3 Replies Latest reply on Oct 4, 2013 9:48 AM by WJoost

DH87RL doesn't boot from harddisk in UEFI mode

WJoost

Hello,

after installing an operating system (Fedora 19) on an internal hard disk, there is no entry in the UEFI boot menu. I checked and corrected the settings with the linux command efibootmgr and from an UEFI shell with the bcfg command. But after a reboot the boot path is replaced with a VenHw(xxx..) entry and the entry is not shown by the boot manager.

Any ideas what's going wrong? How can I reinitialize the whole UEFI environment?

Thanks.

• 1. Re: DH87RL doesn't boot from harddisk in UEFI mode
          WJoost

Hello,

I found a workaround for this. I put an EFI shell on the boot partition in the directory EFI/boot and named it BOOTX64.efi .

Now, the firmware doesn't change the boot entry any more and booting works.

Multiple different boot entries still don't seem to work.

• 2. Re: DH87RL doesn't boot from harddisk in UEFI mode
            sylvia_intel

Hello WJoost, you may want to forward your inquiry to Linux* distribution support community for further assistance since this is an operating system that we do not support.

I really apologize.

• 3. Re: DH87RL doesn't boot from harddisk in UEFI mode
              WJoost

Hello sylvia_intel,

I know Intel doesn't support linux on this mainboard. But I hope you support the firmware of the board.

I just had a look into the UEFI Specification 2.4 from Juni 2013. In section 12.3.1.3 is written:

"[..] There may also be an optional vendor subdirectory called BOOT.

This directory contains EFI images that aide in recovery if the boot selections for the software installed on the EFI system partition are ever lost.[..]"

So, a file \EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.EFI (or BOOTIA32.EFI) is optional. However, the board firmware requires \EFI\BOOT\BOOx64.EFI to be present. Otherwise, it invalidates the BOOTxxxx-entries. In my eyes this is a violation of the EFI standard and a firmware bug.

It looks like Windows (at least Windows 2012) always puts a \EFI\BOOT\BOOTx64.EFI file on the EFI partition and therefore can boot.