13 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2014 12:20 PM by AlexT_Intel

Reboot button after firmware upgrade

franceslup

before updating the firmware, if I press the reboot button, the board goes down then I saw the on led, the Ethernet led and the USB led ON.

Now If I press the reboot button, the USB led remain off and I have to remove and plug the ac cable to use the board.

someone noticed the same issues?

• 1. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
          James.Giller

I also noticed the USB led remained off after pressing the reboot button, having updated the firmware.

• 2. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
            marcowip

I have the same issue.

• 3. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
              AlexT_Intel

Yes, I see the same behavior. Moreover, the RESET button seem to not work at all.

Steps to reproduce (100% repeatable for me):

1) Boot Galileo, connect to the computer (I have Windows);

2) Start Arduino IDE, ensure it sees the COM port and the board;

3) Start the Blink demo;

4) After the LED starts blinking, press RESET button - no effect, the LED continues to blink;

5) Press REBOOT button - USB LED switches off, Windows loses the COM port device, so does the IDE, but no matter for how long you wait, the board doesn't wake back up. Plugging USB cable off and on again doesn't help, only the full power cycle does.

Firmware version reported by the IDE is 782.

• 4. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
                AlexT_Intel

Looks like the reset button actually works fine, it's just the case that the sketch restarts so quickly that I haven't been able to notice that just by looking at the LED. After adding some code into the Blink sketch, it's obvious it does reset the sketch.

I'm still looking into the reboot button problem though. Reportedly it should be fixed with the new 0.8.0 Quark BSP available at https://downloadcenter.intel.com/Detail_Desc.aspx?agr=Y&DwnldID=23197&lang=eng&wapkw=quark+0.8+bsp (WARNING: it wasn't yet officially validated to work with the current Arduino IDE, thus wasn't announced yet in this community, so watch out if you want to try it out and make sure you know what you're doing), but I'm still waiting for my RS232-to-USB adapter to arrive to try that out.

• 5. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
                  AlexT_Intel

And I'm glad to confirm 0.8.0 indeed fixes the problem! I've just reflashed the board with the new SPI image out of the EFI capsule file I've built with my script and tested that Rebot button now indeed reboots the board as intended.

Good job Galileo team with fixing this!

If anyone is interested in getting the capsule file directly or needs instructions on how to build one beyond those in the BSP or in my GitHub repo's README - please post here.

• 6. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
                    franceslup

where is the 0.8?

• 7. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
                      rmm200

Like the others, Reset does nothing for me except hang the board until power cycle.

On the serial console, everything shuts down correctly - but never boots.

I am running a 0.8.0 Linux LSB image (love it) after stock firmware upgrade.

I would use a new CAP file - if 0.8.0 included one.

If forced to, I can build a new SPI image - but my luck on changing build types has been pretty bad.

Any failure requires a 24 hour build cycle on my vmware Linux box.

So I would like to get either a prebuilt CAP for 0.8.0, or have some assurance I can build an SPI image on top of my LSB build without messing up both of them.

As I understand it - I can put the CAP file in the Arduino 1.5.3 tree, throw away the .efi file, and update using the Arduino IDE.

Thanks for reading all that...

• 8. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
                        AlexT_Intel

Hi franceslup,

You can find the link to the BSP files in my earlier message in this very thread, it's dated

• 9. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
                          AlexT_Intel

You can definitely (with some symlink trickery) mix SPI and "full" images and it even won't recompile the application packages, I've been doing that.

But with eglibc vs. ulibc that won't work, I'm almost sure.

And if you don't have access to DediProg, I wouldn't try that trick at all :-)

I would rather recommend building the 0.8.0 SPI image from scratch, if you want to go that way. Or I can probably post the CAP file I built and used, just not today, as I'm not on the computer where I have my dev environment.

As far as the IDE way of upgrading you mentioned goes - theoretically that should work, because that's the same approach used for initial FW upgrade, but I haven't personally tried that - I have asked about that earlier here, having built the CAP file and not yet having a 3.5mm to serial cable, but haven't got any reply, so I didn't want to risk bricking the board. The recommended, UEFI Shell, way of upgrading went fine as you now know.

If you have access to the DediProg, that would be less risky, because in the worst case you can simply flash the full image. If you don't, well, depends on how willing you are to risk :-) Personally I'd rather recommend you to wait until they release the official FW update based on 0.8.0, which, I guess, would be using IDE and would be tested to work fine that way. Or get the 3.5mm to serial cable and do it via UEFI shell.

• 10. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
                            rmm200

Thanks again Alex. Power cycling is not a big issue for me so I can wait for the cap file.

My biggest, worst problems came from mixing a clanton-tiny distro with a clanton-full distro as target.

I think that implied a ulibc to glibc change, and got the most amazing set of undefined references.

I have not had any similar problems changing packages within a clanton-full distro build.

Begs the question - can I do a bitbake image-spi build against the clanton-full distro, which will use glibc?

What will flash think of glibc? But I guess that would mess up the ulibc Arduino sketches.

Maybe the only compatible solution is to use image-spi with distro-tiny.

• 11. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
                              AlexT_Intel

Begs the question - can I do a bitbake image-spi build against the clanton-full distro, which will use glibc?

I haven't tried :-) but even if you could, it'd for sure won't fit into 8MB limit, I think that was exactly the reason ulibc is used by default.

Maybe the only compatible solution is to use image-spi with distro-tiny

Compatible with what?

In general, you can always start from scratch by renaming your yocto_build directory into something else and running the setup.sh script again - that would preserve all your current files as well as generate the new clean environment with default settings. Then if you'd need to get back - you could rename the dirs the other way round or create a yocto_build symlink and point it to one or the other depending on your needs.

• 12. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
                                rmm200

When I say compatible solution, I mean one that retains the ability to run Arduino sketches if you boot without an SD card. Glibc is not compatible with the ide. That also means I can't run sketches with my LSB image, which hurts, but I really like g++ and all the full Linux toys. With WiFi and NTP support, I have full capabilities with no wires.

• 13. Re: Reboot button after firmware upgrade
                                  AlexT_Intel

I see. Well, when the SD card is not inserted it boots from SPI flash and that one has ulibc image, because eglibc one won't fit, so it is compatible.

So you can safely play with different kernels/images on the SD card and get back to a working IDE-compatible environment by simply rebooting it without SD card inserted. If that's what you meant :-)