6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 23, 2013 9:26 AM by Ziad Aghar

DX79 SI occasionally doesn't boot. After disconnecting from power it boots.

Lalala

For some time I have the following problem:

When I want to boot my system occasionally nothing happens. It behaves like there is no power. I can push the power button but nothing happens. Same behavior when I push the onboard power or reset switch (which are lighted, means: there is power).

After disconnecting from power for 5 to 30 min. and/or pushing the power button for approximately 30 sec. the systems boots flawlessly.

What I've done so far:

• BIOS-Update
      • Load BIOS defaults
      • Memtest86 (no Errors = RAM is okay)
      • AIDA System Test (everything okay)
      • GPU-Tests (everything okay)

When the problem has appeared the first time there was no hardware-change for long . Some days before this issue I've changed something (unfortunatly I've forgotten what exactly) in the power management of the intel network connection. (occasionally my network connection was disconnected - now solved)

Unfortunatly this issue appears randomly (e.g. last 4 days no probs), which makes trouble-shooting hard.

Maybe somebody has an idea.

System Specs:
      DX79SI AAG28808-600 BTSI20700040, BIOS Version SIX7910J.86A.0590.2013.0717.2343, Corsair Professional Series Gold AX750 750W ATX 2.31, Intel Core i7-3930K, 28596 MB Kingston HyperX KHX1600C9D3/4GX, SAMSUNG HD103SJ ATA Device (1000 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II), SAMSUNG HD753LJ ATA Device (750 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II), SAMSUNG SSD 830 Series ATA Device (SATA-III), NVIDIA GeForce GTX 570, NEC MultiSync PA301W, Microsoft Windows 7 Professional Service Pack 1

• 1. Re: DX79 SI occasionally doesn't boot. After disconnecting from power it boots.
          sylvia_intel

Hello Lalala, I would recommend you to test the system with minimal configuration but out of the chassis. Please connect the motherboard, processor, power supply, 1 memory stick and video card.

What we want to check is if any device is causing a grounding issue on the system.

Start adding one component at the time until you find the conflicting one.

If the issue persisted, you may want to swap the motherboard if possible.

• 2. Re: DX79 SI occasionally doesn't boot. After disconnecting from power it boots.
            Ziad Aghar

It's a great place to start where Sylvia suggested.

One more thing to consider:

• These symptoms are mostly related to the PSU and\or Motherboard. Given your high end PSU, I would start with the motherboard as per Sylvia's suggestion

That is an amazing monitor you have.

• 3. Re: DX79 SI occasionally doesn't boot. After disconnecting from power it boots.
              Lalala

Hello,

thanks for your answers. I know what you suggest is the standard troubleshooting procedure. But as I've told, the issue appears randomly and sometimes after days without any trouble.This would mean a big effort finding the reason of the trouble.

And to be honest I am also a bit tired of deconstructing and constructing my system once again because of trouble with the Mainboard. I have two systems equipped with the DX79si and the i7-3930k (all other components are different) and I've had to change both Mainboards after they have roasted themselves and my RAM (no overclocking!). I've never had so much trouble with a Mainboard so far and there were a few into the last 15 years.

My momentary solution is that I've plugged a switch in the power socket which I use to disconnect the Computer from power easily.

If somebody knows a more elegant way to solve this problem, please tell.

• 4. Re: DX79 SI occasionally doesn't boot. After disconnecting from power it boots.
                Ziad Aghar

Dear Lala,

I don't want to point this at you but have you considered the fact that maybe the problem is from your electric current. Especially the x79 series are very sensitive to electric fluctuations. To brick two boards & the third is on the way. It says there is something wrong.

I personally had some problems with my x79 both the Asrock & the Intel one. Until I got a good UPS  "something like APC with good protection". Clean power source from the outlet that is shared with nothing & a proper grounding is very necessary.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                • 5. Re: DX79 SI occasionally doesn't boot. After disconnecting from power it boots.
                  Lalala

Thank you Ziad Aghar, that could be a reason. Although, before I ran two

Core-2-Quad-Q6600-machines (Asus- and Gigabyte-board) on the same power source without having any trouble. Anyway. I'm gonna try this. The effort seams to be low - beside money.

By the way, for about 2 weeks I cut the power after I shut down the computer and I have no problem anymore. Maybe this information helps somebody to have an idea what causes the trouble.

• 6. Re: DX79 SI occasionally doesn't boot. After disconnecting from power it boots.
                    Ziad Aghar

I also had a Q6600 on a Gigabyte MB . Now it's sitting on the balcony doing nothing lool

It worked well on my old generic UPS. Ever since I assembled an X-58 system & now the X-79 I realized these specific electric issues. Especially, given that you are using a high end PSU which draws lots of power "especially on startup".

A good brand name UPS with good protection "doesn't have to be too fancy", & proper grounding is always a step in the right direction, even if it doesn't solve the problem.

Quick question:

After disconnecting the power from the PC, does it boot normally remembering your BIOS settings??