discussions

Windows 8.1 Drivers for Intel HD Graphics 4000

CDe_T
Novice

Hello,

I just upgraded to Windows 8.1 today and I'm running into some issues. When I run GTA 4 (haven't tested any other games to be frank) - which ran fine before the update - it crashes after a while with a BSOD. The error message being:

DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)

This query in Google has led me to the information that the HD Graphics driver is crashing. The next thing I did was installhttps://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?lang=eng&DwnldID=23106 the latest HD Graphics drivers. This has not yet fixed the issue.

What I just noticed while writing this is that Hardware Info 64 does not recognize my Nvidia GPU. This could mean that GTA 4 is running on the HD Graphics GPU? So at this moment I'm reinstalling my Nvidia drivers.

So I reinstalled (clean install) the Nvidia drivers. I ran GTA4 which ran for a little while longer, but still throws a BSOD after a while.

In any case, this should ne be happening, right?

System:

Asus n56vz (notebook)

CPU: Intel Core i7-3615QE (including Intel HD Graphics 4000 (Ivy Bridge GT2))

GPU: GeFore GTX 650M

Chipset: Intel HM76 (Panther Point)

Memory: 8192 MB DDR3

129 Replies
DArce
Valued Contributor III

The Intel® HD Graphics driver that you are using is not compatible with Microsoft* Windows* 8.1

For a compatible driver you can use the driver that we have posted here:

https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&keyword=3316&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng Download Center

Furthermore, you should check that the nVidia* drivers that you are using are also validated for Microsoft* Windows* 8.1 as this could also be related to this issue. The fact that these drivers are able to be installed, does not mean that they will be stable. In addition, check for any updates or patches for the game you are having issues with in order to run it under this new platform.

0 Kudos
pgorb1
Beginner

I have the same situation, Just upgraded to win 8.1 and every since I keep getting the BSOD crash with "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)".

Followed the link and downloaded your update file, but got an error that my system did not met the minimum requirements. What the hell? I've got quad core I7 with HD4000 integrated . What bugs me most is that I don't even use that graphics card, there is no way to disable it while I use the discreet video card NVidia m650 graphics. The stupid Intel graphic driver just hangs in the background and keeps crashing my system.

0 Kudos
mdav
Beginner

I am having a similar issue. Try to upgrade to 8.1 and the screen goes black. Have to revert.

Tried downloading the 8.1 compatible driver (64 bit) and it says my system did not met the minimum requirements.... This is a beefy HP Envy 23.

This is a really nasty bug with the black screen and there is no solution for me since my new souped up, fast machine doesn't meet the requirements. Not good.

Please advise.

0 Kudos
CDe_T
Novice

One thing you could try is to install the drivers through device manager. Download the zip file instead of the .exe file. In device manager "update driver" and point it to the extracted zip file. This might work.

I've accidently wiped my install, and I'm back to Windows 8. I'm waiting to upgrade to 8.1 once more.

0 Kudos
pgorb1
Beginner

I tried this, downloaded the zip file (Win32_15335.zip) from the link https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&keyword=3316&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&keyword=3316&DownloadType=Drivers&lang=eng

but when I went to install it from device manager it just said "update determined that you already have the mot current driver installed. I think this is the main point, we all have the most current driver but the most current driver DOES NOT WORK with windows 8.1 and the Intel HD Graphics 4000.

Intel, please help us.

0 Kudos
CDe_T
Novice

I don't know if you have 32-bit version of Windows 8.1?

In any case, if you have 64-bit you should need https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23323&lang=eng this driver, and for the 32-bit you should need https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23324&lang=eng&OSVersion=Windows%208.1%2C%2032-bit*&DownloadType=Drivers this one (the one you have now).

0 Kudos
DArce
Valued Contributor III

Driver 15.33.5.64.3316 is fully compatible and functional using Intel® HD Graphics 4000 and win8.1.

For those having issues installing this driver, test uninstalling the previous drivers from Control Panel, programs and features and also check using the have disk installation instructions here:

http://www.intel.com/support/graphics/sb/CS-033916.htm Desktop graphics drivers | Have Disk Driver Install Steps For Microsoft Windows 8* & 8.1*

In addition, on systems that feature an additional video controller, you should check with your system manufacturer on what should be the proper steps and process to update the drivers, as the Intel(R) video controller may be disabled while during the driver install, which could throw that "does not meet the requirements" message. Also make sure that you have the right x32 or x64 driver as Christophe De Troyer pointed.

0 Kudos
pgorb1
Beginner

I re-downloaded the driver zip file for my 64 bit quad i7 processor with HD 4000 system ("Win64_15335.zip")

I went into device manager, selected the Intel graphics and told it to update the driver. When I pointed it at the zip file, it simply gave me a message that the most current driver was already installed.

I UNZIPPED the zip file and had the update point at the unzipped driver and only then did it applied the update. It then asked me to reboot and I did so.

Device manger shows the driver installed as:

Driver Date: 10/3/2013

Driver Version: 10.18.10.3316

I started a game, about 30 seconds into it I again get the blue screen of death with the error message "DRIVER_IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL (igdkmd64.sys)"

My non-Intel HD 4000 graphic card, my NVidia M630, just happened to updated its driver today to, so that is totally up to date and it is the igdkmd64.sys drive throwing the error.

This makes your statement "Driver 15.33.5.64.3316HD Graphics 4000 and win8.1." incorrect. I suspect your engineers did not test this driver on a wide enough spectrum of hardware, because it continues to fail.

SO what next? I suspect the Intel driver is crashing in a background process while the game uses my laptops NVidia M630 processor.

0 Kudos
rrex
Beginner

I uninstall previous driver, checking to remove it completely. After restart, and before l even manage to install provided 3316 ,l_get SYSTEM. Thread Exception -Not HANDLED (igdkmd64.sys) bsod

how about that ?

0 Kudos
mdav
Beginner

I tried to install the 64 bit version of this driver.

I get an error when trying to upgrade driver. It says my system did not met the minimum requirements.... This is a beefy HP Envy 23 - a few months old and the driver can't be used with a brand new machine? That's doesn't make much sense.

You say the driver is compatible, but my brand new beefy 64 bit machine with I7 processor and 12 gigs of ram does not meet the minimum requirements.

Do I not meet the requirements because I am not on 8.1 yet?

Because if so, then that is a major problem. Windows won't let me upgrade until I have an updated driver. And Intel won't let me upgrade until I have updated wondows.

Stuck.

What should I try now? Please help.

0 Kudos
pgorb1
Beginner

kanetrain333 , follow the instructions posted in this thread about downloading the zip file, unzipping it, then manually update your intel grahics adapter driver though device manager.

This may get you the latest driver installed, but it is my experience that it still doesn't solve the problem.

0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner

Same issue here with that driver on a custom build system. No matter what I do (changed bios setting 5/6 times, disabled my GTX Titan) I am either getting a failure to install via the Microsoft Update or a BSOD requiring a rollback to the previous good configuration for the file from the Intel site.

I have spend enough time on it right now and I will wait for the next release (hoping that it will be fixed).

0 Kudos
mdav
Beginner

I did this and it does not work.

0 Kudos
cm1
Beginner

hey kanetrain i have the same computer as you, hp envy 23, d150 with the hd graphics 4000. i was having the exact same problem with the black screen after install and reboot of 8.1. i don't know if you found the solution but here is what worked for me. i was finally able to install 8.1.

I downloaded "HD graphics Driver for Windows 7* and Windows 8* 64 bit version 15.31.17.64.3257 (9.18.10.3257)" as a zip file and extracted like a previous commenter suggested.

Then i went to device manager>display adapters>double clicked the intel 4000>update driver>browse my computer>let me pick from a list>have disk>browse. i chose win64_153117>graphics>kit55787.inf.

that updated my driver to 9.18.10.3257 which then enabled me to successfully install 8.1

hope this helps and thanks for the other replies that helped me.

0 Kudos
NBrow2
Beginner

I cannot install the WIndows 8.1 drivers or Windows Beta 8.1 drivers. I have tried many recommendations on this site. My BIOS is up to date, I have tried uninstalling and reinstalling. I have even pushed the graphics update from the manufacturer system updates and nothing works

0 Kudos
CDe_T
Novice

I've had the issue before on my desktop. Be sure you have the latest BIOS version installed on your systems. The chances are there is an update for Windows 8.1. Also, be sure to check your BIOS for settings about disabling the Intel HD Graphics card. There might be a settings to always use the NVidia/ATI card. If this is disabled it will not install indeed.

Also, don't forget to remove the old driver and reboot before installing the new one.

0 Kudos
LLess
Beginner

Ok, I have managed to fix the Install issue for my PC.

It seems that it was due to the Lucid Virtu software (I had the feature disabled in the BIOS but that wasn't enough).

I had updated the BIOS too just in case but it hadn't helped. I had tried to install the driver in safe mode and that had worked but it was still crashing after.

After removing the Lucid Virtu software I was able to update the driver via the device manager without problem and everything else just worked fine.

So good to go now here.

Thanks to Nic for posting the stuff about Lucid Virtu, I had completely forgotten that I had it installed.

Laurent

0 Kudos
AM_
Beginner

I am experiencing the same issue on my Toshiba Qosmio X875-Q7380

(Full specs here: http://support.toshiba.com/support/staticContentDetail?contentId=3493941 qosmio_X875-Q7380.pdf )

I have the latest BIOS, and the drivers for both my Intel HD Graphics 4000 and Nvidia GeForce GTX 670M were updated via Toshiba ServiceStation immediatly after the update, following the step-by-step instructions on how to upgrade to Windows 8.1 to a T.

I'm playing GuildWars 2 and never experienced any issues with the game before; since the Windows 8.1 update, my laptop crashes within a minute of launching the game: I get a BSOD with the exact same error message as the OP.

I upgraded to the 64-bit version of the driver linked in this thread, using the ZIP package and "Have disk" method; it didn't fix or improve anything and my laptop is still crashing when I launch the game.

0 Kudos
RBroi
Beginner

My issue: After "upgrading" to Windows 8.1 on my Samsung Series 9 NP900NX3-A05US, the Intel HD 4000 driver will no longer run the screen at 1,920 x 1,080. I'm stuck at 1,600 x 900.

What's more, iTunes crashes when I try to access the store. Switching to Microsoft's basic display driver solved that problem, at least, so there's no question it's an Intel issue.

FIX, PLEASE!

0 Kudos
pgorb1
Beginner

I still have not seen any solution for the bad intel driver crashing on window 8.1 systems.

But a warning to everyone having this issue - I had another crash a couple nights ago, but this time it must have been in a hard drive io while it crashed because it corrupted by boot up section and my laptop would not boot up to anything but a blank black screen with the backlight going off and on.

As many of you may have already found out, you can't revert from 8.1 back to 8. AND MS will not let you create a 8.1 recovery dish without an 8.1 product key ( your win 8 product key will not work and they don't give you a key to go with your 8.1 upgrade - so in essence Microsoft has pushed a non-revertible unlicensed upgrade on us) The fact that intel graphic drivers for the win 8.1 platform and the HD 4000 keep crashing your system.

There are a few things you can do to prepare you for a crash.

1) make a restore point every day or teo ( make one now if you haven't done so in a while, it only takes a few minutes)

2) make a recovery drive ( search on "recovery" and select the "create a recovery drive option ) which you can make on a usb flash drive ( it will reformat it though ) or make a cd/dvd

3) If you fail to boot then you could boot from your usb or cd/dvd recovery drive - You can also this: hold down shift-f8 while you power on to boot to your systems recovery partition which should have the same recovery information and utilities. Note that the a recovery drive made from a windows 8 system will not be fully compatible with 8.1 and many of the more useful options will look available but will fail

4) however you get to the recovery utilities you have several options. One of the recovery options is "automatic repair" which never worked for me,

5) but another is "restore a system restore point" and while that took some time, that recovered by laptop from booting into a blank black screen back into my normal intel-drive bug ridden system ( I am now afraid to play any games,,,,)

0 Kudos