12 Replies Latest reply on Mar 4, 2016 10:43 AM by EstebanC_Intel

No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8

cnicho

Hello,

I need to be able to receive email notifications from RST but the software doesn't enable you to define SMTP authentication information required by my email providers including Gmail.

I've just installed 12.8 on a new PC. I've also seen this has been mentioned over a year ago and acknowledged by Intel but still not in RST.

Will this ever be implemented?

Regards

• 1. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
          Diego_Intel

SMTP authentication is no supported by email notifications on Intel(R) Rapid Storage Technology and at the moment there is no information on plans to make this feature available in the next releases of this software.

• 3. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
            EstebanC_Intel

Hello All:

Officially this is not supported so far, the workaround provided can be attempted but we cannot assure it is going to work properly.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 4. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
              BillyDeVincentis

Hello EstebanC,

I am quite confused. It is of the utmost importance to be able to receive email notifications when a system is deployed with this software yet Intel does not provide a way for this to work. How can this be and how difficult could it be to add in authentication? At the company I work for, I have at least 25 systems deployed with IRST with most of them running raid 1 or raid 10 volumes. The employees are clueless as to whether or not their systems are okay, I have to depend on IRST notifications for warnings of imminent problems. With no smtp authentication built in, how do I get them?

• 5. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
                EstebanC_Intel

Hello, BillyDeVincentis:

I would like to know which are the specifications of these systems mentioned, depending on that we can provide you with possible solutions.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 6. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
                  BillyDeVincentis

at this particular company, all 25 workstations are Asus Mboards with Intel Z87 or Z97 chipsets. The majority of the machines are running ssds in raid 1 or raid 10. Some have single ssds. All are running windows 8.1 or 10. SMTP was removed in windows versions higher than 7. On our servers, there is no problem since all windows servers allow you to setup smtp. Intel should really add authentication.

• 7. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
                    EstebanC_Intel

Hello, BillyDeVincentis:

In order to get the email notifications enabled in your systems the requirements would be:

Having a Server CPU.

Having Intel(R) Rapid Storage Enterprise installed.

Internal Email server available with no authentication.

Because of the requirements above systems with the chipset Z87 or Z97 would not be able to use the Intel(R) Rapid Storage Enterprise, which is a requirement for the email notifications to be available.

If you require any further information, do not hesitate to contact us back.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 8. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
                      BillyDeVincentis

Hi EstebanC,

I'm sorry but that simply makes no sense whatsoever. What is the point of putting together a high end workstation for an executive at the company I work for, and not being able to receive the most important notification of an inevitable problem--- A Failed disk?

1- IRST Enterprise is not required for email notifications, both IRST and IRSTE support it.

2- Having a Server CPU does not necessarily mean that you will have a server OS nor does every server OS run on a server CPU. Please note the below system that is a server but requires IRST, not the enterprise version  ASUS TS300-E7/PS4

https://www.asus.com/us/Commercial-Servers-Workstations/TS300E7PS4/HelpDesk_Download/

3- An Internal email server available with no authentication. This is the part that simply is wrong on Intel's part. Only a Server OS will have this available by installation of IISManager 6 with smtp but that is not an option on Windows 8 or 10. What about all those desktop users or It Administrators that maintain hundreds of employee and executive workstations who would simply like a heads up when there is a problem?

This is why I used Advanced SMTP server for the longest time, a paid for add on solution but frankly I can no longer recommend the product since they do not have software activation reliable currently and licensed software often shows up as unlicensed. Hmailserver is a free reliable solution to the problem of IRST being an incomplete solution.

I strongly believe Intel should rethink their position on this matter because it really makes no sense.

• 9. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
                        EstebanC_Intel

Hello:

Let me further investigate into this.

I will be providing you with the outcome of my investigation.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 10. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
                          BillyDeVincentis

Thank you EstebanC,

Look, I realize that IRST is a product that came to be as the successor of Intel matrix storage manager which clearly was meant to be used only on servers. That having been the case, smtp has never been a problem on any server os. Those times have changed. IRST is now the default raid software on all new Intel motherboards. Raid 0, 1, 10 are all used quite regularly on mid to high end desktop systems. It makes sense that someone who spends the money for a raid setup vs a single disk should be able to get email notifications that there is a problem. I believe it should be relatively simple to add in to the software. I am hopeful that Intel will agree.

Thanks

• 11. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
                            EstebanC_Intel

Hello:

Sure I totally understand the need of having this for business purposes and IT management.

As soon as I finish up with my research on this, I will be providing you with the resolution of it.

If any additional information or support is needed, feel free to let me know.

Regards,

Esteban C

• 12. Re: No secure SMTP notifications in RST 12.8
                              EstebanC_Intel

Hello, All:

Just received more information about this situation.

Email notification option depends on the implementation. OEMs can enable/disable the option on the driver/UI.

As far as the Intel driver concerns, the option is also disable on latest revisions.

If you have an OEM system, please contact the manufacturer of your device to check if the feature is available with their support.

Regards,

Esteban C